Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wonder if getting tune would void factory & CPO & extended warranty? Bought a 2018 for wife, she wants it quite, Then I want it faster. Lol

·
Super Moderator
303 Posts
This is an oft asked question across many brands without a black & white answer. Technically yes it will void the warranty as a tune overwrites MB code and thereby may directly/indirectly adversely affect reliability in their view.

However .... at least in the USA, if you have a drivetrain issue and take it in for warranty repair the manufacturer is required to prove that the tune had a direct bearing on the failure issue before they can summarily void same ... lawyers amongst us feel free to augment...

Via the OBDII interface sometimes the tech's have to go digging to see the altered code and other times it is readily apparent.

btw: I once had a tune done by an Audi dealership under a special arrangement with APR so no contention possible, but that's a rarity. However I had to have it removed when it precluded interface with my State's, at the time, antiquated emission inspection equipment.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Wonder if getting tune would void factory & CPO & extended warranty? Bought a 2018 for wife, she wants it quite, Then I want it faster. Lol
Welcome to the forum, I see you decided against working for a living as your Pops clearly did, Nice schutzenschnur, silver is tough to get

Huey has it about right, the mag-moss keeps them from saying that the Blaupunkt stereo you installed caused the transmission to fail.

but at the end of the day, it comes down to 3 things.
did the dealership diagnostic catch the reflash back to stock.
Is Mercedes North America involved
Is the service manager a dick.

Some dealers are "mod friendly". but that data is anecdotal at best, and not something youll find here

When you show up at the dealer with a funny noise tranny (car, not GF) which from what I gather is the #1 failure point
the service manager has one mission, charge it off to Merc, or deny the claim. they are not going to eat it independently without a struggle. So long as Merc does not know you were playing, and pays the dealer to replace the tranny, the dealer could give less than a **** what you did.

Avoid enjoying the car until the trans temp turns white, Just sayin

·
Registered
469 Posts
go rennthech if worry

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Supposedly Renntech tunes might be covered on warranty; however, I’ve spoke to one of their rep and didn’t get a solid answer if MB warranty is okay with their tune.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Supposedly Renntech tunes might be covered on warranty; however, I’ve spoke to one of their rep and didn’t get a solid answer if MB warranty is okay with their tune.

So, you asked a private company in florida, if a corporation based in Europe would be cool with you, letting them, change the programming on a product.

Definitely a 13 bravo thought process there Sir

·
Registered
469 Posts
all md dealers sell renntech products, thats why they cover it, hello!

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
I will very likely use a renntech tune, as they do have an outstanding reputation. They likely have very few actual issues with mechanically breaking motors thru poor tuning parameters. they may even intercede at the dealer level should an issue arise. That said, once you rockup to a dealer with a flashed ECU and get a diagnostic done, MBUSA will flag your VIN in the database. What happens should you need warranty work at a later date will be up to MBUSA, not the dealer after that.

Those of you interested in the topic should read the renntech website, I have posted the pertinent section here

Separately,
all md dealers sell renntech products, thats why they cover it, hello!

Skip to the 6th paragraph. You will find comprehending the meaning of the words difficult, so get your smart friend to help

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had a piggyback tune that was horrible , all torque at 3k rpm and no horsepower. Later i got the renntech ecu tune that uses a plug in module to the obd2 port so you can go back and forth between stock and tuned. The car is faster now with nice linear power. You could roll into the dealer with the stock tune and at least they would have to look for it. With vw/audi they definitely look , mercedes maybe not so much

·
Registered
469 Posts
I will very likely use a renntech tune, as they do have an outstanding reputation. They likely have very few actual issues with mechanically breaking motors thru poor tuning parameters. they may even intercede at the dealer level should an issue arise. That said, once you rockup to a dealer with a flashed ECU and get a diagnostic done, MBUSA will flag your VIN in the database. What happens should you need warranty work at a later date will be up to MBUSA, not the dealer after that.

Those of you interested in the topic should read the renntech website, I have posted the pertinent section here

Separately,

Skip to the 6th paragraph. You will find comprehending the meaning of the words difficult, so get your smart friend to help
really? ask my smart friend to help me, really? coz i am stupid, really?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I would like to comment. The renntech T&C's and advice redirected from post 9 is very general, standard language. They inform of US law governing vehicle warranty language, and I think make it clear that if you say tune your vehicle with a renntech tune it does NOT totally void a vehicle warranty, but rather it COULD void a warranty related to what that part affects, i.e. engine, tranny, drivetrain, type failures as example.

This subject is of interest to me right now as a matter since I just contacted them about their HHT plug in tune (not ECU removal, send for flash, blah blah). My reason for contacting them is originally I wanted to go with a Vivid Racing tune of same sort, plug and play, no pulling ECU, and it was less than half the price of Rt. However, I also read of some consumer issues where mechanical damage had been done to a Porsche motor, a few others, with Vivid not standing behind product.

