Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yes, the tune is in a handheld tuner that you just plug into the OBD2 port
And you can switch back and forth between original and all the modified tunes. I reverted back to give the car to the dealer to troubleshoot some issues, OMG, it was so slow with the original tune!

·
Registered
51 Posts
You can buy the Cypher from Weistech and have a base and a mod, it takes 30 seconds to program your ecu, anywhere, anytime.

Cypher gets an F.
If you happen to get the ECU updated by dealership... then Cypher wont work, its unable to do write / read.
I tried and tried, Weistec support and about 20 emails back and forth to Weistec and Italy DIMSPORT ( (who makes the interface itself MyGenius and handheld) - weistech just slaps a sticker on it. ) and nope... abandon idea. No go.

It was only a temporary step for me anyway.
I was told that Renn handheld can get around the locked ECU - not confirmed, but I dont see why not... considering I had no issues with HPTuners.

·
Registered
272 Posts
GLAmapper, just looking for clarification regarding "ECU updated by dealership"...

I think I understand where you are going regarding the aftermarket plug in tune not recognizing any updates, but how often or when would a dealer update the ECU that would affect these plug in's? I went to the dealer a few years back and they checked for "software updates" and my invoice shows an update was performed. It might have had a number or something with it, I'd have to check the invoice again, but my point is, many "software updates" likely have nothing to do with performance mapping of the fuel, boost, speed or other inputs needed for the aftermarket plugins to read. You say the Weistec unit gets an F for this, and you are not sure about the Renntech? I'd like to get one of these units as well, Renntech focused but also now going to look at Weistec since I also have their BOV (only other mod high flow air filter by AMS).

·
Registered
51 Posts
GLAmapper, just looking for clarification regarding "ECU updated by dealership"...

I think I understand where you are going regarding the aftermarket plug in tune not recognizing any updates, but how often or when would a dealer update the ECU that would affect these plug in's? I went to the dealer a few years back and they checked for "software updates" and my invoice shows an update was performed. It might have had a number or something with it, I'd have to check the invoice again, but my point is, many "software updates" likely have nothing to do with performance mapping of the fuel, boost, speed or other inputs needed for the aftermarket plugins to read. You say the Weistec unit gets an F for this, and you are not sure about the Renntech? I'd like to get one of these units as well, Renntech focused but also now going to look at Weistec since I also have their BOV (only other mod high flow air filter by AMS).
What happened is the dealership flashes an update, that update included changes to communication and access to serial numbers, rendering the Cypher unable to communicate with the ECU. Had n
Mercedes performed an update last year June (2020). The Cypher, which needs to recognize serial numbers, was no longer able to. - As from their support - they had not yet figured out how to establish communication with Mercedes ECUs that receive the update that changes this.
You are right, many updates have nothing to do with performance however, locking out handhelds also has nothing to do with performance or transmission changes (i.e. fueling, waste-gate DC%). The issue was 'plug in device' and ... in about 3 seconds receive - (unable to communicate with ECU message displayed).
Lots of manufacturers 'lock' out abilities to calibrate.
This is why you see Pigtail tunes, basically they are feeding 'fake; signals for the ECU to make changes.
Having Weistec BOV has nothing to do with which calibration tool you use.
akin to me running a turbosmart BOV (electronic one) and using HP Tuners. works fine.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I've got a couple Q's for you guys along this subject line if the original poster does not mind? Actually my first Q is right up his ally:

1) I think Jimbo45 has another post about track time and what not. And it seems I saw that a tuned 45 was having issues with wheel slip in the AWD due to power overwhelming and the car reacting by going into some "AWD not available" mode? My Q.....I have the AMS high flow filter and only plan to add a plug in type tune, Renntech or otherwise. Would these performance gains create issues with grip with stock 19x8 wheels and 245x45 continental ultra HP all season tires (Conti DWS06)? I really do not want to buy wider wheels/tires than this if I don't need to. I likely won't track this car, but I do get on it and thus the Q.

2) Mentioning tune, Renntech HHT has been my focus, but at one time I saw VividRacing, and then I saw some negative comments with them (perhaps not from this site but other sites). I recently found RaceChip, anyone have any experience with them?

Their plug in module is very much like Vivid and also like Vivid they mention their programming and what not is from a Stuttgart location. RaceChip GTS version is $749, quite a bit less than Renntech, but with this they say they always stay within vehicle extra parameters and don't push things, thus providing a "2 yr., $10k max engine warranty" which I have not read yet. This plug in provides less HP/TQ numbers than Renntech, but very much what I am looking for (+40HP and +55lb ft). They add this to crank figures, so 355HP becomes 395 and 387 TQ respectively. It's likely dyno'd and renntech was good enough to tell us that they use 18% power loss in drivetrain when they tell you what they believe your new Crank HP/TQ output would be.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've got a couple Q's for you guys along this subject line if the original poster does not mind? Actually my first Q is right up his ally:

1) I think Jimbo45 has another post about track time and what not. And it seems I saw that a tuned 45 was having issues with wheel slip in the AWD due to power overwhelming and the car reacting by going into some "AWD not available" mode? My Q.....I have the AMS high flow filter and only plan to add a plug in type tune, Renntech or otherwise. Would these performance gains create issues with grip with stock 19x8 wheels and 245x45 continental ultra HP all season tires (Conti DWS06)? I really do not want to buy wider wheels/tires than this if I don't need to. I likely won't track this car, but I do get on it and thus the Q.

2) Mentioning tune, Renntech has been my focus, but at one time I saw VividRacing, and then I saw some negative comments with them (perhaps not from this site but other sites). I recently found RaceChip, anyone have any experience with them?

There plug in module is very much like Vivid and also like Vivid they mention their programming and what not is from a Stuttgart location. RaceChip GTS version is $749, quite a bit less than Renntech, but with this they say they always stay within vehicle extra parameters and don't push things, thus providing a "2 yr., $10k max engine warranty" which I have not read yet. This plug in provides less HP/TQ numbers than Renntech, but very much what I am looking for (+40HP and +55lb ft). They add this to crank figures, so 355HP becomes 395 and 387 TQ respectively. It's likely dyno'd and renntech was good enough to tell us that they use 18% power loss in drivetrain when they tell you what they believe your new Crank HP/TQ output would be.
I have over 500Crank HP and I feel I could use even more on the track. I too have 19x8 wheels and along with my Michelin PS4, they are both NOT good for the track and drift deep into the turns. Unless you track your car, the 19x8 is just fine, the performance gains you are seeking are minimal at best. I just bought some R-compound 245x40-19 tires for the track, hoping that helps my grip issues. I turn off all the nanny features when racing and have had NO issues with AWD not being available. I use Weistech and wholeheartedly recommend them. They have been great to work with. I use their "Cypher" programer, which is just a rebranded device. I have multiple ECU maps and can switch between them in less than 3 minutes, including the original map.

·
Super Moderator
2,033 Posts
FWIW, California is now planning on reading the ECU as a part of smog checking. Any changes will fail the vehicle. So if this applies to you it might be prudent to make sure you can easily convert back and forth between mods on OEM.

·
Registered
272 Posts
FWIW, California is now planning on reading the ECU as a part of smog checking. Any changes will fail the vehicle. So if this applies to you it might be prudent to make sure you can easily convert back and forth between mods on OEM.
I saw that, I'm in Colorado, so good there for now. Regardless as Jimbo45 mentioned, I'm wanting one of the tuners that can easily be taken off the car and the ECU is returned to stock since annually the car is in for service at the dealer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Vancouverdoc may I ask what year your car is? I have a 2019 and have been thinking about the Renntech but haven’t found anyone that’s installed this on their newer model what with the warrantee still being in place. They seem to use the same tune for the 2015 to 2019 which I thought was strange and they don’t quote stats for the 2019

·
Registered
5 Posts
Vancouverdoc may I ask what year your car is? I have a 2019 and have been thinking about the Renntech but haven’t found anyone that’s installed this on their newer model what with the warrantee still being in place. They seem to use the same tune for the 2015 to 2019 which I thought was strange and they don’t quote stats for the 2019
Yes, mine is a 2015, Edition One model. From my conversations with Patrick at Renntech, he said that a 2015 and 2019 (for example) would end up performing exactly the same with their ECU tune as it’s really the same engine. He also said that the top speed limiter would be deactivated. I am really happy with the tune though as it makes the car so much more fun to drive and would have no hesitation on installing it even if my car was still under warranty. In fact, I have a 2022 E63S AMG wagon on order and am planning on installing the Renntech tune as soon as I get that car

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes, mine is a 2015, Edition One model. From my conversations with Patrick at Renntech, he said that a 2015 and 2019 (for example) would end up performing exactly the same with their ECU tune as it’s really the same engine. He also said that the top speed limiter would be deactivated. I am really happy with the tune though as it makes the car so much more fun to drive and would have no hesitation on installing it even if my car was still under warranty. In fact, I have a 2022 E63S AMG wagon on order and am planning on installing the Renntech tune as soon as I get that car
Thanks for the info. I’m definitely leaning towards getting the Renntech

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the info. I’m definitely leaning towards getting the Renntech
I see that you’re also from Canada and forgot to mention that the horsepower gain with the Renntech HHT might be a bit lower than the quoted maximum. According to Patrick at Renntech, they have to consider what octane fuel will be used and so he said they program the HHT tuner a little differently for Canadian customers based on the grade of fuel that’s available here. I don’t know what the specific number is but irregardless the car feels a lot faster with the tune

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thank you sir I’m not too worried about the overall numbers. I think the improvements are more noticeable on a 2015 rather than a 2019 however I am hoping for a little more instant umph. The 2019 is relatively smooth there is just a hesitation that I’m hoping it will fix. I don’t believe it’s turbo lag but I could be wrong. It improves in sport or sport+ but it’s still there

·
Registered
518 Posts
I saw that, I'm in Colorado, so good there for now. Regardless as Jimbo45 mentioned, I'm wanting one of the tuners that can easily be taken off the car and the ECU is returned to stock since annually the car is in for service at the dealer.
Honest question, your sig says 2015, so your warranty is out. Why do you care if the dealers know your car is tuned? All service should be paid at this point, yes?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Thank you sir I’m not too worried about the overall numbers. I think the improvements are more noticeable on a 2015 rather than a 2019 however I am hoping for a little more instant umph. The 2019 is relatively smooth there is just a hesitation that I’m hoping it will fix. I don’t believe it’s turbo lag but I could be wrong. It improves in sport or sport+ but it’s still there
Honest question, your sig says 2015, so your warranty is out. Why do you care if the dealers know your car is tuned? All service should be paid at this point, yes?
On the turbo lag, (yes, it's turbo lag since the 2.0 has a single, pretty good sized turbo), you likely won't see much. The key is understanding it's there and how to get into the throttle at the right time, say, out of a corner, to make it work the way you want. In the corner example, you don't wait on corner exit, you accelerate early knowing it won't kick in and mess you up, and guess what, by corner exit it's full on (sport mode, and your AWD will help ensure smooth exit).

Correct, I pay. Point is I don't want them marking down it's tuned. Transmission issue, rear diff, perhaps they would cut me a break on cost? Trade in? You never know, it's best they don't know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Another enthusiastic thumbs up (y) for Tork Motorsports Stg 2 tune.
I've had it flashed to my stock '18 (w/ a drop-in K&N filter) for about 4 months now, and I'm very satisfied with the meatier powerband and how smoothly the car runs.
When I was initially trying to decide which company/tune to go with, I gave Tork a call. John spent about 20 minutes on the phone with me discussing the various tunes/options and the differences between them. According to him, a Stg 2 tune on a stock GLA 45 yields about 420 hp. Done deal!
I received the tuner in about 4 days. I uploaded the Stg 2 tune from John's email to the tuner and flashed it to my ECU. In about 20 minutes, I was ready to take it out for a test drive....and returned with a very big smile on my face!
Highly recommended!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Another enthusiastic thumbs up (y) for Tork Motorsports Stg 2 tune.
I've had it flashed to my stock '18 (w/ a drop-in K&N filter) for about 4 months now
Here's my research for those who are in the market. I'm leaning toward Tork also. Instead of K&N filter though, I'm considering one that increases the diameter of the inlet.
Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Number

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
feel free to email him at [email protected] if you have any specific tune questions (his name is john bushbaum). it would be nice to have someone else try this tune out, lol. :)
I have a little tiny bit of hands on with DI High E85 side effects, its a nice drug, but should be enjoyed responsibly.
we here at the sidelines, are waiting for your mileage report, and what the access to the HPFP and spill valve entails.
because,
black goo
it forms when there isn't enough petroleum to keep it flushed out, odd chem reaction to etoh and some oil additives

M5 does not do this, but, hard to get everywhere

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a little tiny bit of hands on with DI High E85 side effects, its a nice drug, but should be enjoyed responsibly.
we here at the sidelines, are waiting for your mileage report, and what the access to the HPFP and spill valve entails.
because,
black goo
it forms when there isn't enough petroleum to keep it flushed out, odd chem reaction to etoh and some oil additives

M5 does not do this, but, hard to get everywhere
i switch tunes from e85 to gas for the winter, due to lack of availability of summer grade e85 and the ridiculous cold we get here.

i'm not sure i even drive it enough to show much wear on the hpfp, lol, regardless of what i'm running. i wish i could provide more info for you. what would you like me to do - remove my hpfp and send you high res pics? :ROFLMAO:

21 - 40 of 42 Posts