Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like it because it moves me.
It moves me visually. I saw it first from afar. I liked the lines of this vehicle.
Not too big, not too small. That's how it feels when I drive it now. That's also what I saw when I looked at another owners machine.
Mercedes that are SUV's are idiotic. We do not need more big bloated death. Period.

But this vehicle, It fits. It fits a demographic of Gen X. A place that is both small and large. Stylish & humble. I do not care about Mercedes benz as a brand. What I DO appreciate is Mercedes Benz as a branded history. I DO care about what they quietly do. This particular vehicle, the GLA 250 hits everything I like. It's smart.

Humble and sophisticated.

For some demographics it'a about getting into the brand. For myself, it's already knowing. I know Merc, I know.

Neat.

What moves me is a form of Mercedes that allows me to connect with MY history on a more refined level. I want 4 wheel drive. I want hatchback storage. I want power when I need it and green when I live day to day. That's why I like this machine. It gives me these options.

I feel most aligned with 'premium' racing style machines miss the importance of keeping it green. This vehicle is the balance for Merc. They need to OWN it & know it. It's a great vehicle that taps into the Gen X in a way few vehicles do. Good for them & Good for the GLA 250.

TURN That engine off when I am in traffic and restart it when I turn it on. Good.
F' you if you don't like it.
I do. I. REALLY. Do.

Silent perspective.

Merc should not ALWAYS mean racing. Sometimes refinement should mean another level of Green.

I like their path. Keep it up Germans!

Be the true O. G. of vehicles green and sophisticated.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Welcome to the GLA forum, CrowonaBenz. That's a nice testimonial and analysis. Do you have a GLA yet or still in the decision/waiting mode? Please share some photos and experiences with your GLA.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I like the lighted star. As long as the car isn't running anyway, I like to get out at night at stop lights and run up front, just to look at the star. I know, I know, the car starts up again as soon as I get out of the door. Actually, not kidding, I really like the front end design. It looks like it's going, even when standing still.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thank you for such a nice pattern of GLA's attraction. Are you Gen X? With no pretense to the statistical validity, my superficial observation, through this forum and several well known reviews, is that those who like and own the GLAs, split unevenly to close to Gen X younger group( larger representation) and Baby Boomers (much smaller group). The two generations separated by almost four decades find passion in the unique GLA expression. A kind of interesting GLA market phenomenon.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I am 75. My car is a 2015 GLA250 FWD. This is my ninth MB. We also have a Lexus RX, which has AWD; we don't need two big luxury SUV's with AWD. I traded in a BMW 328i. The Beemer had a number of design faults; also, it was at the end of the warranty, and I was glad to see it go. The GLA is an almost perfect second car. With really good fuel economy, compact size but sturdy, ability to drive economically or semi-aggressively, a good assortment of creature comfort, it's a great in-town car. It was priced to be a very viable second car. Did I mention it has a lighted star?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am 75. My car is a 2015 GLA250 FWD. This is my ninth MB. We also have a Lexus RX, which has AWD; we don't need two big luxury SUV's with AWD. I traded in a BMW 328i. The Beemer had a number of design faults; also, it was at the end of the warranty, and I was glad to see it go. The GLA is an almost perfect second car. With really good fuel economy, compact size but sturdy, ability to drive economically or semi-aggressively, a good assortment of creature comfort, it's a great in-town car. It was priced to be a very viable second car. Did I mention it has a lighted star?
Well, I just turned 64, adding on the GLA 250 4MATIC to our family experiences. The GLA to us is the MB newcomer ( we didn't have MBs before), purchased instead of beginning to fall apart Volvo v70 T5. On all other counts, I've been mostly an Acura type, with Acura TL the latest. My reasons to choose the GLA are well within the overlap between CrowonaBenz and yours features combination points. This unique small, but not so, semi-aggressive, but economic, uniquely sturdy and off road capable, combined with striking design, won our desire to still try something new, but with a bit of utility included. I am impressed by your choice of GLA as your ninth MB. Does this mean that our small sporty GLAs hold on to the quality and luxury standards, which you most likely got used to with the previous MBs?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for such a nice pattern of GLA's attraction. Are you Gen X? With no pretense to the statistical validity, my superficial observation, through this forum and several well known reviews, is that those who like and own the GLAs, split unevenly to close to Gen X younger group( larger representation) and Baby Boomers (much smaller group). The two generations separated by almost four decades find passion in the unique GLA expression. A kind of interesting GLA market phenomenon.
I am Gen X. I grew up through the late 70's 80's and early 90's was my music realm, Grunge, old school Hip Hop. My formative years where those that lived between everything. Somewhere between the collapse of the 60's revolution & the delusion of Reagan years. Oh yeah, I was there. I don't know why but this vehicle captures that Zeitgeist. It fits my spirit of practicality & occasional sporty with a love for things green. I don't want to leave the planet worse off than when I was here. At the same time I want to enjoy the small indulgences I can afford. This particular vehicle seems to fill that for me. And it has beautiful lines.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am Gen X. I grew up through the late 70's 80's and early 90's was my music realm, Grunge, old school Hip Hop. My formative years where those that lived between everything. Somewhere between the collapse of the 60's revolution & the delusion of Reagan years. Oh yeah, I was there. I don't know why but this vehicle captures that Zeitgeist. It fits my spirit of practicality & occasional sporty with a love for things green. I don't want to leave the planet worse off than when I was here. At the same time I want to enjoy the small indulgences I can afford. This particular vehicle seems to fill that for me. And it has beautiful lines.
Ditto!

·
Registered
608 Posts
I started in 1968 with a used 1961 220S. That may have been the best of the bunch. Went to Germany in 1969 for my rich uncle and bought a 1970 220, European delivery; this was a 4 cyl 4 dr sedan. Stick shift, no radio. Bit of a dog. Ran it for many miles over 100 mph on the autobahn; it needed a valve job at 25,000 miles. Came back in 1972, had 3 diesels, finishing the diesel run with a 5 cyl. These were great cars, ran on home heating oil, no electronics except for the radio. The next MeBe was an M class, first year out, and it was truly awful. Poorly designed, poorly made, poorly finished. The dealer was so tired of seeing me that, after 3 years, he gave me a C with the Kompressor for the M and $1,000. The C was OK, but kind of blah. Sold it and bought a Sebring convertible, had two of them. Sweet cars. The next MeBe was an E350, year 2006. Picked it up through a wholesaler contact at the auction in Mannheim, PA in 2009 off lease with 12,000 miles on it. Driven by a little old lady only on Sunday? Actually the previous owner forgot to clear the phone numbers on the car phone system, and I called them to find out why so few miles. They said it was a second car, and didn't get driven much. This was a great car except it had the infamous brake by wire system, that used a computer instead of a master cylinder. Mercedes had major trouble with this system, ended up offering a 100,000/10yr mile warranty on the brake computer, but to get this warranty you had to get your brake lines flushed every year for $400. Couldn't justify keeping it. Of all the MeBe's I had, this was the most luxurious, except for maybe the 1961, although the definition of luxury was different in 1961. I traded it for a BMW 328i, which turned out to have a lot of unpleasant Teutonic quirks, and I couldn't justify keeping it out of warranty. It is interesting to note (purely personal observation) how Mercedes has changed over the years. Their image in the 60's and maybe up to the 80's was a car manufacturer for the car enthusiast-maybe the same customer who had a nicely made watch and an advanced hifi system. Somewhere after the 80's the Germans got more interested in chasing the almighty Deutschmark, and tried to sell the sizzle as well as the steak. Us folk who loved the MeBe for how cleverly it was designed and put together found we couldn't afford them any more, and it seemed that Daimler Benz didn't much miss us as customers. The neat thing for me about the GLA is it's almost a little step back toward being a cleverly designed car that is affordable. I like that nobody has much copied it yet. I really like the little turbo charged four, and I love driving past the gas station. It is what it is. Did I mention the lighted star?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I started in 1968 with a used 1961 220S. That may have been the best of the bunch. Went to Germany in 1969 for my rich uncle and bought a 1970 220, European delivery; this was a 4 cyl 4 dr sedan. Stick shift, no radio. Bit of a dog. Ran it for many miles over 100 mph on the autobahn; it needed a valve job at 25,000 miles. Came back in 1972, had 3 diesels, finishing the diesel run with a 5 cyl. These were great cars, ran on home heating oil, no electronics except for the radio. The next MeBe was an M class, first year out, and it was truly awful. Poorly designed, poorly made, poorly finished. The dealer was so tired of seeing me that, after 3 years, he gave me a C with the Kompressor for the M and $1,000. The C was OK, but kind of blah. Sold it and bought a Sebring convertible, had two of them. Sweet cars. The next MeBe was an E350, year 2006. Picked it up through a wholesaler contact at the auction in Mannheim, PA in 2009 off lease with 12,000 miles on it. Driven by a little old lady only on Sunday? Actually the previous owner forgot to clear the phone numbers on the car phone system, and I called them to find out why so few miles. They said it was a second car, and didn't get driven much. This was a great car except it had the infamous brake by wire system, that used a computer instead of a master cylinder. Mercedes had major trouble with this system, ended up offering a 100,000/10yr mile warranty on the brake computer, but to get this warranty you had to get your brake lines flushed every year for $400. Couldn't justify keeping it. Of all the MeBe's I had, this was the most luxurious, except for maybe the 1961, although the definition of luxury was different in 1961. I traded it for a BMW 328i, which turned out to have a lot of unpleasant Teutonic quirks, and I couldn't justify keeping it out of warranty. It is interesting to note (purely personal observation) how Mercedes has changed over the years. Their image in the 60's and maybe up to the 80's was a car manufacturer for the car enthusiast-maybe the same customer who had a nicely made watch and an advanced hifi system. Somewhere after the 80's the Germans got more interested in chasing the almighty Deutschmark, and tried to sell the sizzle as well as the steak. Us folk who loved the MeBe for how cleverly it was designed and put together found we couldn't afford them any more, and it seemed that Daimler Benz didn't much miss us as customers. The neat thing for me about the GLA is it's almost a little step back toward being a cleverly designed car that is affordable. I like that nobody has much copied it yet. I really like the little turbo charged four, and I love driving past the gas station. It is what it is. Did I mention the lighted star?
Very well said. Thank you for sharing the insights.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you! That was very insightful. You spoke to a generation of experience with this brand of vehicles. Really interesting. It truly puts into perspective the place this vehicle has within the brand of machines.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts