Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always used the included car jack that comes with cars in order to lift my car but there isn't one included with the gla so I bought a decent car jack and jack stands. I was able to lift the car up with car jack by putting it under the jack point in the side skirt area but how/where do I put the jack stand if I want to keep the car lifted? The car jack pad was covering the entire jack point so there was no room for the jack stand. And the side skirt was covering everything around the jack point so I obviously I'm not going to place the jack stand underneath the plastic side skirt.

·
Super Moderator
1,374 Posts
For the front there is a cross beam that can be used. For the back Rennstand makes an option as well as Jackpoint ...

·
Registered
135 Posts
I highly recommend the JackPoint jack stands. Pricey but well worth it for ease of use and enhanced safety. The jack pad covering the jackpoint is alleviated by same (see Leno video in attached link).

They utilize the standard rail jack points but for optimal safety do require an accessory convex cube insert given Benz' unique concave rail jackpoint fitment.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Wow, 320 dollars for a pair of stands. That hurts alot. But I understand it, I'm always nervous around chintzy jackstands, and they probably got me, because it looks like a good system. Wow on the pricing though!

·
Registered
211 Posts
You beat me for toolboxes, I only have 8. I definitely have more tool stations than you do, since I couldn't fit a car in my workshop! Despite a lathe and a mill and 2 welders alongside most of a woodshop (my TS is a Jet) and setup for metal casting and reloading, I'll elect not to compete with that shop picture. I definitely don't have a lift. well done. :)

I think we have the same amount of lighting though. I'm a big fan of not being able to cast a shadow in my shop.

·
Super Moderator
1,374 Posts
Metal lathe, Bridgeport mill, and metal band saw are at the office. I definitely lack horizontal work surface.

As for the lift ... 7,000 pound capacity installed by myself. $2,300 of the best dollars I've ever spent. Once you do this there's no going back. And you'll kick yourself for all of the interim solutions.

·
Super Moderator
1,374 Posts
Sounds good.

I looked into four post options but the cost of the two required bridge jacks matched the entire two post option!!!

Plus every post takes up floor space and when I modeled four post options in SolidWorks there wouldn't be room.

YMMV.

·
Registered
211 Posts
OK, I'm buying jackstands today.

I'm looking at the Rennstand. Is the Jackpoint worth the extra $120? I can get a pair of rennstands for ~$320 including the universal Mercedes insert and shipping, The jackpoint is $440 with the Merc inserts and shipping!.

$440 to hold up a car on two corners....

·
Super Moderator
1,374 Posts
I followed Rennstand during their development stage a few years ago before they sold to a larger company. At that time they seemed more flexible, at least to me.

·
Registered
211 Posts
In for a penny, in for a pound. Got the rennstands coming. 1 pair to put the whole front or rear up. Thanks for the vote of confidence. I like that the legs are captured on the top rather than than the jackpoint, even if the jackpoint design is much swankier. Also, I'm not lowering my car, so it should be able to fit without driving up on blocks, I imagine...

Gonna start collecting the other specialty tools needed for brakes.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Well done. Yes, they're expensive, but when it comes to your personal safety ....

It's akin to paying four times as much for a SawStop table saw. Only you can judge the worth of your safety.

In for a penny, in for a pound. Got the rennstands coming. 1 pair to put the whole front or rear up. Thanks for the vote of confidence. I like that the legs are captured on the top rather than than the jackpoint, even if the jackpoint design is much swankier. Also, I'm not lowering my car, so it should be able to fit without driving up on blocks, I imagine...

Gonna start collecting the other specialty tools needed for brakes.

·
Super Moderator
1,374 Posts
With a two post lift I'm past jack stands (happily). Meanwhile, having looked at (and experimented with) various options I apologize for not mentioning another option earlier ... Lift bars ...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Actually, that is a really awesome option. The liftbars themselves of course are way too expensive.

but my local metal supplier would probably charge me 50 bucks for a 2x2 bar stock long enough to span the car from left to right (which is what I really care about for brakes), then I weld on two blocks to adapt for the Mercedes jackpoint. GTG for less than $100.

Oh well. it's rednek engineering for me anyways, and I paid for the rennstands, so I'll use them. :)

besides, if I wanted to put in that bend and weld a strap like they have, I'm not sure if my 20 ton press can put enough pressure on a 2x2 bar stock to bend it. My guess is no. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts