Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
anyone else notice this. Accelerating to 80 mph you cannot see the steering wheel vibrate but it feels like you are going over small ripples in the road. MB does not know yet what it is. It is not a huge bother but I just want to make sure it is not something wrong with the car. I am not 100 percent sure if it is while it is under acceleration or just cruising, but it is definitely there.

·
Registered
184 Posts
is it always present, does the vibration increase with speed? safe bet is either improperly balanced wheels or perhaps you got a bum tire...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
have changed all 4 wheels and tires. they are 100% ruled out. my mb dealer also feels it and does not know what it is.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Sounds like it isn't something that is being experienced by everyone. It could be a one off thing with your GLA, or at least a problem that is only affecting a particular set of GLAs. At least its not anything too serious, but it would be nice to get it fixed I'm sure.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Definitely sounds like the wheels might be in need of being balanced, if that's not it, at least it will be a starting point for diagnosing this issue

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
still has ripple vibration

as I stated I purchased another set of wheels and tires and the car still has the ripple effect at about 80mph and it gets more when you go over that speed. again balancing the tires is not the problem as you can read above. any other ideas with suspension, 4matic xmission brakes, struts etc

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good news is that we got over 33 on the road yesterday with the GLA 45, bad news is that the vibration really gets worse as you get faster. when we hit 90 mph the vibration was not only in the steering wheel but you could really feel it in the seat as well. Please if anyone has any info on this let me know. Remember we totally changed the wheels and tires.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I think at this point you'll want to take it to the dealer to see what they can do about it as they should be, it's a new vehicle after all, still covered.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Good news is that we got over 33 on the road yesterday with the GLA 45, bad news is that the vibration really gets worse as you get faster. when we hit 90 mph the vibration was not only in the steering wheel but you could really feel it in the seat as well. Please if anyone has any info on this let me know. Remember we totally changed the wheels and tires.
a bearing of some kind? Perhaps its an issue with one of the drive shafts, are you able to pinpoint it to a specific corner of the vehicle say?

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Occam's Razor. Easiest to assess the more obvious issues that could be going on:

-Wheels are seated with the wrong shape of lugs (conical vs. Ball) This happens more often than you'd think with aftermarket wheels and clueless installers.

-Aftermarket wheels may require a centering ring to properly match the hub

-Snow tires can have a tendency to really grip the cement when hot and at higher speeds, can give this impression and feel on the road

-Something knocked you out of alignment

-Poorly made tire from the factory.

-The highway you are traveling on has either been worn to that texture, or on purpose.

Reactions: rayman

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hate to start another thread but my first one lost steam. Am I the only new gla45 amg owner that is experiencing this 80 mph ripple vibration in the wheel and even in my seat. MB does not really know what to do so i am reaching out to any of the new owners to see if I can get any helpful info. Remember the tires and wheels have been changed. My sales person said that on one of the gla 45 company cars, there were similar rumors but nothing concrete. It starts at about 75 and is really noticeable at 85. the way I can explain it, is that when you are driving on a patch of road that has had heavy equipment with steel tracks on it, it feels as if you are going over those indention's that the tracks make.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi twilloo,

I’m also a proud owner of the new gla45amg and have 4200 km already. to be honest, I don’t have experienced that problem on my car. It’s true that the car itself has some vibration, like when the turbo comes in, the car vibrates and many plastic parts can be heard, but it’s because of the engine being so small and the turbo working that much. But I never had a problem with a vibration in the wheel or the stearin wheel. I really don’t know what to tell you to help out. Just giving you my personal experience.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Twillo, I may have a solution for you problem. I drove a GLA 45 AMG here in Switzerland which had the same issue as you are describing. Let me try to explain what the issue was on my car. The driveshaft which connects the front drivetrain with the rear drivetrain has three shafts which are connected together, and these shafts have to perfectly balanced. The balancing process is done before the car gets to the assembly line. So when the car is in production, these shafts have be put together the same way as they were on the end of the balancing process. For this reason they also have markings. The mechanic who done the repairs on my car, explained, that one of these shafts was twisted 120 degree of the correct position (I guess there is a total of three positions 360/120). Therefore the entire shaft assembly was out of balance and this is what caused the vibrations on my car at higher speeds. Hope this helps, please let me know. Good luck and best regards George

·
Registered
9 Posts
Worst case scenario. Keep records of all attempts to fix problem, and consult a lemon law lawyer.

Hope it gets resolved quickly. GOod luck!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Although I have to say that on normal roads you probably shouldn't be driving at 70 mph. That is over almost all speed limits in the states. Still, the car shouldn't be having problems when going that fast. Let us know when you figure out what exactly went wrong.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a new one with the same problem and the dealer has already re balanced the wheels. Dealer comment was he drove one on the lot and it had the same characteristic.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bumping this up.
Bought my GLA45 AMG 4.22.15. Noticed the vibration above 70mph on the 35 mile drive home. Stopped at the dealer, 4.27.15, and made an appointment for 4.29.15. Dropped my car this morning with the dealer who assured me it "must be a tire balance issue or something with a (black AMG 20") wheel." I said it feels like a drive shaft. He continued to say it "could not be a drive shaft issue." Sadly, I was getting the "how could a female know anything" treatment.
The car has just 425 miles on it.

Anyone else experienced this and what did their dealer do?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Also posted this on another thread with no replies.

Bought my GLA45 AMG 4.22.15. Noticed the vibration above 70mph on the 35 mile drive home. Stopped at the dealer, 4.27.15, and made an appointment for 4.29.15. Dropped my car this morning with the dealer who assured me it "must be a tire balance issue or something with a (black AMG 20") wheel." I said it feels like a drive shaft. He continued to say it "could not be a drive shaft issue." Sadly, I was getting the "how could a female know anything" treatment.
The car has just 425 miles on it.

Anyone else experienced this and what did their dealer do?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts