Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was thinking that potential buyers could really benefit from a thread that talks about why owners ended up settling on the GLA after considering all their options and priorities.

So, share a bit about what made you purchase the GLA in the end? What were you looking for? Why was the GLA better than all the rest of the options.

I'll be honest, the thread is for me too. I've all but decided on the GLA. Just curious what it was that ended up making peoples' minds up.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I had a few requirements on my list for a new car...
-All wheel drive
-Decent gas mileage
-Hatchback
-Fun to drive

The GLA checked all the boxes and I got an incredible deal on mine. Why not?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I picked the GLA45 because I wanted something fast, AWD (snows where I live), 4 doors, and a bit practical (hatchback). I has seen pictures of a Subaru concept a couple years back and thought if they made a production version in the Sti model with a hatch that would be my next car. Sadly Subaru did not and I was left looking for something similar and the GLA was the only model available in Canada that met my requirements. Audi does not consistently sell their RS models here so that was also not an option.

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
I was looking to replace an F150 4X4 that I'd owned for a number of years. While I still wanted 4WD, didn't really use the F150 to haul much, and couldn't see buying another truck. That left me looking at SUVs. Early on I considered a GLK or an Audi Q5. I ruled the GLK out quickly. My wife has one and it seemed silly to have two of the same model. I drove a Q5 over a weekend on loan from the dealership, and decided it was just too big for my needs. I moved down in size and researched the GLA and an Audi Q3. Q3s showed up at the local dealership before GLAs. I made an appointment to drive the Q3 and was seriously underwhelmed. It was too much like a VW Tiguan. Fortunately a GLA arrived at the dealership the same day. SO much better than Q3 that I ordered one on the spot.

·
Registered
36 Posts
CLEARANCE! I've had a WRX, Volvo S40, and Mitsubishi Ralliart hatch, and though all were great turbo AWD cars, I would always smoke a rock or a curb and bust up the bumpers. So far this 8" of clearance is pretty sweet.

Also MPG.

Panoramic roof.

And it could fit my bike in the back without taking the front wheel off.

·
Registered
132 Posts
1- Wife wanted something smaller to zip around town
2- I wanted something with some grunt
3- I cant see the resale dropping much in Australia for a while yet
4- The snap crackle pop exhaust
5- Fuel savings are very noticeable
6- Absolute blast to have fun in
7- Added bonus of having an AMG badge ( i haven't had to pay for a service yet)
8- Memory seat positions

·
Registered
355 Posts
Love the design so much that when I saw the GLA250 at the dealer's, I asked if there was gonna be an AMG version and when he said yes, I requested for their first GLA45 AMG car. No test drive, nothing. :p

Leap of faith I guess and the car has not disappointed me!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Love the design so much that when I saw the GLA250 at the dealer's, I asked if there was gonna be an AMG version and when he said yes, I requested for their first GLA45 AMG car. No test drive, nothing. :p

Leap of faith I guess and the car has not disappointed me!
I never test drove either....:D

·
Registered
12 Posts
We were comparing three different vehicles.
GLA.................BMW 228i............Lexus CT200h
................................................Lexus was lowest price
......................BMW had cheapest cost to maintin
GLA has best seats (2 memory settings for both of us, and comfy)
GLA has best color (POISON IVY is Kryptonite Green)
GLA has best entertainment set up (but Lexus also had concierge)
GLA has blind spot help
GLA has remote start and find-my-car service in app on android phone
GLA has push button lift gate (228i is a sedan)
GLA has DVD
.................BMW has more HP, at 240. GLA is 208, Lexus hybrid was 135
.....................................................Lexus hybrid has best MPG at 40, BMW at 36, GLA at 35.

So, the GLA won on my excel spreadsheet. Yes, seriously. Went on three test drives of GLA and a spreadsheet.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
GLA has best entertainment set up (but Lexus also had concierge)
FWIW, depending on your definition of concierge, the GLA offers a concierge service through MBrace and our MB dealer also throws in a free local concierge service which very likely will go unused by me...both actually.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was looking for a hatchback with a turbo, dual clutch transmission, and all wheel drive. Was deciding between the Porsche Macan S and GLA45. Got the GLA45 for probably $15k+ less than a similarly equipped Macan S. :) I tried a few Audis before so I thought it was time for change.

·
Registered
10 Posts
PRICE was my main factor
I was looking at the 2015 Acura TLX (sticker $45,xxx AWD- SH-AWS fully fully loaded 2 left on the lot) vs 16' Chevy Volt ($41,xxx fully loaded) vs 16' CT200h ($41,xxx F-sport)
Acura was my number 1 choice b/c of all of the gadgets in it. but dealer would not drop the price to where i wanted a 2015 car to be at.
CT200h was too slow for a 41k car. The same for a volt. I figured i would go "green" when the new tesla comes out...

·
Registered
71 Posts
PRICE was my main factor
I was looking at the 2015 Acura TLX (sticker $45,xxx AWD- SH-AWS fully fully loaded 2 left on the lot) vs 16' Chevy Volt ($41,xxx fully loaded) vs 16' CT200h ($41,xxx F-sport)
Acura was my number 1 choice b/c of all of the gadgets in it. but dealer would not drop the price to where i wanted a 2015 car to be at.
CT200h was too slow for a 41k car. The same for a volt. I figured i would go "green" when the new tesla comes out...
You may get close enough to the "green" parameters with the GLA. My GLA 250 4MATIC shows with certainty mixed (urban-highway) consumption along California winding roads on daily basis from 28.5 to 31.7 mpg.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My short list was down to 3:
1. M-B GLA 45 AMG
2. Porsche Macan
3. Range Rover Evoque

The deciding factors were:
1. GLA 45 handling, cornering and acceleration.
2. Couldn't special order an Evoque from local dealer.
3. Macan not available for test drive at nearest dealer, and quite a bit more expensive than the GLA 45 after desired options.
4. Overall, the GLA 45 AMG was the better car for what I was looking for.

Celebrated 1-year anniversary on Sunday, Feb. 28, no regrets, see new picture!

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Short list:
Tesla S 70D (the car I really wanted - the most exciting car I have ever driven, but I had issues paying $80K+ for a car)
Subaru Outback (the economical choice, but 0-60 in 9 seconds ugh!)
MB GLA250 4Matic (the rational choice, but a $40K+ compromise?)

Criteria:
AWD
0-60 in under 6 seconds
efficient (was looking for 35 mpg combined, but not available with AWD from any make besides Tesla)
enough room for 3 kids in back
comfortable seats, nice trim options (stereo, nav, etc.)
hatchback: not a dealbreaker, but preferred

The GLA is pretty nice. I'm not crazy excited about it (it doesn't make me grin like the Tesla did), but it is certainly a nice ride, it handles well, better than the BMW X1 and it might be the most efficient vehicle in its class. But after driving a Prius for 9 years, I had hoped the auto industry would have made more gains in efficiency. Hey, MB, if you're reading this, you really need to reassess how space is used in the GLA. It is about the same size as my old Prius (I parked them next to each other and they were a good match) but it has much much less room inside, fewer compartments, a teeny tiny glove compartment and my kids hate the cramped backseat.

Upshot: I'm putting a deposit down on a Tesla 3 as soon as I can and will drive the GLA until it is delivered in about 2 years. Then I will pass the GLA on to my husband.

·
Registered
106 Posts
First, thanks for all the info on this site. I spent a few hours reading your feedback before purchasing my GLA45.

I drove the Macans and didn't like the twitchy suspension (even though I love Porsches). I also considered a Tesla 70D but it is much heavier and more expensive, and still poses range anxiety issues. Besides the dog fits easier in the back of the GLA:)

GLA45 feels a lot more nimble than either of the above 2. I love the light turn-in (very similar to the older 3-series BMWs and newer 911s). The brakes are a bit touchy but the combination of available AWD, DCT, excellent European crash test results, the sounds, and steering feel convinced me. In short, it is a fun car to drive in any weather, has a back seat and just enough room for the big dog in the hatch/trunk.

However, I am a bit surprised that at this price point, MB doesn't include the headlight washers, adaptive headlights (where the headlights turn as you steer), or active steering (even though it includes parktronic that steers the car). A friend's 2008 BMW 328xi has headlight washers and adaptive headlights at a much lower price point.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Welcome rayman, always glad to hear folks got useful information from our GLA forum. You live in a great place to enjoy your GLA's best attributes! Please share some photos of your 45 as well as more about your driving experiences.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks turbolink! Still working onresizing a picture for the profile image.

Further on my decision, I am glad I didn't wait for the Tesla model X. I finally test-drove one yesterday and boy they need to work on the wind noise. With the glass going all the way above your head, you really get a lot of wind noise at highway speeds from all the glass around you. Also, the front seat bottom cushions are surprisingly short (I am 6'2"). The drive and handling was nice though and better than I expected given the curb weight of 5700. I wouldn't call the Model X a sports SUV, my wife's Cayenne diesel has far better handling.

As for driving the GLA45 so far, it is lots of fun. Lack of adaptive headlights seems to be less of an issue for me as the headlights seem to have a nice wide coverage. We shall see how the lack of headlight washers works in the winter months in Colorado though.

The brakes are definitely more touchy than my other cars. They grab a lot earlier, so you have to be very gentle to avoid jerky stops.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Tesla model X...Also, the front seat bottom cushions are surprisingly short (I am 6'2").
Beautiful GLA45! Speaking of the seat bottom cushions, you are aware the GLA seats have extension seats, yes? That was not pointed out on delivery to me, I learned it through this forum.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts