Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does the film change the appearance of the paint job? likewise over the clear plastic covers of the headlamps, does is look different after getting the film? can the film be replaced if it gets damaged, like a rock chip? Any input is helpful.
I found a place in Portland called 503 Motoring that does this kind of thing. It looks interesting.

·
Registered
816 Posts
All excellent questions…

I have been using Xpel clear film on my cars for years so I feel I can answer your questions (from my perspective anyway)..

FIRST AND FOREMOST in using high quality films, it is the skill of the installer that makes or breaks the final product. Just like going to a doctor, get references, talk to people who have used the installer and look at work he has done before. The best film can be botched (over work the film, poor seams or badly located seams, bad prep prior to installation etc.) by poor installers.

does the film change the appearance of the paint job?

Xpel Premium will not change the appearance (even on white cars) of areas covered by the film vs. areas not covered… here is my Lemans Blue C6 Corvette and the front fascia (nose) has the film and the hood does not…absolutely 0% of people who looked at my Vette knew there was a clear (bra) film installed. BTW I am extremely anal about the appearance of my cars so I tend to have a critical eye on finishes etc.

This was a lower quality film removed from a car and it had yellowed thus my comment about films on white cars…if the film yellows it will most definitely change the color appearance on a white car and yes will effect the hue of color on darker cars

plastic covers of the headlamps, does is look different after getting the film

You can have the film (Xpel) installed on the headlight covers without appearance change. There is some debate about having films (any type) installed on Xenon headlight assemblies due to possibility of heat retention. There are two very separate camps of thinking on this matter. I chose not to have the film installed on the headlights of the C6 Vette.

can the film be replaced if it gets damaged, like a rock chip?

Absolutely…one of the great advantages of protective films it that it takes the beating and then can be replaced. Some say 'why have film because of cost etc?' and if paint gets a chip just repair. Repairs of paint and attempts of paint blending rarely work out particularly with metallic paints.

Couple other points:
-If you are considering a clear protection film, do not go the cheap route (unknown film brands [Xpel Premium is well known and is top tier) or with 'I can install films with no problem..started last year and decided to start my own business'…experience counts! If the guy has lots of razor knifes lying about that is a 'heads up' and start with 'do you remove the headlights/emblems etc or cut around them?'

-Lots of discussion with GLA's about "mud flaps"… I know their purpose, but have a hard time thinking about having them (many have no problems with mud flap appearance and that is what is important…what you like it is your car). I went the route on my Vette to use film and did it work…Vettes are known for getting the trailing edge of wheel openings beat to death with road debris so my solution (of which I will do with the GLA45)

-Don't wait if you have a new car… if the paint gets chipped installing clear film after the fact will NOT hide the chip. When I get delivery of my GLA45 (hopefully next month [April], the first thing I will be doing is taking it in for the Xpel film installation.

-Film coverage…here there is a wide range of choices… front fascia/headlights/hood (bottom half or full coverage/outside mirrors/wheel well openings and running boards/A pillar and leading edge of roof etc. A qualified installer will show you the actual patterns for a GLA (I am not sure if you have a 250 or 45 or a Euro model) and you can decide coverage..

https://www.xpel.com/products/paint_protection_kits.asp

I am a firm believer in protective films and Xpel is my choice (no I do not sell/affiliated with etc etc with Xpel). Depending on coverage, expect cost (installed) to be $600 to $1100.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, that was perfect. lots of great information. We will be ordering the South Seas Blue, just like you. I will wait until Dunn Auto Graphics does the striping before getting a full body Xpel. 503 Motoring up in Portland come highly recommended for the film install. The only thing I have not found out yet is the cost. I am almost afraid to ask.
Speaking of striping, I am going for a silver that matches the color of the rear bumper with a dark blue or black accent. None of the overdone hot rod flame stuff. He is really good at doing understated, if that is what you want. LINK

·
Registered
816 Posts
Interesting…. I did not select from screen shots or brochures the SSB color UNTIL I saw a GLA250 in the color and it was instant 'WOW that is the color we want'. If you have not see SSB in the real when you do you will be totally taken by the color and depth of the finish.

Pin stripe…there are IMO two possible pin strip locations and the one I think would capture the lines of the car is a pin strip following the crease line starting from the headlight down the the side and dying in the rear quarter.

Would be interested in seeing what 503 comes up with…

Oh…full body Xpel…you can throw my estimate $ numbers out the door..that is going to run in the same price range as if you were doing a full body vinyl wrap. Need deep pockets.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was totally sold on the Jupiter Red. Our dealer has a SSB featured in the showroom. I noticed it immediately but did not consider it since I was still all Red. My wife saw the SSB and loved it so it began to grow on me. Now I love it too....such a wuss!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts