Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

241 - 260 of 289 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've got a release date of 12/22/2014 so I'm guessing none of this would work in my favor.
Probably not. Things to look out for:

- Two usb slots, one with a picture of a phone and tablet
- larger, flat, car screen (i.e. no raised bezel)

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
So does anyone here have a dongle? Which one was the one that worked? Also if you have used it and it worked, would you be willing to resell it?

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
What year is your GLA? If built before December 2015 (MY 2016 production) a dongle might not be the solution for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tell us which one of the smaller activator you’ve bought. Also will you sell me yours ? Thanks

I have another confirmation that Carplay and Android Auto can be activated on pre-December 15 GLA's. After discovering Carplay settings in the engineering menu I decided to roll the dice and try an OBD activator. I bought one of the larger blue ones that cost about $80. It unlocked carplay no problem, but not andoid auto. So I took it to the dealer and asked for a firmware upgrade to a version between 11/16 and 11/17. They ended up giving me 12/17, and I lost carplay and the activator stopped working. I ended up learning that there are 2 different activation methods and 11/17 seems to be the cutoff. I got one of the smaller activators that claimed to work with 2018+ cars and it worked great. Have Auto and Carplay now.

My GLA:
MY 2016
Release Date: Oct 2015
Delivery Date: Early Nov 2015
Audio 20 Radio Navigation Capable NTG5. VIN code 522
HMI Version 13.07.2015
USB module part A1728201600. Did not need to change.

Hi, I am in the exact same situation than you. System uodated to 12/2017 and my big activator doesn't work. Please can you tell me where did you buy the small activator for 2018+ models?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve just bought a head unit NTG5*1 with a date of 03/04/2017 from a 2017 mercedes to replace my head unit, is this going to be a plug and play swap or I’ll need to have it coded ??? Thanks everyone. Also im in Wembley-London and I’ve a big blue activator that i can activate your car for free if you need it. Just pass by for a cuppa and the activation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What year is your GLA? If built before December 2015 (MY 2016 production) a dongle might not be the solution for you.
Sorry for responding late, I was having troubles logging in. Mine was built before December 2015 but it has all the trademarks of having the ability as it has the USB port with the screen icon and has the upgraded screen with navi.

What year is your car?

I see you are in Texas, I am too (in the Dallas area). Where in TX are you?
I am located in Houston.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just got my 2016 GLA HMI version 6/2016 to 12/2017. Can someone confirm which "activator" I need to be looking for?
Thanks, Jeff

I have another confirmation that Carplay and Android Auto can be activated on pre-December 15 GLA's. After discovering Carplay settings in the engineering menu I decided to roll the dice and try an OBD activator. I bought one of the larger blue ones that cost about $80. It unlocked carplay no problem, but not andoid auto. So I took it to the dealer and asked for a firmware upgrade to a version between 11/16 and 11/17. They ended up giving me 12/17, and I lost carplay and the activator stopped working. I ended up learning that there are 2 different activation methods and 11/17 seems to be the cutoff. I got one of the smaller activators that claimed to work with 2018+ cars and it worked great. Have Auto and Carplay now.

My GLA:
MY 2016
Release Date: Oct 2015
Delivery Date: Early Nov 2015
Audio 20 Radio Navigation Capable NTG5. VIN code 522
HMI Version 13.07.2015
USB module part A1728201600. Did not need to change.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I took my 2016 GLA my dealership, the told me I couldn't install it. But I'm still not convinced.

Production Date is 10/2015

The carplay menu option pops up, but every time i turn it on it the Variant Log, but turns off. Can someone help me out? Do I need to update my HMI and use the activator?

Your HMI version isn't updated, you need one from 09/2016 or 2017 to work. Your dealer has to make the update
So I went back to the dealership and finally was able to push them on updating the HMI. Which activator do I need to get?

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
So, I have found the various ODB activators and videos for Android Auto. Just bought a 2016 GLA and naturally it's never been activated.

So, on the various ODBs, however, they keep saying they are for a variety of MB models 2015+, but the GLA says it's for the W156 production.

My vehicle is listed as X156, as is the entire class according to MB. So what is the difference between the W156 and X156?

My vehicle was also produced prior to December 2015, it has a delivery date of November 2015, so how does that play into the situation? I have seen various info that certain ODB activators are for December 2015 production models and later.

I would love to easily and inexpensively activate Android Auto, you would have figured it would have been activated in a 2016 model, but also don't want to spend money on an ODB module that winds up not being compatible.

I can also confirm I have the Audio20 COMMAND module.

EDIT: I have a feeling the HMI has not been updated. How much does that cost to do?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
46 Posts
This is what I bought and it worked for me.

[ame]https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07QM6CSTS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Actually I want to install my car an Andriod Auto since my phone is also an Andriod system which I've got used to.

·
Registered
45 Posts
So, I have found the various ODB activators and videos for Android Auto. Just bought a 2016 GLA and naturally it's never been activated.

So, on the various ODBs, however, they keep saying they are for a variety of MB models 2015+, but the GLA says it's for the W156 production.

My vehicle is listed as X156, as is the entire class according to MB. So what is the difference between the W156 and X156?

My vehicle was also produced prior to December 2015, it has a delivery date of November 2015, so how does that play into the situation? I have seen various info that certain ODB activators are for December 2015 production models and later.

I would love to easily and inexpensively activate Android Auto, you would have figured it would have been activated in a 2016 model, but also don't want to spend money on an ODB module that winds up not being compatible.

I can also confirm I have the Audio20 COMMAND module.

EDIT: I have a feeling the HMI has not been updated. How much does that cost to do?

Thanks in advance.
I had the exact same model. 2016MY, manf. november 2015. I was able to get apple carplay after bitching at the dealership to make them do it. I had previously purchased one of those chinese plug-and-play moduels that people keep posting -- I think I Paid $85 for it. (It did not work). Wond up paying the dealership about $300. They actually replaced the USB moduel located in the arm rest (so it was a hardware update not just a software update.

If you look through my previous posts you can see the mercedes memo that I was able to show mercedes to convince them to make the upgrade, It took them like a week to figure it out, but i would guess at this point they are faster. I have had car play for over a year now :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the exact same model. 2016MY, manf. november 2015. I was able to get apple carplay after bitching at the dealership to make them do it. I had previously purchased one of those chinese plug-and-play moduels that people keep posting -- I think I Paid $85 for it. (It did not work). Wond up paying the dealership about $300. They actually replaced the USB moduel located in the arm rest (so it was a hardware update not just a software update.

If you look through my previous posts you can see the mercedes memo that I was able to show mercedes to convince them to make the upgrade, It took them like a week to figure it out, but i would guess at this point they are faster. I have had car play for over a year now :)
Thanks for the response. Not at all what I was hoping for, but glad I chose to wait before purchasing the OBD enabler.

I refuse to pay a dealer $300 or any amount of money for something that should already be enabled though, so it looks like I will going the mp3 route. Has anyone connected a USB flash drive to the aux connector inside the armrest to access stored media files? I am assuming it would act the same as if I connected my phone with stored mp3s or an iPod or other mp3 device.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2016 GLA 250 Production 10/2015 Activate apple carplay

There seems to be a million threads on this and cant find what I need
How do I activate apple carplay for my car 2016 GLA 250 Production 10/2015

I already have the two usb ports with one usb port with phone/tablet in the center armrest.

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
Welcome to the GLA forum. Unless you've got the multimedia package and/or gone through the dealer retrofit of wiring and software, the school solution is it is not doable for production prior to 1 Dec 2015. You've probably read the successful workarounds found here...and otherwise.

241 - 260 of 289 Posts