Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, for the past 3 days I've been having some leakage under the engine every time I park the car. It's new GLA250 with only 1500 miles.

I am not entirely sure what is happening. I called my dealer and he mentioned that it's possible that it's the condensation coming from the A/C.

Today I drove without the A/C and doesn't look like it leaked but when I park, I can hear water dropping sounds without anything actually leaking (at least below the engine)

I also opened the hood to see this :(

Any clues ideas either about:
1. The yellow leak.
2. The water dropping sounds when shutting the engine.

Any help would be great

Attachments

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Agree with olmate, be in line first thing Monday at your dealer. My first sense was it has the look of fresh dried oil, but it seems kind of high in the compartment. If nothing else, you sure don't want it spreading and drying throughout the engine compartment, then burning away over the next 10K miles. However, your description seems to give it characteristics of a less dense fluid when you describe it as a water dripping sound.

Just for the heck of it, when was it built and is your GLA possibly one of the cam recall units?

Please let us know how it turns out. Here's hoping it's something that makes us slap our foreheads in simplicity!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both, I'll drop it on my dealership on Monday and hopefully it's something simple :( I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
816 Posts
In looking at your picture…the yellow material has a consistency (feel) of water? Yes? Or is it thicker similar to a solidified material? The reason I asked, it [liquid] has the appearance of a parafin based rust preventer that MB injects in seams and inside metal structural pieces.

·
Registered
172 Posts
In looking at your picture…the yellow material has a consistency (feel) of water? Yes? Or is it thicker similar to a solidified material? The reason I asked, it [liquid] has the appearance of a parafin based rust preventer that MB injects in seams and inside metal structural pieces.
My 2016 GLA 250 has the same looking yellow material in several spots under the hood. It is the paraffin based rust prevention mentioned above.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I have on the right side (see uploaded photo), but it is way less.
@SSBGLA45 It doesn't feel like water, it is very thick. I tried to gather a sample from both sides and it looks to the same (color and texture) and has no smell at all.

I hope it's just this...

Attachments

·
Registered
816 Posts
It is definitely the paraffin based rust inhibitor…your picture in your last post clearly shows the material... and when cold is pretty solid and when warm gets soft. The dripping sounds could just be the AC condensate… but of course have it checked out with the dealer.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I just found that I also have the yellow paraffin in the same general area as Patrick in his first photo. Tracing it back to source (that I can see), it seems to be coming from the upper right rear corner of the engine compartment, closest to the front passenger door. Glad to know what it is, but also probably an area for the MB quality assurance team at Rastatt to take a look at.

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
I think the dripping sound is most likely engine oil draining from the top end of the engine back to the oil pan after shut down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just came back from the dealership and the service technicians have been very helpful.

1. The yellow liquid is indeed for the rust as you guys mentioned and is nothing concerning, they showed me other cars as well in there with a similar look.

2. The dripping sounds are from the cold lately the metal is contracting but it mainly because it's brand new and eventually the sound should be at a lower pitch at least.

So I am happy again :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts