Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

What does a Double Beep alert mean?

86K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  jrs1016 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have had a 2015 GLA for almost 1 year. Today a double beep warning alert started. It did it after I started the car and was driving for about 10 minutes and was mildly accelerating. It happened again a second time later in the day under the same conditions. There are no visible warning lights on the dash and I cannot detect any systems failing while driving.
Does anyone have an idea of what the beeps might be?

#4 ·
I think I might have found the source of the double beeps. After scrolling through the dash screen settings, I discovered the Audible box was checked for Automatic Locking Doors. I unchecked that box and the beeps did not occur today.

I am not the only driver of this car so someone may have changed the settings.

#5 ·
Odds are it is the collision avoidance system. Numerous reports in this forum of random false collision warnings.

#6 ·
I have had beeps happen a few times now. There is a quick flash of red in the lower left quadrant of dash, I have not yet researched what it might be? It happens randomly but I have been all alone on the road no cars close and probably doing maybe 50 ish. The noise startles me and I have no idea why it does it.

Was going to try to get to the dealer to ask them.

#7 ·
I get this alert. It is the collision avoidance alert. I have definitely had some, what appear to be false, alerts. Not sure if they were in fact real, like a bird or something, definitely no vehicle nearby. I hadn't thought about a road bump or rise to trigger it, but will keep that in mind. I have not reported it yet to dealer since I can't substantiate it. Was thinking that if I had a dashcam, it might be able to provide support. (or am I just looking for an excuse to buy a dash-cam?!)

#9 ·
I have definitely had several false collision avoidance alerts. I have a similar system in my 2015 Yukon and get false ones on that vehicle as well. Here is what I've found can trigger them:

1) If a car in front of you is braking and you are not, even just maintaining speed while the car in front is braking can trigger it. Even at a safe distance.
2) Bright sunlight into the system, or bright reflections at the front of the car, will cause this issue. Especially if they suddenly appear.
3) On rare occasions, shadows can do it too, but this I've found to be uncommon.

Hope this helps...

#11 ·
I haven't tried changing lanes with the little red triangle on, but can confirm that you get the beep if you put on your turn signal while the red triangle is lit.

#12 ·
I got the double beep warning in my 45 (with the red warning symbol on the dash) on the way home while coming to a stop sign on a slight uphill. It's happened 3 times during the week, all in the same location, even where there are no other cars in front of me. I thought it was odd, not only because there were no cars in front, but also because I was under the assumption that I wouldn't have this type of feature without the distronic radar package. I'm stumped on what triggers the warning.

#13 ·
The collision warning (supposedly active, meaning it should break for you too, but dont want to test that out) is standard on all mercedes, they take pride on it. Its the two little nipple sensors in the front grille, outward from the front plate area. Parktronics add the sensors on the bumpers, distronic adds the senors in the huge mercedes logo grille (the logo is no longer 3d, looks flat and filled)

Most likely its a false signal, ive had a few myself but like 2 in 6 months ownership

#16 ·
The double beeps for emails are a different sound from the other beeps I get even when alone on a road. Not only that on my 2016 GLA45 I have had the "Collision Prevention Assist Inoperative" message twice where the car drops into idle with no response from pressing the gas. I had to stop the car, shut it off and restart it.

#17 ·
Same here - just picked up our 2015 CPO, with 7k miles a week ago (BTW>>>LOVE IT!). She was driving yesterday, alone on a street after starting 5 min ago going about 35 - the BEEP BEEP. She = WHAT WAS THAT??? I said, don't know, perhaps the blind spot warning - even tho no other car. Not sure what the audible warning is for turn sig on and moving to next lane with a car in blindspot - I think I tested that on the highway coming home, and it sounded like that. My last words to her...'whatever', don't worry. BTW, I plan to file a full report as a new customer of the GLA soon with some pics. It will not have many gripes....

#18 ·
I have a 2015 GLA for almost 1 year. Today a double beep warning alert started. It did it after I started the car and was driving for about 10 minutes and was mildly accelerating. It happened again a second time later in the day under the same conditions. There are no visible warning lights on the dash and I cannot detect any systems failing while driving. Any one have an idea of what the beeps might be?
I had the same situation and it was driving me nuts until one of my kids diagnosed it. If you have your cellphone bluetooth linked with your car (so you can make hands free phone calls, etc.) you will get the double beep every time someone sends you a text or an email. It is not the tone you set on your phone for texts or emails; it is just the double beep, presumably so you won't grab your phone and start looking at it. Just knowing what it is was a relief. I kept thinking something was wrong and looking for the source of that 'warning' beep-beep.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.