All these products warn that if you are combining them with other performance products, you may have no warranty/recourse with said company since factors are out of their control. Their product is designed for the MB AMG vehicle it was installed on, sans other aftermarket parts.

Rt seems to have a "cozy" relationship with MB dealers, they markup already expensive products. The Rt owner that started the company back in '89 was focused on AMG only before branching out, and is German, company in US based in Florida.

Bottom line, I decided that if I get this plug in tune, I'd pay twice the price and buy Rt since I cannot find any consumer posts compliaining of issues, or not backing their product. I have no warranty issue to worry about at this point, other than an issue related with this product comes out of my pocket.

Reactions: caug

·
Registered
469 Posts
Please post dyno numbers with RT if you gonna dyno it, very interested to see the results.
Thanks,
c

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
I had a piggyback tune that was horrible , all torque at 3k rpm and no horsepower. Later i got the renntech ecu tune that uses a plug in module to the obd2 port so you can go back and forth between stock and tuned. The car is faster now with nice linear power. You could roll into the dealer with the stock tune and at least they would have to look for it. With vw/audi they definitely look , mercedes maybe not so much

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
I would like to comment. The renntech T&C's and advice redirected from post 9 is very general, standard language. They inform of US law governing vehicle warranty language, and I think make it clear that if you say tune your vehicle with a renntech tune it does NOT totally void a vehicle warranty, but rather it COULD void a warranty related to what that part affects, i.e. engine, tranny, drivetrain, type failures as example.

This subject is of interest to me right now as a matter since I just contacted them about their HHT plug in tune (not ECU removal, send for flash, blah blah). My reason for contacting them is originally I wanted to go with a Vivid Racing tune of same sort, plug and play, no pulling ECU, and it was less than half the price of Rt. However, I also read of some consumer issues where mechanical damage had been done to a Porsche motor, a few others, with Vivid not standing behind product.

All these products warn that if you are combining them with other performance products, you may have no warranty/recourse with said company since factors are out of their control. Their product is designed for the MB AMG vehicle it was installed on, sans other aftermarket parts.

Rt seems to have a "cozy" relationship with MB dealers, they markup already expensive products. The Rt owner that started the company back in '89 was focused on AMG only before branching out, and is German, company in US based in Florida.

Bottom line, I decided that if I get this plug in tune, I'd pay twice the price and buy Rt since I cannot find any consumer posts compliaining of issues, or not backing their product. I have no warranty issue to worry about at this point, other than an issue related with this product comes out of my pocket.

·
Registered
19 Posts
To the OP...

Of course it impacts your CPO warranty. AMG didn't hand-build and custom-tune this engine for Renntech or Eurocharged to customize in the aftermarket. AMG won the British GP at Silverstone yesterday and even their old '19 engines are in a bunch of very competitive private team cars. How did the Renntech team or Eurocharged Performance team do? It's a nice idea but the local MBZ dealer isn't our pit crew. Ask the tuner what kind of warranty they'd provide.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I went with a Weistec tune on my '16 CPO 45 and have had the vehicle in several times for warranty work without any issues whatsoever. It's always buyer beware when it comes to modifying your ride, but at the end of the day, as others have mentioned, it's up to the dealer to prove what you modified caused or led to the failure of the part being warrantied. In my opinion, the risk was worth the entry fee.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would at least wait a year or 2 with a new amg to make sure nothing goes wrong with the car. A good tune probably has less potential to do harm through higher stress than a tune plus hardware and the biggest factor probably is how the car is driven and maintained

·
Super Moderator
303 Posts
I would lean the other way. Folks often tune a vehicle without regard to the additional load on the ancillary systems such as intercooler capacity, oil supply to turbo, fuel flow, etc. If all systems are upgraded when a tune is performed there should be less stress overall. Although having said that, typically an even higher tune stage is applied when hardware is upgraded so ....

Let's keep in mind that a tune is taking advantage of the over-engineering of the drivetrain in most high end and enthusiast vehicles. It's very similar in principle to overclocking a computer in that regard. However at a point the stress is transmitted to the weakest link in the systemic chain. In an overclocked computer you know you've gone too far when the system becomes unreliable or worse halts, usually as a result of excessive heat soak. Same for a tuned vehicle.

Certainly how the tuned vehicle is driven and maintained as you cite are major factors. I've been reasonable with Stage 1 tunes and they do wake up the applied vehicle. Long term data is rarely available however since enthusiasts tend to turn over tuned vehicles more readily than non-tuned.

.... A good tune probably has less potential to do harm through higher stress than a tune plus hardware and the biggest factor probably is how the car is driven and maintained

1 - 19 of 19 Posts