Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Tried race start today on the GLA45.. can't believe it has taken me so long. Worked alright, but I paddle shifted out of 1st gear around 5000-5500 rpm and got a really loud thud/knock from under the car on the shift into 2nd gear. It drove okay after that but that can't be good. I think torque was still being managed b/w front and rear trying to minimize slip and I threw in a shift under full throttle as torque was being tweaked to minimize spin. I think I'll go to redline next time... I just didn't want to hit fuel cut.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Tried race start today on the GLA45.. can't believe it has taken me so long. Worked alright, but I paddle shifted out of 1st gear around 5000-5500 rpm and got a really loud thud/knock from under the car on the shift into 2nd gear. It drove okay after that but that can't be good. I think torque was still being managed b/w front and rear trying to minimize slip and I threw in a shift under full throttle as torque was being tweaked to minimize spin. I think I'll go to redline next time... I just didn't want to hit fuel cut.
The clunk had been reported as being normal. I think you can hear the same thud/clunk when you are in C mode going above 50mph+ and you stab the accelerator and remove it quickly under heavy engine load. I think the transmission gets confused

That or something in the engine transmission chain is starting to fail, like an engine mount or an axle

·
Registered
3 Posts
m-type is right. those are the oem bi-xenon headlights. it was how the picture was taken that is why the whole headlights looked like it were swapped out for LEDs,

·
Registered
197 Posts
Put my brand new snow tires and wheels on the GLA45 today. My winter set is 18x8 Sport Edition A15 (Matte Titanium) with MIchelin X-Ice X13 in 235/50R-18. I love snow to start with and now I really can't wait... love the purposeful look of the meaty 18's. I'll post a pic of the 20's also, taken 2 hours prior to the snows going on. And yeah, the car isn't clean... it usually isn't. ;)

Winters

Summers

·
Registered
197 Posts
Just took it out for a spin with the new winters.... wee.... feels nice, a bit softer ride... here's a better picture of the new tires/wheels

·
Registered
155 Posts
DIY Rim protector
hopefully this time it will hold
first tyre took 3hrs, 2nd tyre 1hr, 3rd & 4th 0.5hrs
very painfull job

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-TL10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
221 Posts
I gotta ask - why?

Especially since you have goodyears now - if you look right at the area where you placed the C clamp (right next to the bead) Goodyear adds extra rubber there to form a lip that's the first thing the curb hits. I think other manufacturers have started doing this, but Goodyear was advertising it when I was a tire monkey. If you take the first picture, look down by the ground to see exactly why that rubber ring is unnecessary. Now, if you like the look, that's on you, but I don't see a functional purpose for it.

Then again, on the second picture, I notice just a slight scuffing on the top of the rim, so maybe it's a vehicle-awareness problem? I would recommend abusing the German over-engineering trait - the passenger side mirror has WAY more vertical adjustment range than the driver. Shift into reverse, drop the passenger mirror to look at the back tire, park along curb. Bonus points are you'll only have to do it once - the car will reset it in drive, and set it again in reverse from thence on.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I gotta ask - why?

Especially since you have goodyears now - if you look right at the area where you placed the C clamp (right next to the bead) Goodyear adds extra rubber there to form a lip that's the first thing the curb hits. I think other manufacturers have started doing this, but Goodyear was advertising it when I was a tire monkey. If you take the first picture, look down by the ground to see exactly why that rubber ring is unnecessary. Now, if you like the look, that's on you, but I don't see a functional purpose for it.

Then again, on the second picture, I notice just a slight scuffing on the top of the rim, so maybe it's a vehicle-awareness problem? I would recommend abusing the German over-engineering trait - the passenger side mirror has WAY more vertical adjustment range than the driver. Shift into reverse, drop the passenger mirror to look at the back tire, park along curb. Bonus points are you'll only have to do it once - the car will reset it in drive, and set it again in reverse from thence on.
yeah, i know theres rim protecter there on the tyre, because of that my rim got scratches now.

that scratches happened to be on driver side

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-TL10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did my own Service A last night. I used the Topsider oil extraction kit. Holy cow! That was the easiest and cleanest oil change I’ve ever done on any car. Didn’t spill a single drop.

Other items to take care of were pretty basic. Quick YouTube search showed me how to reset the service warning.

Please save yourself the money, do it yourself and have a beer while cleaning in the engine bay as the Topsider does its thing.

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
NEED SOME INPUT ON THIS ASAP IF ANYONE CAN...

Context: Car has 7,000 miles or so, has only been to the dealer once for service A a few months ago.

So what did I do? I took the GLA45 into the dealer to have the eco start/stop fixed, a recall done, and to have COMAND updated (due to the system not responding intelligently to nav requests).

But I also had a question for them, and I got the question from the forum. My question was, "Did the air filter get changed during service A?" The service associate looked up my history and told me that it had not been done. I asked, that since this is a GLA45, isn't it part of service A? She told me no. I asked her if she was certain and she said she'd look it up. Eventually she was able to find that the air filter change SHOULD be part of service A for the GLA45 (but not the GLA250).

She tells me they can go ahead and do the filter at this time, and that it will be $138 parts and labor. They did not offer to pay for that and I'm trying to figure out if they should have offered since they neglected to do it in the first place and then told me again today initially it wasn't part of service A. Who should pay for it? Me, or the dealer, or some split?

I'm picking up the car in the morning.. thanks for your thoughts.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts