Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have suggestions on curing wind noise (2017 GLA 250) at highway speed?
I've tried using foam tape to block most of the areas around the door, but I'm still getting some noise.
The worst seems to come from behind my ear on the drivers side. I'm guessing it's the front and rear door seals.
I've seen lots of mention of noise in the various Mercedes board, but don't see many recommendations to remediate (and MB seems to think this noise is "normal")

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Welcome to the GLA forum! The noise is normal...for a GLA. It's a long standing irritant from the first buyers of model year 2015 production. My sense was it had been mitigated somewhat in the 2016 models (and probably subsequent years), but it remains an issue unlike what I'd been used to in MB sedans prior to purchasing my GLA. After four years of ownership, I'm kinda used to it, but from time to time it does cause some frustration. Fortunately, the GLA makes up for it with many more positive attributes.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Its normal. For all cars. You got an entry level car, not an E-class. You’re going about it the wrong way. You can improve it, but its not easy or cheap. Start here:

Www.sounddeadenershowdown.com

Focus on barriers (mass loaded vinyl). Note for results, barriers need to be 100% coverage. If you miss a spot, the noise penetrates. If you don’t treat every surface, the noise comes in at that spot.

This treatment is always the most expensive and difficult of all the acoustic treatments. If you don’t care to do the work yourself, you can contact Don and ask for a vendor of his products close to you and have them treat as much as you’re willing to treat.

Most other shops will just slap on a bunch of damper tiles and send you on your way which won’t give you what you want. The SDS site will explain why.

My only other suggestion is to replace your tires with the quietest tires you can find. I suspect what you imagine as wind noise may be tire noise, and quiet tires can help A LOT.

Good luck!

·
Registered
237 Posts
I should note for clarity, cabin environment comfort, including noise, seems to be one of the areas MB chose for cost reduction to enable the value pricing they offer for the GLA.

The 45 is worse. They went minimal on the spare tire well. Thats OK for folks who want to hear loud exhaust drone in the car, but for those of us who wanted a sleepy little rabid go-kart, the loud exhaust gives away what the AMG team really did with the car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.. and other thoughts

Thanks for the recommendations. I completely agree that some of the noise if coming from the run flats and that's just pat of the nature of the car. The roof racks don't help much either and the large mirrors with a gap between the body and the mirror creates a natural wind tunnel. Having seen the images where they apply acres of DYNAMAT, I can see where this car could use some additional insulation.

That being said, I was also hearing some "ambient noise". For instance, with the windows rolled up, from just behind my ear and just to the left of the wheel. I could hear a car with a loud engine approaching and passing me when I'm stopped at a light and I hear wind infiltration.

I did figure out a couple of solutions to the issues.

There are three areas that seem to be designed poorly:

1. The overall seal of the doors to the body

2. The mirrors create a wind tunnel

3. The place where the front door meets the back door over the "B" pillar.

So I gathered my materials and set off the find the source of the noise.

Here's my solutions

1. Provide a second seal to the doors, outside of the OEM seal.

I started by created a second seal around all the Doors. Just to be safe, I also sealed this to the body. This seemed to help a bit. I used double wide foam on the doors, single on the body of the car.

In particular, I found the seal at the top of the door really needed reinforcement:

In the end I had created a second seal located outside the primary door seal:

2. Fix the Mirrors.

I took two approaches here:

a. I removed the door trim above the mirror (Pull it out towards you) and inserted some foam between the trim and the mirror and reinstalled the trim. This seemed to address a particular "whistle" I was getting:

b. I took a small fin I bought from Amazon
(MonkeyJack 10 Piece Stick On Vortex Generator Diffuser Fin for Car Bumper Wing Spoiler)

([ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074883SDK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame])

and installed two of them in the gap between the body of the car and the mirror, angled outwards - this routed some more air away from the doors.

3. Fix the B-Pillar.
This one was harder. The way the front door mates to the back door, it's almost impossible to reinforce behind it.

I found that if I put stick-on trim in front of the leading edge of the back door, this solved the problem but the trim tended to fall off. In the end I placed a piece of trim on the front door trailing edge and UNDER the back door leading edge (I secured this with black Gorilla tape).

The results are that the ambient noise has almost dissipated completely.

Now... it's still not quiet. At rest id 60DB, at about 30 it's 70DB and on the highway at about 80 it 80 DB. It's just a noisy car.

I agree - it's a perfect for my needs (Daily winter driver in the Northeast) , and this is a small annoyance. Like others I expected a Mercedes to be tomb-quiet, only having experienced E & S classes prior. I thought the GLA would be the same. The alternative would have been a Macan for about twice the price.

Overall I'm still pleased with my choice of the GLA, I'm looking forward to replacing it in 3 or 4 years with a 2021 which sounds like a more aerodynamic car and perhaps a better implementation of the vaunted "Mercedes Quiet"

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts