Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dumb question; what do you guys use for windshield washer fluid? I see there is an MB concentrate but just wondering what you are using. Is the MB fluid the choice of champions and worth it or is there something else that is as good, if not better, than that?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
979 Posts
MB is likely from concentrate, e.g. : https://www.amazon.com/nextzett-921...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Best to mix this with deionized water to avoid hard mineral spots.

If you want to apply some Rain-X at the same time: https://www.amazon.com/Rain-X-White...2ENVN6BSTYY&psc=1&refRID=MC92AKKKJ2ENVN6BSTYY

But honestly Prestone year 'round is sufficient: https://www.amazon.com/Prestone-Sea...s=Prestone+Washer+Fluid&qid=1618569010&sr=8-2

Whatever you get make sure it's ammonia-free.

·
Registered
122 Posts
For over 20 years I have bought a case each year of the premixed GM Optikleen Windshield Washer fluid from our local GM store. We have found that the rubber bits (i.e. windshield wiper blades) last the life of the car 45-48 month leases we normally do as there seems to be something in Optikleen that conditions the rubber.
We used a MB additive and distilled water on our last GLA for two years and the wiper blades were finitio and the replacements on Optikleen were still good after 2 years. Our 2011 Volvo S60’s blades lasted 6 seasons before they were not effective, which we attributed to Optikleen. It also works to -35C. I have no idea if Optikleen is available outside of Canada but, based on my experience, it is the go to washer fluid.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The product we buy is:
I do not believe it is the same as what you can buy on Amazon but it could be but in concentrated form.

If memory serves me correctly, this is the latest version of what most GM cars in North America came with some years back (i.e. 70's), when the fluid was under the hood in a glass three sided vessel. It comes premixed so you just pour it in the reservoir. In the warmer months often dilute about 50% and works just fine. Winter no dilution to ensure the -35C protection for the system plus great removal of any ice or the like if need be.

We have tried the highly rated concentrated German fluids, including Kristall Klar and Sonax but not as good as we have found this (IMHO) and not good when it gets cold! The Prestone 3 in 1 is not bad but not as good as Optikeen for us plus is not readily available here in Toronto.

We have even carted a couple of jugs to Italy when necessary for our first GLA45 (2015) we keep in Panzano (has been 4 years since the wiper blades have been changed... :) ) since we got it in 2016 so we must love Optikleen as well as the old girl (which I am missing after changing from our 2018 to the 2021 here and C19 travel restrictions as the 2021 is a very different best than the old body series.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.