Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is my first winter with my gla45 amg and I am confused as to what size tires and rims to put on. My summer tires are 235 45 r19. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Sue

·
Registered
475 Posts
same size

·
Registered
53 Posts
235/50r18 Michelin x-ice3 have served me well for 2 winters. I’d recommend them if you need a dedicated snow tire vs all season.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Where are you located?
In Canada, MBC offers wheel and tire packages for winter. An AMG 18" wheel with the follow recommended tire:

Winter Sottozero 3 - MO
Mercedes OriginalPart #: TPIR2428000WSize: 215/55R18Load / Speed / Ply: 99 / V / XL

·
Super Moderator
412 Posts
Most folks seasonally transitioning to full Winter tires (recommended/required in Canada) go with a smaller rim size, typically 18" with some 17". This is to provide a taller sidewall (better slicing down to tarmac and some pothole resistance) and also less expense both wheel and tire (why pay more when likely sand/salt blasting). Same rationale GLA45 and 250.

same size [OEM 19" cited]

·
Registered
90 Posts
I run jumbo 245/50-18 on 8" wide rims for my summers and 235/55-17 Pirelli P7 all-seasons for winter time. It turns out I bought a place farther north of here, more driving in more snow... so I may get snows on the orig 18x7.5" wheels. Something like 225/55-18, they are ideal at 1.8% over stock size.

I recommend the 17's though. The cars rides nice, like areal Mercedes.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I bought 18" Enkei Racing wheels for my winter tires, and they clear the brake calipers by about 3mm. Not much! Definitely not going to fit 17's on a GLA45. You definitely have to pay attention to the clearance when going to the 18" wheels. My tires are 235/50-18 to get as close to the factory tire diameter as possible.

·
Super Moderator
412 Posts
As we know there are two clearance concerns when migrating to smaller diameter Winter wheels on a GLA45 wrt the big front brake calipers. 1) The interior diameter of the wheel clearing the outer circumference of the caliper but also 2) the wheel spoke interiors clearing the caliper face (related both spoke design and positive offset). I have large front calipers on my Audi TTS and most 18" rims were fine circumferentially but many spoke/positive offset rim designs wouldn't clear the face. Rial and Enkei are a couple without issues, provided I went with a fairly aggressive positive offset (lower ET number = more pushed out from the fender). I'm not fan of spacers so again acceptable positive offset was my criteria.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts