Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Mercedes-Benz has announced some new features and updates for the 2016 Mercedes-Benz GLA. It's nothing crazy, but the differences will be appreciated by those who are potential buyers.

Two big changes are the addition of keyless start and dual-zone climate control as standard features. People should be happy about that since both of those features are alaready standard on most luxury vehicles.

There are also a host of updates to the multimedia system. The multimedia display will grow 1.2 inches from 5.8 inches to 7 inches. The multimedia system will also gain an iPod and MP3 interface, as well as prewiring for the Garmin Map Pilot.

Another change has to do with the rearview camera. The optional rearview camera now shows a 180-degree view as well.

There are some things that people may have hoped were going to change, but haven't. The leather upholstery, back-up camera and heated seats will remain as options instead of standard. These features are part of the reason why its hard for people to buy the GLA for MSRP given what they expect from a luxury vehicle.

The pricing for the 2016 Mercedes-Benz GLA has not been released yet, but we do know that the 2016 model year GLA will go on sale in mid-October.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Its a good bet the car will have updated DCT programming although that wont be an announced change. Word at another forum claims production begins at the start of September which would have cars out in the world before mid October.

I had been considering starting a 16 waiting room thread...

·
Registered
694 Posts
One of the reasons why I like newer transmissions is that ability to program them, at least then the turn around time for changes is MUCH sooner.

·
Registered
470 Posts
MB still hasn't fixed the slow movement from a stop though, I figure a small software upgrade is all that is needed for the biggest complaint about the car.

Either MB can't for their transmission or it affects the engine or they simply too stubborn to do it.

While they are at it, they should also work on being able to de-activate the start-stop function where you are capable of leaving it off at all times.

·
Registered
197 Posts
You have to remember how things are done. If they update the software and tell everyone better software is available that fixes a number of problems and or poor performance then dealer stalls will be plugged with current owners getting their cars reprogrammed on MBs dime. On the other hand if you just roll the software update into the new model year and say nothing while attending to the few who will scream loud enough to demand attention you save a lot of money. No this isn't just a jaded old man speaking. I have seen software updates go exactly this way at Audi, BMW, and Lexus all of who had sometimes substantial and important updates available but did not reflash current owner cars. Over on the M3 forums when people figured out what complaint triggered a software update they would post it so that others could go in and get it done and I got two updates exactly that way.

You can figure the software is updated for 16, it badly needs it and it almost certainly gets it. I'm not beating up Mercedes here, as near as I can tell from both ownership of a number of DCT cars and simply from being a car guy and consuming a lot of car related material DCT programming is difficult to get right and no one yet has got it right without several software and hardware iterations.

As to the stop/start it must default to on if it was certified with it on and if I had to lay a crisp 20 down I would lay it on the side that says they certified it with stop start enabled.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I guess I cant edit my post here is a quick copy past discussing economy modes...

If a car has various driving modes but defaults back to Normal whenever the engine is turned back on the EPA draws its ratings from the Normal mode. Vehicles that default to a fuel-saving mode at start-up that economy mode becomes the predominant mode from which the EPA bases its ratings. If a car has a multi-mode system that stays in whatever mode it was in when shut down a predominant mode cannot be established. In such cases the vehicle is tested in all the available modes and the fuel economy results from the best and worst modes are harmonically averaged.

·
Registered
880 Posts
2016 A45 just debuted in Goodwood this morning with 381HP to outbeat the new RS3 362HP, wonder if this will carry over to the 2016 CLA/GLA45s

·
Registered
197 Posts
While its possible something completely unexpected could happen I'm a slam dunk to order a 16 at the opening gun which should see it in production in the first few weeks of September and arriving down south mid October just in time for me to get home from work. This is one of the reasons I didn't order a 15, I would be purchasing a year old car I wouldn't be able to drive any sooner than a 16. So this then is of great interest to me but the hp bump is not the thing I would most want if I could pick one from those possible upgrades from the A45, I would pick the adjustable suspension. I'd certainly be willing to take all of the goodies of course but sadly when I look in my crystal ball I'm not confident of getting any of them. We've been hearing about the possible hp bump, 8" screen and other tidbits for weeks now on the A45 but no such rumour can be read from any substantive source about this possibility with the GLA. This means nothing other than we are getting close enough to ordering time that these rumours would normally be floating about if it were coming but it has to give a person a person pause about expecting them.

Speaking of the 8" screen it seems to me that the upgraded screen was one of the important triggers for putting a check in the multimedia option box on the current car. If the screen upgrade isn't there for the multimedia option in the 16s and all the cars will get the 7" you have to wonder what if anything they have added to multimedia option to make it more attractive.

·
Registered
694 Posts
2016 A45 just debuted in Goodwood this morning with 381HP to outbeat the new RS3 362HP, wonder if this will carry over to the 2016 CLA/GLA45s
Since we won't be getting the A Class, the best thing they can do to make the CLA/GLA stronger products is to give us that setup in the A45.

Fingers crossed it happens for our sake and theirs.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I don't think its a question of if, it is when. Those changes are substantial and you have to figure we would have known by now if we were going to see something similar since the refresh happening to the A has been known for some time with only the content in question. We know we get the green exterior color and the new black/beige interior for 16, has anyone seen anything hinting we should be expecting some of the other changes? A telling thing to me is that the car would have to be re-certified for CAFE and with the exhaust camshaft being changed also emissions and not even a whisper in the blogs about it. Seems to me despite my own wishful thinking 16 is probably out and 17 much more likely.

Its kinda depressing because this will be a much better car with that new suspension setup.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Its a good bet the car will have updated DCT programming although that wont be an announced change. Word at another forum claims production begins at the start of September which would have cars out in the world before mid October.

I had been considering starting a 16 waiting room thread...
Start it....
I placed an order for a 16 today...

·
Registered
197 Posts
I tried after reading that on another thread and just got off the phone with them, they have no way of ordering a 16 as of yet they are telling me. Might be time to call another dealer...

·
Registered
35 Posts
crabman;57737No this isn't just a jaded old man speaking. I have seen software updates go exactly this way at Audi said:
You left out Apple, Samsung, Dell, etc., etc.

Same thing.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Definitely a typo, no way it'll make that much torque. If they managed to do that with the 2.0 liter engine somehow then they have cracked something that might be beyond anyone imagination at this point. lol

1 - 20 of 37 Posts