Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently my driver side wiper arm is hitting the A pillar at the side of the windscreen when in use as it appears it has been placed out of position. Thinking back I think this must have happened after turning on the wipers and it getting stuck with ice. See photos to show how out of position it is compared to usual.

Is this broke or is there a DIY fix available? I’m cautious about trying anything in case I make this worse.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
509 Posts
It may have simply slipped/rotated on its connection point upon impact with the ice. There is often an actuation motor self-protection "break away" engineered into same.

Sometimes you can loosen the arm nut, reposition the arm back to proper location, and then retighten.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It may have simply slipped/rotated on its connection point upon impact with the ice. There is often an actuation motor self-protection "break away" engineered into same.

Sometimes you can loosen the arm nut, reposition the arm back to proper location, and then retighten.
That’s really helpful thank you.

I don’t suppose you know of any how to guides or how you would get to the arm nut? Is the top part literally just something you can remove by either twisting or levering upwards?

·
Super Moderator
509 Posts
Alas I have no personal experience on this particular model, nor a shop manual, but I'm sure someone with same will be along shortly to further assist. [I must admit to being the DIY type who would jump right in but I don't necessarily advise same].

See No. 3 & 8 "nut" in this diagram for my 2018.

Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 7.33.48 AM.png

That’s really helpful thank you.

I don’t suppose you know of any how to guides or how you would get to the arm nut? Is the top part literally just something you can remove by either twisting or levering upwards?

·
694 Posts
Looking at the diagram there is a cover (4) that should pop off and then a nut (3). Then the arm should just lift off. Have not done it just looking at the diagram.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks both for your help.

I’ve finally been able to dedicate some time to this today and I’m pleased to say the diagrams gave me the confidence to start and it wasn’t overly difficult.

As you said, the cap pops off with a thin screwdriver and then the nut is removed.

The hardest part was trying to free the wiper arm but after spraying some lubricant and tapping with a hammer with a wrench underneath, the arm didn’t lift off completely but became loose enough for me just to place in a resting position and tighten up again.

Pleasantly surprised :)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
509 Posts
Well done mesodan. Although as I cited I was reticent to tell you to tackle this yourself, I'm glad you did. Many automotive/household repairs are actually quite straightforward once we muster the courage to commence. As an ol' timer once told me (long before I became an ol' timer) "jump in there like you know what you're doing and most often you'll be fine." ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well done mesodan. Although as I cited I was reticent to tell you to tackle this yourself, I'm glad you did. Many automotive/household repairs are actually quite straightforward once we muster the courage to commence. As an ol' timer once told me (long before I became an ol' timer) "jump in there like you know what you're doing and most often you'll be fine." ;)
I hope he wasn’t a surgeon!! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts