Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Who actually follows(ed) the Break-In/Running-In Instructions?

I am about 200 miles into my GLA45 and visited the service department and was pleasantly surprised at all the compliments it got and a handful of customers and servicemen were asking how the car was. Of course I had to say, "very nice and I love it but I am still in the break-in period" and everyone just gave me a weird look. A couple told me, even those who worked at MB that that it isn't really necessary to follow it anymore. I don't know, maybe they just want the engine to not last too long so they benefit from getting it serviced at their facility later on. lol

What about you guys?

This is the sticker I peeled out of the windshield for those wondering what the instructions were:

Reactions: cemeek

·
Registered
355 Posts
I did follow the instructions up to 1,500km, even though it was painful not to redline it! :nerd:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's really difficult and tempting to just go fast. Over the weekend I was on a pretty clear and open freeway where it could have been so much fun to get to 100mph and almost passed 85mph but just couldn't do it so I had to go back down to 70-75 :(

·
Registered
68 Posts
I did follow the break-in recommendations. I finally made it past 1,000 mi last week. I think I only got up to 4,500 rpm briefly once or twice, and kept it under 85 mph the whole time. I'm more relaxed now, not having to worry about it ?! Be patient, it will pass.

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
I tried but just couldn't do it. Nothing crazy but a few quick blasts here and there. But i have been meticulous about letting the motor warm up before going faster than priuses.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I have less than 100 miles on my GLA45, so my commentary is just that…a comment.

There are two schools of thought on break-in protocols…one is to follow the manufacturer's criteria and the second is 'drive it like you stole it'

The basis of the two differing opinions is that modern engines are built to much higher tolerances and quality than old engines were, thus the old style engines needed the 'pamper approach' to break-in.

Take a read of this article which pretty much captures the 'drive it like you stole it' approach>>>
Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

Now to break in by manufacturer's approach…I would find it hard to believe that the conservative break-in is not without purpose, but not sure why???

I do know certain manufacturers take break-in protocols very seriously (does Mercedes Benz? Don't know)… I owned two Lotus Elises and Lotus had a very similar break-in procedure as MB, BUT one major difference. At 1000 miles, to maintain warranty, you had to bring the Lotus back to the dealership and have oil changed AND (they did not quite hilite this one) they downloaded the ECU data recorder which recorded for that 1000 mile break-in period engine rpm, engine rpm duration, throttle position and engine temp. They allowed TWO variances to break-in requirements for the first 1000 miles and then if there was a third or more…NO warranty. On the Lotus forums, the first owners of Lotus's of voided warranty's went ballistic and the word got out quickly.

To me, for break-in it is engine heat cycling to makes the top of my list…if you run the rpms up or load up the engine then immediately let engine loaf a bit for cooling down… thus the reason not to run for long periods of time the engine at a continuous rpm/speed… up and down up and down rpm to cycle correctly.

Of course, this is IMHO and each needs to decide his approach:D

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So what do you plan on doing for the next 900 miles?

I like the drive it like you stole is version personally >:D

I do think there is a purpose to manufacturers instructions and iirc they also differ from the regular 'ol Benz to the AMG as well so I think that is at least something to think about.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I tried but just couldn't do it. Nothing crazy but a few quick blasts here and there. But i have been meticulous about letting the motor warm up before going faster than priuses.
This made me laugh. I have about 6K on mine, and I'll be honest, I didn't follow anything except the flow of traffic. Being an aggressive driver, and with the vehicle learning my driving habits, everything seems to be ok. Though we do have a checkup in a few thousand miles. We shall see what the outcome is.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
By the way here's the general MB break-in guidelines with the extra AMG instructions (which is pretty much what I posted in the first post).

Reactions: cemeek

·
Registered
694 Posts
Im also following the break in period.

Its always better to play safe than be sorry in the end and end up shelling $ in repairs
Fortunately the effects of a bad break in show up years beyond the original warranty term, so it would be wise for anyone that feels like it wasn't done properly to get rid of it before warranty is up.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So you're saying if the car is leased then just go for it? :D

Reactions: HSCDUDE

·
Registered
816 Posts
So what do you plan on doing for the next 900 miles?

Follow the break-in guidelines plus a little more aggressive rpm cycling. But will definitely put tranny etc in S mode.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I followed the break-in period instructions. I don't second-guess the guys who engineered the car. Of course those instructions might be from the lawyers, so who knows?

Reactions: gurneyeagle

·
Registered
23 Posts
This should be interesting when I pick up mine in Germany. I plan to follow it as much as I can. The staying under 85 will be the toughest. Luckily I lived over there so the luster of the "autobahn" and no speed limits doesn't bother me. I'm sure I'll surpass the 1000 miles as we're going from Stuttgart to Sweden and back.

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
I followed the MB break in. When I felt the need for speed, drove my Porsche instead.

Reactions: HSCDUDE

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
My gla 45 will be my 7th car from new including Normal WRX, an STI , Peugeot GTI. Corvette C6, Corvette Z06 and Cadillac Escalade high bhp special I always followed good advice... warm up correctly..change oil early in break in and oh....
Drive it like you god dam stole it up and down rev range not holding red line but put the engine to work..
A number of the above cars have been dyno tested and in every club with similar cars my car had the most BHP at the wheels without exception..
Having raced a few of these vehicles successfully IMHO these engines need to bed in early..
Non suffered any problems I also am lucky enough to ride adventure bikes for a living and the same applies.
It's up to you but manufactures obviously are cautious by nature....
Even race cars are bed in under mild duress,,, good luck

·
Registered
80 Posts
By the way here's the general MB break-in guidelines with the extra AMG instructions (which is pretty much what I posted in the first post).

Thanks for the instructions nightscar! I'll be picking up my GLA this week and will follow this as closely as I can ;)

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm trusting AMG and Mercedes-Benz engineers on mine, with exception of the oil drain interval.

Is it excruciating to wait through the first 1000 miles taking it easy? Yep.

I have a short commute and only at 240 miles in two weeks. Short road trip on Saturday will help, but still going to be a while. Still - I am driving it like I stole it - within the confines of the break-in guidance. I.e. I'll rev it up close to 4500 but not over, and back off speed if I get up to 85-ish. Leaving it in Comfort mode, with the Auto-Stop OFF. Plenty of fun to be had around town (too much actually the thing is so damned quick) even within those limits.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts