Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Usually to increase the fuel efficiency of a vehicle you have to make sacrifices when it comes to power, but what if you could have your cake and eat it too? In fact, German tuning house VATH, has done this and then some. The VATH tuned Mercedes-Benz GLA 45 AMG has better fuel economy than the stock GLA 45 AMG, and has also had a significant boost in its power.

The stock GLA 45 AMG produce 260 HP with its 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbocharged engine. VATH has ractchetted that figure up to 395 HP, and that is just with the basic performance package. VATH also offers the V45RS kit that increases the vehicle's power to 446 HP!

Whichever kit you choose, one of the bonuses that your GLA 45 AMG will receive is a simultaneous increase in fuel economy. Just how VATH has achieved both an increase in power and an increase in fuel economy, the company isn't saying. Your guess is as good as mine.

Interestingly, Vath claims its improved the car’s fuel efficiency despite the gains in performance. While Vath hasn’t detailed just how it’s managed to extract some much power from the engine...
Other changes that are available from VATH include a stainless steel valve-controlled axle back exhaust system that costs a healthy 3,439 euros, a set of 20x9 inch wheels, and 30mm lowering springs.

Still in the works from VATH is a carbon fiber front spoiler lip, rear diffuser and trunk spoiler lip.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Tune gives more power but lower fuel consumption, eh. That makes me want to see a chart of the AFRs before I'd touch it!

·
Registered
816 Posts
The stock GLA 45 AMG produce 260 HP

I think that number is off by about 100 hp ;)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Not sure the original info. is correct. On their site, it shows stock power as 360 PS, not sure exactly what this represents but they show the stock 250 as 211 with upgrade to 245 PS, so it makes sense to me that 360 is roughly 355 HP, and then it shows upgrade HP. However here it shows the Vmax tune basically gets you nothing, then you buy the V45 custom tune to get 395PS, so I'd guess about 390HP, and 485nm torque. I can't seem to get a price, but it won't be cheap, I saw they had a rear axle back stainless exhaust for about 3500 euro, which seems crazy.

Here is their site: Mercedes Spezialist für Tuning und Oldtimer - VÄTH -*A 45 AMG

·
Registered
30 Posts
Tune gives more power but lower fuel consumption, eh.
The maker of the supercharger kit for my Wrangler claimed the same thing. +90hp and an increase in fuel economy of 1-2mpg. It even had larger injectors. While I didn't see an increase in fuel economy, it also didn't get any worse which was great. Granted, something with the aerodynamics of a brick has a lot of factors that go into the MPG number which are unchanged by engine mods, but still it is possible if the stock tune isn't great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts