Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on 8 days of my new Weistec tune. I’ve installed a PTP Turbo Blanket, Weistec ASV (anti surge valve) and Alpha intake.

In other threads I showed the wide dash screen I’ve installed and I also added aluminum door lock knobs. But that’s not important.

Weistec tune started out with issues, when I picked her up from Mercedes, after having them ship and receive the ecu, my car would go into a sort of turbo limp mode. It had boost and then it would go away. The car would drive normal just under no boost. Mercedes reached out to Weistec and they figured out that there was an error in the code that caused a wastegate actuator issue that didn’t allow the boost to properly feed and the computer would trip an underboost code. Now that it is fixed we are off to the races.

While there still is delay in the turbo, I will tell you that this tune is insane. The car is very, very noticeably faster. I will run a dyno next to see what numbers she really pulls. The low end is extremely fast, the high end has more to be desired. I ran a pull from a dig (dead stop) against a Lamborghini Gallardo and walked him 6 car lengths until about third where he overtook me.

If you guys have any questions you would like answered please let me know. From here I think I’ve actually decided on the FI exhaust and the red lash tune from weistec that they just released as w.2 tune. They claim 455 whp and 515 wtq with this new tune. If someone is looking for the sport amg exhaust I would be happy to sell mine. It only has 3000 miles on it. I’m not quite sure if I will do a downpipe but if I do it will be a catted downpipe so that I have no CEL issues. Happy modding!

·
Registered
456 Posts
whats the red lash tune?
c

·
Registered
237 Posts
Very cool!

I wonder if the Lamborghini owner just had a bad reaction time?

Did you get a 1/4 mile time and a 0-60? I just got DashCommander working, and it includes a timer for that, so I'll be collecting my own unofficial 0-60 with a piggyback module (claim is 435 bhp, but I haven't gotten a dyno yet which I really need to). My tune is different though, the manufacturerer claims not to have messed with the car below 3k or 2k so as not to affect the drive-ability of the car, then extend the power ramp above that. I don't know if that is true, but I hope so, for overall longevity of the vehicle. Anyways, the claim was 0-60 is licking the heels of 4 seconds, which would be just awesome if true.

If I can get off my duff to dyno the car, we should compare the power curves to see what they look like below 3k.

With 26 lb of boost, I don't think there is anything we can do about turbo lag. And it's OK really, the car is not a drag car. Once over 30, the car really builds speed fast!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Das,
How did the weistec tune affect your gas mileage and how is the car in comfort mode? Is it relatively normal in comfort or still in beast mode??

·
Registered
456 Posts
Always mileage go down when power added.
c

·
Registered
237 Posts
Actually mileage always goes up. Seems counter intuitive, even when explaining it in terms of increasing output efficiency, which is exactly what we are doing. Top Gear even proved this with their race against the M3 and prius on a track.

...Of course, most (all!) of us drive with sufficient leaden foot to ensure we actually use the power gains we implemented, which reduces the fuel efficiency.... 'cause let's be honest, that's the whole point of the upgrade, right? :)

·
Registered
456 Posts
Actually mileage always goes up. Seems counter intuitive, even when explaining it in terms of increasing output efficiency, which is exactly what we are doing. Top Gear even proved this with their race against the M3 and prius on a track.

...Of course, most (all!) of us drive with sufficient leaden foot to ensure we actually use the power gains we implemented, which reduces the fuel efficiency.... 'cause let's be honest, that's the whole point of the upgrade, right? :)
What??? more power more gas you use. mine when down with all the mods i did.
what did you do to make the mpg go up? may be if you don use gas pedal , might go up, but not when you on gas.
prius vs. m3 has nothing to do with this.
C

·
Registered
237 Posts
if you don use gas pedal , might go up, but not when you on gas.

C
That's what I said! :)

Bottom line: if you increase the efficiency at which you make power with the same fuel, you will improve gas mileage for the vehicle at the same power levels generated. that simple :)

·
Registered
58 Posts

Which is exactly why I asked the question b/c I had read that MPG could improve after a tune (lead foot excluded). I know nothing about turbos so this is all new to me. A call to weistec and their sales guy mentioned something about increasing the boost, but I have no idea what else they tinker with.

·
Registered
237 Posts
to caug's point, I suspect exactly NONE of us pursue power gain tunes in order to hyper-mile our way above 40 mpg. :) But, a technicality is a technicality...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Alright so is it “safe” to go with the Weistec tune? Unfortunately, I only see bad reviews on their Tuning option. Like the OP stated, his tune had issues, which none of us wants to encounter. Than again we gotta understand, that most people that had a negative experience with Weistec will let us know right away to stay away from them and post negative comments. But for those that their tune is working correctly, and with no issues, they will not say a thing.
So my question is, do you know anyone that had their ECU tuned by Weistec, and is working without any issues.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I would go with eurocharged or Ams performance.
that's my new plan, our 45 turbos have problems with wastegate at higher miles cars like mine @73k miles.
so i ll be getting Pure turbo and will have to reflash, so i ll be going with eurocharhged. They are opening new location on boston, right where i am.
C

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would go with eurocharged or Ams performance.
that's my new plan, our 45 turbos have problems with wastegate at higher miles cars like mine @73k miles.
so i ll be getting Pure turbo and will have to reflash, so i ll be going with eurocharhged. They are opening new location on boston, right where i am.
C
Chug keep us updated about that!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts