Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new 2020 GLA 250 4MATIC a while ago, and I did the first car wash this morning . :) I noticed the top edge of the windshield has a big gap between the roof metal and the glass, and there is no rubber seal for the gap. Is this normal for all the GLA's. Thanks everyone!

·
623 Posts
There is no rubber seal that overlaps the windshield. The glass sets on top on of a frame and then you have the roof panel. I also have a 2013 SLK and it is the same way. Strange but it works and does not leak.

Reactions: bagla20

·
Super Moderator
352 Posts
Again a photo would be helpful to determine any unusual gap. As gbarringer cited there are no windshield/screen gasket seals in modern vehicles. Today they're 3M urethane-bonded which is a much better weather and safety sealing methodology compared to the ol' days when the glass sat in the seam of a flexible gasket, and not quite as old when a non-hardening pitch-like material was used.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry guys, my apologies, here is the photo:

I walked around the neighborhood last night and noticed some other cars also don't have the top rubber seals; however GLA's gap still looks bigger than others in my opinion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I also found this video on Youtube for replacing a windshield glass on a GLA (the title says GLC, but it is for GLA). Throughout the entire process, I don't see the technician taking out any seal from the top edge (only cutting). It looks like there is no top seal, but again it is hard to see since the whole roof is black as well. Just like gbarringer mentioned, I guess it is normal for the GLA and other modern cars.

I guess the reason this caught my attention is that it did trap lots of water after I washed the car, and the contrast with white paint and dark glass makes the gap really noticeable. My finger can also slide in and feel the gap.

·
Super Moderator
352 Posts
I was just washing our GLA and noticed that we have exactly the same windshield-roof gap. The water runs out of it very easily standing still and of course even better with the vehicle in motion.

Obviously I wasn't concerned about it and never really noticed until your post prompted me to look closer. :unsure:

Sorry guys, my apologies, here is the photo:
View attachment 25928
I walked around the neighborhood last night and noticed some other cars also don't have the top rubber seals; however GLA's gap still looks bigger than others in my opinion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts