Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
My new toy came with run flat, ( no spare tire). Now i need winter tires for canada weather. Do i have to get runflat or regular tires will do the job. The regular about 1000 CAD the RF 1700" CAD. A bit confused.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
870 Posts
There is an option of a regular tire, a can of flat fix, and an air compressor you plug in the lighter socket.

Reactions: silab

·
Registered
2015 GLA 4matic
113 Posts
Hi.
My new toy came with run flat, ( no spare tire). Now i need winter tires for canada weather. Do i have to get runflat or regular tires will do the job. The regular about 1000 CAD the RF 1700" CAD. A bit confused.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
I just switched to non run-flats so I have been looking for a spare. Here's one of the options I have been considering: 2020-2021 Mercedes GLA Class (H247*) Spare Tire Kit Options

·
Registered
2015 GLA 4matic
113 Posts
I just switched to non run-flats so I have been looking for a spare. Here's one of the options I have been considering: 2020-2021 Mercedes GLA Class (H247*) Spare Tire Kit Options
I found my solution:
The "donut" from an '07 S550 (my tires are slightly oversized, so this was the closest in diameter---within 3mm), used (barely) on eBay $190 (with lugnuts). From a different seller, I found the jack + compressor, etc tool kit for $175 (also included new lug nuts, guide pin thing, lug wrench, tow hook, wheel chock) for a 2013 R320. I sewed up a tool roll/wrap thing to store all the tools in the area under the trunk deck. I plan to keep the wheel on my roof basket, but haven't come up with a way to do that yet.

SO, for a little under $400 I have all MB-original equipment for a tire change that works for my car, including the cute little compressor.

Ideally, I will never need it, but that's what being prepared for anything is all about, right?

·
Registered
2015 GLA 4matic
113 Posts
I found my solution:
The "donut" from an '07 S550 (my tires are slightly oversized, so this was the closest in diameter---within 3mm), used (barely) on eBay $190 (with lugnuts). From a different seller, I found the jack + compressor, etc tool kit for $175 (also included new lug nuts, guide pin thing, lug wrench, tow hook, wheel chock) for a 2013 R320. ...
The way I found what MB model spare would work was I did a search on eBay for "Mercedes spare" and looked at the tire sizes on the listings, which typically also listed the car model they were from. My OEM stock tires were 235/50R18 (with a 46mm offset), which converts to 27.24" (or 692mm) diameter.
My current tires are 225/60R17 (with a 45mm offset), which converts to 27.64" (or 702mm) diameter. So, I was looking for 702mm diameter.

I used www.wheel-size.com/calc/ to put in the numbers from all the MB spares I found on eBay. You can also put in the offset there (which is also usually found printed on the spare rims or in the documentation for the original MB model the wheel is from as well). But, let's not go too crazy, right? You're only going to be driving on this long enough and slow enough to get somewhere safe to get your tire repaired or replaced at your discretion, not some tow truck driver's!

I have attached the diameter of each that I scribbled down, but that probably doesn't help a whole lot because I didn't note MB model numbers until I found something in my target range (700mm, which fits a S500, CL550, W216, W221). But, at least my scribbles can save you some time if you're wondering what sizes end up with what diameter. Happy shopping!

Handwriting Font Writing Number Paper

1 - 5 of 5 Posts