Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2022 GLA250 4MATIC
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Which fuse do you recommend tapping into for a hardwired dash cam to enable the parking mode? Please bear with me, I'm a new car owner and I got enough anxiety as it is messing around with cars :oops:

I've got a Street Guardian dash cam with the parking mode hardwire kit, which has three leads: a switched accessory wire, an unswitched battery wire, and a ground wire.

I got it professionally installed thinking I could do all the setup stuff on my own, but I'm not able to get parking mode to work. I'm starting to think they may not be connected to the right fuses.

I uploaded the fuse diagrams to 2022 GLA250 4MATIC fusebox diagrams . My "accessory" wire is tapped into PDC-P #125, labelled for Power socket / USB. The "battery" wire is in #147, which in the diagram doesn't show any amperage and doesn't map to any function on the table. I don't know whether this means the fuse isn't powered or if it just isn't used for any function from the factory, but in any case, my parking mode doesn't work.

·
Registered
2020 MB GLA250 4MATIC Avantgarde Edition
141 Posts
Hi all,
Which fuse do you recommend tapping into for a hardwired dash cam to enable the parking mode? Please bear with me, I'm a new car owner and I got enough anxiety as it is messing around with cars :oops:

I've got a Street Guardian dash cam with the parking mode hardwire kit, which has three leads: a switched accessory wire, an unswitched battery wire, and a ground wire.

I got it professionally installed thinking I could do all the setup stuff on my own, but I'm not able to get parking mode to work. I'm starting to think they may not be connected to the right fuses.

I uploaded the fuse diagrams to 2022 GLA250 4MATIC fusebox diagrams . My "accessory" wire is tapped into PDC-P #125, labelled for Power socket / USB. The "battery" wire is in #147, which in the diagram doesn't show any amperage and doesn't map to any function on the table. I don't know whether this means the fuse isn't powered or if it just isn't used for any function from the factory, but in any case, my parking mode doesn't work.
Hi, don’t lose hope. This is always the most time taking part. Firstly, please post a photo of your connections if possible.
Firstly, does the camera power on? If not, then one of two problems may be there
1. Faulty camera
2. Fuse taps are backwards. Insert them in the opposite direction
3. Poor or no ground connection
If the camera powers on but the parking mode trigger doesn’t work:
1. Confirm correct settings in camera
2. Check accessory wire fuse tap direction
3. Select a different fuse

for your power sources, use a multimeter to find the appropriate circuit. Avoid circuits for driver’s assistance and safety equipment (airbags, ABS, etc.) for “battery connection, you should be able to connect to the supply bolt in the fuse box. If you want to use a fuse tap, try to use a vacant fuse slot. Alternatively, the fuse for overhead lights should be constant power (confirm with multimeter). For accessory, use front cigarette lighter/12V socket fuse or one of the radio fuses.

·
Registered
2022 GLA250 4MATIC
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the camera powers on but the parking mode trigger doesn’t work:
It might take me a few days to try it out and I need to learn how to use a multimeter other than for its continuity testing, but wanted to thank you in advance! My camera does power on and record while the car's in operation, but parking mode does not trigger.

Just in case this changes any of your advice though, I've got a picture of my connections attached. The upper left fuse tap is the "accessory," and the lower right is the "Battery". Which one is the supply bolt, by the way? Is it that bare bolt to the right of the two big vertical red 40A fuses?

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
It might take me a few days to try it out and I need to learn how to use a multimeter other than for its continuity testing, but wanted to thank you in advance! My camera does power on and record while the car's in operation, but parking mode does not trigger.

Just in case this changes any of your advice though, I've got a picture of my connections attached. The upper left fuse tap is the "accessory," and the lower right is the "Battery". Which one is the supply bolt, by the way? Is it that bare bolt to the right of the two big vertical red 40A fuses?
Yes, that is the one, right by the 40A fuses. That leads right to the battery. I see a few concerns with your wiring-up that may address the issue you're having and should be fixed just for good practice.
1. I only see one fuse tap, accessory connection is just a wire wrapped around the fuse leg and shoved back in. Leads to a poor connection, Choose another fuse slot if you can't fit the fuse tap there. if that doesn't fix it, refer to my advice above; turn the tap around and check settings. otherwise it might be a faulty camera or hardwiring kit.

2. in your actual fuse tap, the fuse for the aftermarket device is not seated properly in the fuse holder. ensure the fuse is fully inserted, use force if necessary, being careful not to break it.

Remember, there's nothing wrong with getting a shop to install the connections for you. Authorize 1/2 hour labour maximum, and they'll sort it out. It's far more embarrassing to accidentally damage the car and pay a fortune for electrical work at the dealer. I know you retrofitted distronic, so I am confident you'll get this figured out. check YouTube to figure out multimeter usage. all the best!

·
Registered
2022 GLA250 4MATIC
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1. Confirm correct settings in camera
Wouldn't you know it, that was all I needed. A setting in the software. I could blame myself for missing something so simple, but I'll also blame the product for not coming with a manual, nor the manual being available on the manufacturer's website o_O

Not to say I didn't learn anything, so I didn't come out of this empty. Thanks, @RamaGLA!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Wouldn't you know it, that was all I needed. A setting in the software. I could blame myself for missing something so simple, but I'll also blame the product for not coming with a manual, nor the manual being available on the manufacturer's website o_O

Not to say I didn't learn anything, so I didn't come out of this empty. Thanks, @RamaGLA!
Absolutely, glad I can help! Please fix the issues I mentioned above at your convenience.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts