Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m having trouble finding contisportcontact tires in a 235/45 19 99Y size. Any reason for that? Any recommended vendor?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I wonder if the exact OEM tires are only available through a Mercedes Benz dealer? It seems like sometimes the auto makers have the tire makers create a "special" OEM tire that gets put on at the factory. Then after a few years they can get more difficult to find.

Otherwise I've been happy with Discount Tire for many years, but I typically bring my wheels in OFF the car (summer/winter wheel sets), depending on which vehicle it has been. They can get the "factory approved" or OEM tires, and they've found discontinued OEM tires for me in the past. I've used Tire Rack for race rubber a few times.

·
Registered
464 Posts
tirerack.com
discouttiredirect.com

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks caug, I could have been more specific in my line of questioning:

My GLA45 came with contisportcontact tires in size 235/45 ZR 19 99Y. Where can I buy this exact tire besides the dealer?

I have been happy with the performance of this tire, and want to explore a second source. But I have not been able to find this tire through google, tirerack, amazon, etc. Has anyone bought these tires and not gone through the dealer?

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
FWIW, Pam's 45 had 20s and when we swapped her tires I went to Michelin PS4. Love them but I realize this isn't what you're looking for.

But if you do go in this direction use caution ... When you run the width / profile / wheel size math Michelin tires are shorter than Contis. We sent the first tires back and exchanged for a different size after my tire guy pointed out the error.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Whiterabbit, you do not show your location. You should update your User CP, this can be done by in the upper right corner of the screen, click on User CP and follow directions. Different parts of the country have different tire stores. I also think you are looking for ContiSportContact 5P and not just ContiSportContact. In my area, NTB Tire & Service Center has them listed on their website.

https://www.ntb.com/sku/sku4060207/contisportcontact-5p

·
Registered
86 Posts
... I have not been able to find this tire through google, tirerack, amazon, etc. Has anyone bought these tires and not gone through the dealer?
I have not looked for the 19's you are looking for, but Discount Tire in my area was able to find the OEM 20's on my GLA45 (and other vehicles I have). You won't be able to find it on their website though. You have to go there in person and talk to one of the employees that is familiar with the process. The website just has the "easy" stuff listed. For factory approved and OEM options, you need to be there in person. They employees have access to much more information than the website. Definitely a hassle compared to going online and clicking the order button, but sometimes a little effort is worth the results.

I have not compared the prices for OEM tires between the dealer and the tire store though. Could end up being the same price for all I know.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I just received a postcard this week from MB advertising their OEM tires. It came with a coupon as well. Although I am soon due to replace the OEM Conti's, I couldn't see the point in buying tires from the dealer. Now maybe I get it.. maybe those particular OEM 20" conti's are only available through the dealer. I be pursuing something else anyhow, but now the dealer postcard makes a bit more sense I guess.

·
Super Moderator
230 Posts
In recent years dealer service dept's in my area are actually very competitive on tire prices, and of course assured OEM. In fact I bought my last set for my Audi from same.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just received a postcard this week from MB advertising their OEM tires. It came with a coupon as well. Although I am soon due to replace the OEM Conti's, I couldn't see the point in buying tires from the dealer. Now maybe I get it.. maybe those particular OEM 20" conti's are only available through the dealer. I be pursuing something else anyhow, but now the dealer postcard makes a bit more sense I guess.
Honestly, what would you get besides the OEM's? they stick like glue and the performance in the rain is nearly as good. Unless it snows alow in westminster and you want to run only one set of tires, is there a reason you would move away from the OEM times? I've been very satisfied with them.

And only dreading dealer markups on what would otherwise (unless a dealer exclusive) be a routine part purchase and maintenance. But if they end up being competitive on pricing...

·
Registered
86 Posts
The OEM tires are pretty decent, but there are better tires out there. Well, better if you're referring to summer grip. More grip can come with a some downsides though too. I've had several different tires on the track to be able to test them to the actual limit in a controlled environment. Track days will really show you what a tire can do.

The 20" Conti's on my 2018 GLA45 are better than "regular" tires, but they begin to lose traction below 60 degrees. At 50 degrees they get pretty slippery, and at 40 they seem like plastic and slide quite easily. I haven't had the chance to drive them much in the rain yet. They do work well, but I've had much better.

My previous vehicle had the Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R's on it, and it was a night and day difference to these Conti's. The RE-71R's had a treadwear rating of 200, compared to the Conti's at 240, so quite a lot stickier. The RE-71R's stuck better in the rain than anything else I've ever used too. They worked great down to about 50 degrees. The biggest drawback was that they were so sticky that gravel and rocks would stick to them and get flung up like mad. They don't currently offer the correct size for the GLA45 with 20's though. They are so much better though, that I'm probably going to change rim sizes just to get those tires again!

With the severe winters here in Minnesota, I have a separate wheelset for that. I've got new 18" rims, just waiting for a fresh batch of NOKIAN HAKKAPELIITTA R2's to become available in the fall!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was just looking up alternate tire sizes since it seems every non-contisport tire is V rated in the 19” size, and it looks like 265/40ZR19 is only off by 0.14%. And every option is Y or (Y) rated. And top of the list on tire rack is the RE-71R. And the price is among the lowest of the bunch, most are over $300.

Of course I have no idea if a 265 would fit the rim or how stiff the sidewalls would be. Or how long they would last as a daily driven tire. But I wonder how feasible it would be as an alternative. And for you too with some 19” wheels to switch into...

·
Registered
86 Posts
I was just looking up alternate tire sizes since it seems every non-contisport tire is V rated in the 19” size, and it looks like 265/40ZR19 is only off by 0.14%. And every option is Y or (Y) rated. And top of the list on tire rack is the RE-71R. And the price is among the lowest of the bunch, most are over $300.

Of course I have no idea if a 265 would fit the rim or how stiff the sidewalls would be. Or how long they would last as a daily driven tire. But I wonder how feasible it would be as an alternative. And for you too with some 19” wheels to switch into...
Yeah, that's exactly the option I was looking at too. A lot of the RE-71R's go straight to the track for endurance racing, so maybe that has something to do with the lower pricing (quantity)? Maybe there's less "technology" in a race-oriented tire that doesn't have the "All-Season" features?

We were burning up 2 sets a race, but they lasted a couple years on my daily driver, even with track days on them. And I definitely used them on my daily drives. There were several predictable and fun corners to roost a little.

I'll have to check into what it would take to get the RE-71R's on the new buggy. And then learn how to drive it properly! This flappy-paddle-shifter thing still isn't natural once the red mist appears..

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Seems like 245 is as wide as you want to go with the factory width wheels. 245 does fit in the wheel wells.

You get used to the paddles. I miss heel and toe rev matching but the DCT (PDK in the Porsche world) is quicker FWIW. View the unit as a manual transmission without the third paddle or put the system in Sport Plus or Race and forget about it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I wonder if there is there a combination of using a different offset with the 265's on wider rims that would still fit? That'll take some effort to determine if it hasn't been done yet.
@WhiteRabbit, have you had a chance to check with Discount Tire in your area yet? (if there is one?) If not, I'll try remember to check on that size next time I'm in there. They've done well for me in the past.

The DCT is definitely faster on the shifts. Heel-toe blips are fun, but just add one more task on the track, and I'm fine without those. I agree with the theory of the paddles and DCT, I just need more time for it to become "natural". With less than 2K miles on it, I haven't had much seat time. With a manual gearbox everything just happened automatically for me, and I never had to think about it. I still find myself stabbing for the clutch sometimes when I pull into the garage, ha ha ha! 35 years of driving with a clutch is hard to shake. Launch mode for sure kicks the crap out of a clutch start. Manual mode works really well on the AMG for sure. I definitely appreciate the advantages of the DCT, and I look forward to when it becomes second nature! For me it seems like adding the task of shifting to your fingers when they already have to operate the turn signals, cruise control, wipers, headlights, etc., gets me having to "think" about it too much at the moment to get the correct control every time when things start happening fast. Need a better brain I guess...

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
265-19's are a no-go on our wheels. They need a 9" wheel, ours are 8".

too bad, there are ALOT of good options for the 265 width. common on porche and exotics, it seems. There is even an R-compound option.

I called the dealership. Turns out the price for contisportcontacts is really reasonable minus the alignment ($250 for alignment?). it was about $1400 for mount and balance. given that the cheapest improved wheel is $250 a pop, most at $300, I can't make up the difference if I need to buy new wheels. Penny wise and pound foolish, and all that.

I'll stick with the dealership for tires, unless something extreme happens, like I want to join the scca and be one of those people who drive to the track with 4 wheels in the back with my race tires ready to go. (which we can do in a GLA instead of using a goofy roof rack!)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As for DCT, I go sport mode and that's it. It has a 6th sense on a curvy road for what gear it's supposed to be in. Which I wish I could say in comfort mode around town!

Anyway, no manual needed for spirited driving for me.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Does a 9" wheel with a proper offset fit on a GLA45? That's a bunch wider for sure.

I live in Sport+ mode. That's the very first thing that happens once the car is started. :D I rarely use full manual mode. I'll try it on the track for sure though. Might be a little a little beneficial if used properly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am looking at Michelin 4S in 255/40/19 but I think our rims are only 7" wide not 8". The Michelin's need a 7.5 " rim minimum supposedly . Does anyone know for sure? I see Discount Tire has the OEM Conti's which have been pretty good.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts