Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

261 - 280 of 302 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just got my 2016 GLA HMI version 6/2016 to 12/2017. Can someone confirm which "activator" I need to be looking for?
Thanks, Jeff
I just purchased and received this style activator and it doesn't seem to do anything. I get the "DIAG" on my screen and a couple of reboots, but it doesn't add the option for Carplay or Android Auto. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just purchased and received this style activator and it doesn't seem to do anything. I get the "DIAG" on my screen and a couple of reboots, but it doesn't add the option for Carplay or Android Auto. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Jeff
Hi Jeff,

The activator I used looks like it is larger than that one, but I can't say if that means there's a difference in software. Also, I'm in a weird spot where my car has a production date before Dec 15 (allegedly I shouldn't have been able to get it working), but it worked fine.

I helped another user who tried my activator and it didn't work for them, albeit they were trying it on an A Class and not a GLA.

Did you get any instructions with the activator? I think there was a certain set of steps I needed to follow (key to position 1 and engine not started, then use activator).

J

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
There were no instructions provided, but I did find a tutorial and watched a couple of videos. The reason I purchased the smaller one is because I read, earlier in this same thread, that if your HMI was updated to a version past a certain date, then the smaller one was the recommended one. Also, I've been told that the activator will not work on multiple vehicles, meaning once it's been used to update one vehicle, it's no longer usable. I cannot confirm this, however.

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
140 Posts

Thanks,

Jeff
You radio is probably not up to date for using this device.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #266
This worked for me and another member on this forum using the same OBD2 and after updating the HMI, we both have a MY2016. This may or may not work on your model year.

This was way back Sep 2017.

My MY2016 delivery date is 12/2015. My HMI was Oct 2015.

Failed to activate using the OBD2 for Android Auto, I already have Apple CarPlay. Was told by the seller to update HMI to at least Jun 2016.

Updated HMI to Nov 2016.

No issues activating Android Auto after this HMI update.

The OBD2 is from Autosvs, but I bought it from Unichip a reseller directly through long exchanges on WhatsApp before I bought it. I think both sellers are on Alibaba now.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
There seems to be a million threads on this and cant find what I need
How do I activate apple carplay for my car 2016 GLA 250 Production 10/2015
Read all of my previous posts. I have the exact same car as you, with the exact same number of usb ports etc. My retro-fitted carplay has been working for over a year :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm in Medellin with the ODB2 tool to activate Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Send me a private message. It works very good in the models A, B, CLA, GLA.
Had anyone problem looking the radio screen w. CarPlay ?. One day my screen turned unreadable, and very distortionned. It was imposible to view Waze and anything. After changing lighting cables nothing happened. At the end I turned off and restarted my iPhone X and images becomes normal and good quality. It is due to the phone memory ?? Please add your input on this issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Trying to summarize what is possible --
- MY 2016 and higher vehicles have been successfully updated
- COMAND is not required, the activator can work with Radio20 vehicles as well
- HMI version must be newer than 2016-12, has to be updated by dealer
- May be able to get the dealer to update HMI for free by reporting audio/bluetooth issues
- USB module in console must be the 2-port one, you can install or dealer can
- ODB activators can be found on Ali Express, eBay, Amazon. Prices in decline, $40 currently
- the larger ODB activators work with HMI versions 2016-12 to about 2017-12
- the smaller ODB activators work with newer HMI versions
- nobody has been successful (or has tried?) with a MY 2015 vehicle

Is that about right? I have a MY 2015 (August, end of model year) vehicle with Radio20 (523) and NaviBox preinstall (508), whatever that is. When I look at version information, it doesn't even mention HMI, nor does the screen look anything like what others have posted. So is it even possible to update HMI on this vehicle?
@Fuzz_Aldrin, looks like you have Radio20 and were able to get HMI updated - does it show on your version info? Trying to determine if this is even possible at all on MY 2015.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
@Fuzz_Aldrin thanks for the reply, I have been wondering for some time why my screen format on version info and other diagnostic / engineering screens is different than what others have posted. At first I thought it was because I have Radio20 and not COMAND, but since you have MY 2016 and Radio20, it seems that there must have been a significant change in the software between MY 2015 and 2016. Not sure if such a thing as an HMI update is thus even possible for MY 2015. One way to find out - take it to the dealer and ask.

·
Registered
10 Posts
DataMB

Actually to be sure your ODB2 will work in your car you hace to verify what type of radio you have in your car. Try to get it with DataMB.com, the code line is around 520 for the radio. It must be: 520 AUDIO 20 RADIO WITH USB INTERFACE NTG5. The HIW in my car is June 2016 and I din´t have any issue following the standard procedure:
Instructions
1. Open car key (method: do not step on the brakes press the start button, dashboard engine lights on but
do not start the engine).
2. Plug this OBD tool to car's OBD diagnose socket. (position: Under the steering wheel near the A-pillar)
3. Your car's screen will display DIAG and waiting for restart.
4. Your car's host will restart and enter into menu after 10 seconds.
5. Unplug the OBD tool and connect your phone, follow the prompts to confirm! Function activated and
perfect running!

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Three points for folks attempting this procedure:

1. Not all GLAs are created equally, there are a variety of GLA model and year derivatives in various regions around the globe. One size does not fit all.

2. Remember the law of unintended consequences, AKA collateral damage. If you aren't sure, don't have the comfort level you can return to the original configuration, probably best to leave this to a qualified technician.

3. Consider if this might have impact on any remaining warranty for your GLA.

·
Registered
1 Posts
DataMB

Actually to be sure your ODB2 will work in your car you hace to verify what type of radio you have in your car. Try to get it with DataMB.com, the code line is around 520 for the radio. It must be: 520 AUDIO 20 RADIO WITH USB INTERFACE NTG5. The HIW in my car is June 2016 and I din´t have any issue following the standard procedure:
Instructions
1. Open car key (method: do not step on the brakes press the start button, dashboard engine lights on but
do not start the engine).
2. Plug this OBD tool to car's OBD diagnose socket. (position: Under the steering wheel near the A-pillar)
3. Your car's screen will display DIAG and waiting for restart.
4. Your car's host will restart and enter into menu after 10 seconds.
5. Unplug the OBD tool and connect your phone, follow the prompts to confirm! Function activated and
perfect running!
Hello,

My WIN includes the 520 AUDIO 20 RADIO WITH USB INTERFACE NTG5.

Although it is an W213 E200d Mercedes, I thought it has the same entertainment system.
My target to retrofit Android Auto/carplay on this system without changing the whole cockpit to the new widescreen and comand version. :)

Under the armrest there is no USB port with the icon, so I guess, I have to change it to the unit 2468203800, in order to have the necessary USB connection.

Is there anybody who can confirm that this gonna work with w213 cars, what has the 520 AUDIO 20 RADIO WITH USB INTERFACE NTG5 .
The car does not have toucpad, just dial JOG, and MY is 2017.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello,

My WIN includes the 520 AUDIO 20 RADIO WITH USB INTERFACE NTG5.

Although it is an W213 E200d Mercedes, I thought it has the same entertainment system.
My target to retrofit Android Auto/carplay on this system without changing the whole cockpit to the new widescreen and comand version. :)

Under the armrest there is no USB port with the icon, so I guess, I have to change it to the unit 2468203800, in order to have the necessary USB connection.

Is there anybody who can confirm that this gonna work with w213 cars, what has the 520 AUDIO 20 RADIO WITH USB INTERFACE NTG5 .
The car does not have toucpad, just dial JOG, and MY is 2017.
According to Apple website, Carplay is in the following models:
  • Clase A (2016-2018)
  • Clase B (2016-2018)
  • CLA (2016-2018)
  • CLS (2016-2018)
  • Clase E Cabrio (2016-2018)
  • Clase E Coupé (2016-2018)
  • GLA (2016-2018)
  • GLE (2016-2018)
  • Clase E (2017-2018)
  • GLS (2017-2018)
  • SL (2017-2018)

·
Registered
10 Posts
please see

Thanks,

Jeff
Please see the threads below. enter yo MBDATA.COM, verify MY, code 520 (radio). Do you have the two USB ports ?? The OBD2 seems similar to the one I have.

·
Registered
58 Posts
please see

Please see the threads below. enter yo MBDATA.COM, verify MY, code 520 (radio). Do you have the two USB ports ?? The OBD2 seems similar to the one I have.
I have the code 520 and two USB ports (one with the image of a tablet or something like that). My build date is March of 2016. I THINK my issue now is that my HMI version is too new. 12/2017. I believe if the dealer had updated my radio to 11/2017, my OBD2 device would work, but I'm not 100% certain.

Thanks,
Jeff

261 - 280 of 302 Posts