Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I am planning to purchase a GLA250 before the end of June 2015. However I have a few questions and hope the good people on this forum can answer them:)

1. Which country will my GLA 250 be made? I live in Toronto Ontario Canada.

2. If I want to be driving my new GLA250 by the end of June 2015, when should I actually sign the deal and pay for the vehicle... I've been reading it takes between 4-6 weeks to build the vehicle and have it delivered to my local MB dealership.

3. Should I go with full synthetic oil for my new GLA250? I assume it will be 0W-20 grade recommended. If I do decide to go with the full synthetic from the get go, do I need to do a engine flush right from the get go?

4. How about going full synthetic with the transmission fluid? Need to do a transmission flush right from the get go as well?

5. Are there any options at the moment for fog lights with the sport bumper? Wish they had the fog lights integrated with the sport bumper.

6. I read somewhere and have seen YouTube videos that the illuminated MB star works while driving (in the U.S.) Here in Canada, according the the MB brochure, the illuminated star only works when you are locking or unlocking the door. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thank you all for your assistance!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I don't have the answers to all your questions, but I can answer the first one. All GLAs are being built in mexico. The platform is shared with some Infiniti vehicles and all those vehicles sharing the platform are being built in Mexico.

·
Registered
817 Posts
To clarify, Canadian bound GLAs are made in Mexico?

The GLAs coming to US are coming from Germany.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Would getting a GLA build in Mexico send any red flags to you guys? I know some people are concerned when it comes to vehicles being built their and the build quality.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Best I could tell you on where the car will be made is to check the stickers of the cars at the dealer and ask at the time you order it. I live in Connecticut and mine came from Rastatt, Germany.
For the oil, my GLA 250 has a sticker in the engine bay that says Mercedes recommends Mobile 1, 0w-20 of course. If I change my own oil, that's what I'll use.

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
1. My US import GLA was built in Germany. I wouldn't be too concerned about Mexico builds. We had a VW Jetta built in Mexico and had no problems. When it come down to it, quality comes from the car design, quality or purchased subcomponents, assembly equipment and assembly process controls. Who puts it together is of little concern in a global economy. Having said that, I'm still glad my car was assembled in Deutschland.

2. Why wait? Enjoy it sooner if your financial situation allows.

3. GLA will come with synthetic engine oil. No need to flush. The SAE weight you use will depend on your climate. In Toronto you may want 0W-20. Your owners manual will guide you on that. In Indiana, I would use 0W-40 year round.

4. Haven't researched, but suspect the transmission factory fill is synthetic also.

5. Fog lights go away if you choose sport package. I have Xenon headlights, so not a big deal to me.

6. No clue, I didn't order that option.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1. My US import GLA was built in Germany. I wouldn't be too concerned about Mexico builds. We had a VW Jetta built in Mexico and had no problems. When it come down to it, quality comes from the car design, quality or purchased subcomponents, assembly equipment and assembly process controls. Who puts it together is of little concern in a global economy. Having said that, I'm still glad my car was assembled in Deutschland.

2. Why wait? Enjoy it sooner if your financial situation allows.

3. GLA will come with synthetic engine oil. No need to flush. The SAE weight you use will depend on your climate. In Toronto you may want 0W-20. Your owners manual will guide you on that. In Indiana, I would use 0W-40 year round.

4. Haven't researched, but suspect the transmission factory fill is synthetic also.

5. Fog lights go away if you choose sport package. I have Xenon headlights, so not a big deal to me.

6. No clue, I didn't order that option.
I would get it now, but I'd like to wait a little and see if the financing rate comes down... Right now it's 2.9% for 60 months... Plus, I'd rather wait till all the yucky snow and salt goes away!

Really? I didn't know the GLA comes with full synthetic already... That's perfect! Hope the transmission fluid is full synthetic as well :)

I prefer the look of the sport bumper, and will be getting the xenon DRL's ....but not fond of the idea of not having the fog lights...

Anyone know anything about the illuminated star?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yay! My local MB dealership told me that when I place my order for the GLA, it will be made in Rastatt, Germany.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't have the answers to all your questions, but I can answer the first one. All GLAs are being built in mexico. The platform is shared with some Infiniti vehicles and all those vehicles sharing the platform are being built in Mexico.
Just to clarify... A Local MB customer care representative advised me that my GLA will be coming from Rastatt, Germany... And that the majority of the MB models that come into Canada are produced in Germany. None of them come from Mexico, China or India...

Hope this clarifies things for all my fellow Canadian GLA prospective buyers and owners :)

·
Registered
817 Posts
I believe the GLA250 engines are assembled at the MB Kolleda Engine plant south of Berlin Germany…I do know the GLA45 engine is hand built ("one man one engine" in MB speak) at Kolleda.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Also, this video shows the GLA production at the Rastatt assembly plant…it is in German but the video part is a nice overview of how the GLAs are produced.

The video was first post here by another forum member, but I thought I would bring it 'to the top' so you could see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDF_-0ZEJTI&spfreload=10

Reactions: 23481 and SAT

·
Registered
272 Posts
I think that Mexico was considered for GLA production, but in the end the powers at be decided against it.

The 2015 GLA, a compact crossover vehicle similar in size to the Q30, will go on sale next spring in Europe and next fall in the United States, Mercedes-Benz has said. The GLA is one of several candidates for future production at Aguascalientes, the sources said.
Daimler, Nissan to jointly build small luxury cars in Mexico | Reuters

·
Registered
243 Posts
Okay so it either is not being produced there, or it might be produced there in the future but is currently being produced elsewhere.

·
Registered
28 Posts
All Canadian GLA 250s are currently made in Rastatt, Germany. The dealer said VIN# that begin with the letter "W" indicates the vehicle is made in Germany. VIN# that begins with a "number" indicates the vehicle is made in another country, say North America (examples include C-Class).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts