Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

wierd noise at startup

6K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  caug 
#1 ·
Beginning yesterday morning my '15 started making ticking noises just a few seconds after startup. It's always 5-7 loud, distinct ticks coming from the back of the car. No CEL's on the dash yet but something isn't right. My best guess is a fuel pump going out. I'll have to call the dealership tomorrow. Any of this sounding familiar to anybody?

#2 ·
I have had that in other cars and heard others mention it as well. In those cases it was fuel pump related, but not necessarily a maintenance issue. For mine, it eventually went away. This is the first time to my knowledge this has been reported on the GLA forum, so please let us know what you learn.

#3 ·
Check your exhaust flap clockspring. Get someone to start your car while you are behind the right side tire and listen if the noise is coming from the exhaust area. Back there is a motor that will open and close the sport exhaust flap. It opens/closes just after startup.

The motor rotates 90 degrees, and is attached to the exhaust flap via spiral wound metal coupler that breaks as easily as a wire coat hanger. If that metal broke and is jamming the motor, it can make a noise like you describe.

To confirm it, if the noise is coming from there, dismount the motor, it is held in with three bolts and is easy to mount and dismount. You can even find youtube videos on how to do it.

If it turns out to be that, let me know what you find for parts. I’ve only found the entire motor assembly, not the spring (which should cost less than $5)

#5 ·
Look inside of the right tail pipe toi see if valve closing and opening, use flash light. ez to see

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.