Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Please make it stop! I’ve read through all the threads on this topic here as well as other MB and non-MB sites and have yet to find a definitive answer.

My wipers chatter/shutter/judder – even brand new. Both directions, all wipers. I’ve tried all the remedies – cleaned the windows, Rain-X, no Rain-X, glass polish, scrubbing with polishing compound, clean with alcohol (both blade and window). to no avail. I’m afraid I’m going to break an arm off at some point.

They seem to be aligned correctly, I’ve tried different brands (now have Bosch), and I have noticed that the few times I’ve used a commercial car wash it got worse. I suspect it’s one of the cleaners or coatings/rinse aids they use, but even going back to hand washing with my usual Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner isn’t working this time. Again, brand new wipers. I didn’t have the problem the first year I had the car.

I live in an area with poor air quality, and acid rain is a slight issue. The areas the wipers don’t hit have some droplet etching (resembling hard water stains like you get on glasses out of the dishwasher) that I can’t get rid of.

I’m begging, please someone help.

·
Super Moderator
795 Posts
I have Mr. Clean Eraser Sheets does a great job in cleaning windows

Reactions: Huey52

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Super Moderator
650 Posts
When all else fails I use 0000 steel wool (aka "four ought"). It's the finest, least abrasive and won't harm the glass.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've tried SOS as well as several other "chemicals" on steel wool. From what's being suggested by 'yall is it's a dirty windshield. I imagine anything that will sit on the glass will pick up contaminants. I'll give it a shot again, because I'm just short of wet sanding with 800 grid paper now.

·
Super Moderator
650 Posts
Clean the new wiper rubber as well. I got an Audi set once that created more problems than they solved until I figured that one out.
I've tried SOS as well as several other "chemicals" on steel wool. From what's being suggested by 'yall is it's a dirty windshield. I imagine anything that will sit on the glass will pick up contaminants. I'll give it a shot again, because I'm just short of wet sanding with 800 grid paper now.

·
Registered
164 Posts
ya, happened to my too. trice changed still can't resolved the chattered/squeeking anoying really.

now a days i used aftermarket wiper blade. no more anoying/ embarrassing wiper juddering. well the wiper not as good as mb wiper in term of cleanliness but it ok, cause i use rainguard washer fluid . rainguard doesn't work with mb wiper, it still squeeking.

funny, the squeeking only happened on gla not on my c300. i wonder why

Sent from my SM-A525F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nick,
Have you run the issue by your MB Service Advisor?
Let's just say "service advisors" have been "less than useful" Geo. Which is why I have mine serviced by an indie now.
We have three dealerships here and they do "network", but technicians say they get the claim often, and depending on the production year, the fix varies from spring tension, arm position, glass cleanliness, bad wipers, etc. Ironically, I took a rock to the windshield and will have it replaced. We'll see what effect (if any) that has.
I work in the architecture industry and have access to some great "experts" including glass. I've gotten quite the education recently.

Reactions: Geo K

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nick, Suggest printing this dialog and visiting the MB Service Lane and letting us know the Official MB response.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The wiper chatter is most likely caused by the wipers not "flipping" over and leaning the other way when changing directions. It's like the blade is leaning into the direction, instead of being dragged away. For example, try pushing your hand across the grass at an angle, then drag it.

In my experience, getting new blades fixes the issue, but I'm sure there can be several causes for this issue. When the blades sit for an extended period of time leaning one way, they can kind of develop a memory towards that position, and resist flipping on the direction change.

You said you have tried new blades, so perhaps the age or condition of the blade is not the issue. I have not experienced this with any vehicle, but maybe the arm pressure against the windshield is too high, and the blade is not being allowed to flip over on the direction change? Or the friction between the blade and the glass is not high enough to grip the blade edge and flip it over?

You should try to see if the blade is flipping on the direction change. Maybe your glass is too slippery?!?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nick, Suggest printing this dialog and visiting the MB Service Lane and letting us know the Official MB response.
Done that on several occasions Geo, only to be sent home with a $25 bottle of windshield cleaner or a $90+ pair of wipers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The wiper chatter is most likely caused by the wipers not "flipping" over and leaning the other way when changing directions.

Thanks Rich, yes I’ve heard what you describe as “shoveling”. I’ve had that happen with vehicles in the past, mainly from the wiper taking on a “permanent bend” after sitting in the parked position over time. These do “park” perfectly perpendicular to the glass and will flip in each direction. The glass almost seems “tacky” and they tend to want to grab. You may be on to something though – I’m getting the windshield replaced today and talking with my glass “expert”. I’ll post anything I find out.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I also really like having Rain-X on my windshields. That might "slippery" it up for you a little?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I also really like having Rain-X on my windshields. That might "slippery" it up for you a little?
Tried Rain-X, glass wax, and glass polish Rich. With our rain, any topical treatment turns to mush.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update:
So, new wipers, new windshield and it still does it, though not to the annoying degree that I worry about breaking off an arm.
Talking to my “glass expert”, after he taught me how to read “the bug” (the numbers in the bottom passenger corner), my specific windshield (type III) may have been made in China with a plastic film even though approved for use in Belgium. Also appears this car has three different glass manufacture dates between 2009 and 2015 for the rear, sides and windshield.
After going over the issue at the shop that replaced it (Safelite – can’t recommend them enough), and adjusting the arms to what I’d consider perfect, the only thing we can come up with is that the wipers – and I can’t find OEM – are just manufactured more cheaply (what isn’t these days). The ones I got which are “universal fit” with all the adapters, just have way too much slop in the fit.
I didn’t have the issue with the direct fit ones I bought last year until they got about a year old.
Also, any treatment or car wash residue/wax on even a microscopically pitted windshield, is near impossible to get off cleanly and just adds to the gunk, and any film, once disturbed or scratched is toast.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Wow! That's nuts how much effort you've got into this! Total bummer.

I found OEM wipers online for my E350 at https://www.autohausaz.com for a little less money. The GLA45 hasn't needed replacement yet. Not sure where you are located, but I'm in the USA.

I wonder if the spring pressure against the windshield is a factor?

Some cars I don't mind tossing the average aftermarket wipers on, but some just really want the factory wiper blades, Especially at high speeds,

·
Super Moderator
650 Posts
So, given a now new windshield it must be the aftermarket wiper blades. As RichZilla cites there are some parts that you simply have to bite the more costly bullet and go OEM. Aftermarket tends to be a false economy given typically needing more often service/replacement and/or less than optimal performance. Hope you can find an OEM set at some point Nick, especially given all the time you've already invested in your issue.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow! That's nuts how much effort you've got into this! Total bummer.

I found OEM wipers online for my E350 at https://www.autohausaz.com for a little less money. The GLA45 hasn't needed replacement yet. Not sure where you are located, but I'm in the USA.

I wonder if the spring pressure against the windshield is a factor?

Some cars I don't mind tossing the average aftermarket wipers on, but some just really want the factory wiper blades, Especially at high speeds,
Every car has it’s quirks – my Nissan needed a new muffler every few years. I thought about spring tension, and it does seem high. Someone suggested the spring just gets less “springy” over time, but the tech even put a tension gauge on it – basically a glorified fish weighing scale – and it seems withing spec.
I’m in North Carolina and those “OEM” at autohausaz are exactly what I have on.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Holy crap, no wonder you're looking for suggestions. You've tried all of them so far.
The "OEM" wipers from autohausaz aren't actually OEM? I guess I just assumed they were since they came in pretty official looking Mercedes packaging?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts