Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK....I took delivery of my GLA 250 in White clothing 2 weeks ago. Not wanting to drive it in this crappy NY weather, salty roads, and sandy highways....AND I travel for a living and not wanting to leave this beauty at Newark Airport 3 weeks out of the month I went out and bought a "commuter car."

A brand new 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage DE MT. It's a $14,000 car....so I walked into the dealer and handed him $11,000 in cash and said "if you will take this for that new car....I'm driving it home NOW"

Needless to say.....

AND....it get's upward of 48 MPG on gas.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I have been told I am crazy too just thinking the line of logic you just implemented. DD/cheap vs keeping a nice vehicle nice.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks SSB.....I see it this way too.....

I drive 120 commuter miles a day when I am in the office...when I am not in the office the car sits at the airport 100 miles away from my house or 200 miles round trip.

I can totally rack up the miles on a beautiful car and suffer the consequences of having a car with mega mileage during those sunny day commutes or that drive to see the folks on Long Island. I can have a Mercedes for 10 years + with normal mileage or a mercedes that will have 150,000 miles on it in 5 years.

Plus....I expense the mileage and will quickly re-coup the cost of the commuter with it's economic nature in gas and repair.

It's a pretty cool car too.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Personally, I'll hold out for the Ford Fiesta RS! :)

I love cars, any size, shape, etc. Nice purchase DBLXX!!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Personally, I'll hold out for the Ford Fiesta RS! :)

I love cars, any size, shape, etc. Nice purchase DBLXX!!!
My major concern with that is how they price it, which if it goes on as a low volume vehicle if planned that way, could be more than some would consider justifiable.

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
Cars are built to be driven. Personally I would rather put the miles on my GLA and buy a replacement than drive a cheap economy car.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The GLA isn't a vehicle that I would protect from the elements. I just feel like the point of owning the vehicle is driving it, and if that leads to some wear and tear then so be it. I also can't imagine spending $11k just to protect the GLA.

To each their own though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had a MINI Cooper as my DD when I had my 370Z. It just got to be a hassle living in a townhouse with a shared rive and two-car garage.

As soon as we retire and buy a real house, I'm getting a Porsche GT3 and the GLA becomes my DD. Not a bad deal!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had a MINI Cooper as my DD when I had my 370Z. It just got to be a hassle living in a townhouse with a shared rive and two-car garage.

As soon as we retire and buy a real house, I'm getting a Porsche GT3 and the GLA becomes my DD. Not a bad deal!
i always like the mini but never owned one, got really discourage when i heard of all the transmission problems they have.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Obviously two very different lines of thought..as always, each to his own.

I have a nicely tricked out (performance wise) 2008 MINI Cooper S (purchased new) and the car is a totally hoot to drive. Also, zero problems with any of the mechanical systems (did have a squeaky pano roof which was corrected). MINIs are simple…you like or not so much;)

Reactions: gurneyeagle
1 - 11 of 11 Posts