Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
firx11 - you've inspired me to reconsider an E85 tune! For years it wasn't available nearby so I'd run a pump tune and a 100 octane tune on previous cars. But now, low and behold, there's a shiny new E85 pump at the local gas station. Maybe I'll buy a Flex Fuel badge too. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
firx11 - you've inspired me to reconsider an E85 tune! For years it wasn't available nearby so I'd run a pump tune and a 100 octane tune on previous cars. But now, low and behold, there's a shiny new E85 pump at the local gas station. Maybe I'll buy a Flex Fuel badge too. :)
i am super, super happy with the e85 tune. my only "complaints" are that i can't really run e85 when it gets cold - anything below 40 deg (fahrenheit) and it has trouble firing up. and of course if you regularly take the car on trips, it might become a pain, lol. i recently headed north to south dakota for a conference and found myself switching tunes to gas about midway there :geek: of course, making the switch to a gas tune is a matter of a couple minutes at a gas station and you're off.

fortunately, i have found a place nearby that seems to carry summer grade E85 (actual 83%+ when tested) from the spring onwards, so finding a place where you can get it easily and form a routine around testing it, etc. has been key.

the difference in torque in the lower power band is phenomenal (imho) btwn the stage 2 gas tune and the "stage 2" e85 tune (technically called the "aggressive" e85 tune). i usually put my sprint booster throttle controller on the "race" setting and so this, combined with the e85 tune, means the car does 4 wheel slides on dry pavement. LOL. it is truly awesome. i've joked with the wife so many times that i'm trying to control a bucking bronco :ROFLMAO: it becomes an actual beast of a car. and so now i am considering better wheels, tires and some basic suspension mods to ensure that i don't actually put the car into a ditch when it becomes ridiculously spicy.

so tl;dr: i don't have all the answers re: e85 longevity on this platform, but **** is it fun and it has been running absolutely fine since august 2020 when i started the e85 journey w/tork. let us know if you decide to go that route. it'd be nice to have someone else experience this, lol.

41 - 42 of 42 Posts