Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Super Moderator
Oh no, not another automotive forum-quintessential "what oil" thread. 馃お

"Beware the oil topic ..." - Wayne

Super Moderator
MB recommends Mobil-1 229.51 depending on your area 05-30 or 05-40. hot or cold areas.

Super Moderator
Mobil 1 0W-40 European Car Formula myself just because I always seem to have it on hand. 馃し鈥嶁檪锔 [and because I've always felt it's a "Tier 1" superior offering]

Ok, now I've just helped perpetuate another oil thread. :ROFLMAO:

Super Moderator
As long as we're at it, Mobil One 0-40 Euro Blend just because it meets requirements and I store several 5 liter jugs for my Porsche. Plus it's cheap to order on line (free delivery and never out of stock) from Walmart.

But that being said, I just changed oil type for my upcoming Porsche oil change ... Liqui Moly 5W-40 Leichtlauf High Tech. With over 140K miles on the 997.2 and given the hotter weather we are experiencing I figured it was time to convert 0-40 to 5-40 so why not try a "designer" oil at the same time?

Yep, flame on ... another oil thread ...

Registered
I use Motul. IMO it鈥檚 superior to Mobil 1, it鈥檚 an ester base stock vs a polyolefin polyamine blend that M1 uses. Then again, unless you鈥檙e an oil head, or plan on tracking the car a lot.. as long as you use 229.5 you鈥檙e not going to see much of any difference in a street driven car, and there鈥檚 a long list of approved engine oils.

A more impactful recommendation for helping increase longevity of the engine other than worrying about what oil you use, is to change it 2-3x more frequently than the MB recommendation. In other words, change every 3-5k miles and that will have a bigger impact than what brand.

Super Moderator
AMGOwner is spot on. Oil changes at 3 to 5K miles. UOAs (used oil analysis) will indicate Mobil One viscosity and additive packages start to break down and a TAN test will indicate acidity is developing. The designer oils may (stress on MAY) last a little longer. But 5K miles really should be the maximum between changes. Just IMHO, remember!!!

Super Moderator
For normal street driving MB says 10k miles or one year which comes first on the GLA 250. Long-distance truck companies do an oil analyst and change oil based on results. They rack up miles you would never dream if it was your car. A friend use to do an oil analyst on his cars. He found that at the results after 1 or 2 years the oil was almost the same as the new oil under normal street driving conditions. I had a 2007 SLK350, MB said 13k or one year. I drove between 11k to 12k and did a change every 12 months for 10 years and had no problems and the dipstick oil never got anything near black.

I have decided to use what the manufactory recommended to do the changes. If I did say track the car or all the time pushed it to the driving limits that I would change it more often.

Registered
I use a independent shop here in NJ who uses the less available Fuchs Titan oil. Its listed as one of the original mercedes factory fill oils and I believe it's made in Germany. as long as the oil meets the 229.5 spec, I think your good. I change oil every 4-5 k miles and include a Mann oil filter.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ha ha ha sorry, I am NOT trolling. Thanks for the replies. Don't worry Huey52 and Wayne, this is an honest question to see what people are using in their engines (targeting the M133 but others are welcome and interesting) and if they have any particular reason, I do appreciate your input. I should have probably started with my next oil change (which will be about 4k miles since the last one), will be Castrol Edge 0w-40. It meets the 229.5 spec and is available for a good price at Walmart. I chose this over the M1 0W-40 because it appears to stay in grade (within the 40 range) compared to the M1 on used oil analysis and is a low SAPs oil as it also meets the 229.51 low SAPs spec as per the bevo site: Mercedes-Benz Specifications for Operating Fluids: Engine Oil, Gear Oil, ATF, Coolant, Brakefluid , which may help reduce long term IVD (Intake Valve Deposits) on DI (Direct Injection) engines.
I am familiar with oils, more so than the average person (at least I think I am). I understand basic differences of the base stock and groups, additives, and properties of oils but I am not a tribologist or chemical engineer. I agree with AMGowner about changing the oil <5k miles or so and NOT extending it out until the service is due. I also like looking at alternatives to the common OTS oils, such as Motul, Redline, etc. I just wanted to see what people here are using and why.

So, does anybody use, or know of, the AMG 0W-40 oil listed on the bevo site for 229.5?

Again, thanks everyone.

Registered
The C63 likes the Liqui Moly, the cams are a bit more protected there with it, so I鈥檓 standardizing it across the fleet. 馃檪

1 - 13 of 13 Posts