Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying a new one but simply by accident I found a couple of used ones not too far from me with around 1,500 miles. Price is really good especially for one of the two. Given that they probably depreciate really fast would you guys consider getting one? My initial reaction would be that's too risky given that the motor needs to be eased in until at least 1,000 miles but I'm curious to hear what others think.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would if its a significant savings.

I don't know much about cars/mechanics but I feel the 1000miles break in period is overblown. When I leased my 2007 335i, I took it to 155mph on the autobahn. Didn't have any issues (aside from fuel pump which was specific to the 2007 models since its their first year doing the twin turbo).

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
You still have full factory warranty, so if GLA45 is what you want, go for it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yeah.

My only concern would be when to get rid of it as I always feel uneasy about owning a German vehicle like this after warranty.
It is better to lease so in a few years you know how the car goes, if you buy one, you will take a hit trading it in. Lease you can just give it back. AMG engine are very expensive to repair

·
Registered
243 Posts
I think you'll likely be fine with the used GLA45 AMG and it would be so cheap compared to buying new. Heck, it almost is brand new. Get someone to do a check of the whole vehicle to make sure everything is in tip-top condition, and then I say go for it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Any idea why they're there at all? I just posted a thread about wanting to try to get the dealer to take my 45 back. It's got a bunch of little problems that drive me crazy on a car so expensive. Sure it's fun to drive, but the issues I have aren't worth it. Maybe those 2 used ones were in similar situations. Why else would people dump them so quickly?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Sometimes people simply change their minds or they get a new job out of the state or out of the country and they had to sell the car, this is the most common reason I've seen on why a low mileage and relatively new car is being sold. There's also the losing their job all of a sudden or a financial crisis doesn't allow them to keep the car.

There are plenty of sports cars in lots that have low mileages because it is a weekend car, I was act Carmax (not sure if there is one in Canada but it is a popular and rather big company that buys and sells used cars here in the US) just last month and there was a 2 month old Corvette Stingray with 700 miles there and I was told the guy had to relocate for a job to another country.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Fair enough. I got my previous Benz due to a situation like that. Anyways I'm just saying be wary. But maybe I'm just a little bitter.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Fair enough. I got my previous Benz due to a situation like that. Anyways I'm just saying be wary. But maybe I'm just a little bitter.
It interesting the high mileage AMG Benz don't hold their value much after 3 years or hit 40k miles. The value almost drop by half of the original price.

·
Registered
470 Posts
It's usually because the warranty ends (or nearing it) and once that is gone and anything goes wrong, your wallet will be hurting.

I've had no first hand experience with Audis maintenance but between MB, Lexus and BMW, MB is also the most expensive. BMWs maintenance is free for the first 4 years, Lexus is rather cheap (oil change can be as cheap as $50) and is pretty steady at that price until you get to 50k where bigger work has to be done while Mercedes' first maintenance can easily go $200+ and it just goes up from there year after year. This is also the main reason I am considering the pre-paid maintenance especially if brakes are covered (not sure if it is).

·
Registered
694 Posts
It is better to lease so in a few years you know how the car goes, if you buy one, you will take a hit trading it in. Lease you can just give it back. AMG engine are very expensive to repair
Good point.
Freedom of choice is important especially in this situation and setting yourself up right for that freedom.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm considering buying a new one but simply by accident I found a couple of used ones not too far from me with around 1,500 miles. Price is really good especially for one of the two. Given that they probably depreciate really fast would you guys consider getting one? My initial reaction would be that's too risky given that the motor needs to be eased in until at least 1,000 miles but I'm curious to hear what others think.
Are they at a dealer? Certified? If so, what's the worry since they are under warranty.

A lease is a fools game unless you are writing it off in a business.

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
kind of an uneducated statement.
Let me help you out...

1) Do you know what a residual is?

2) Do you know how it is calculated?

3) Are you aware that a lease is a great way for someone to buy a MB on a Toyota budget? That said, nothing is free and the cost to do that is high.​

·
Registered
182 Posts
Lease vs Buy? Mac vs PC? Coke vs Pepsi? We can argue it all day, but in the end there's always going to be an option that doesn't work for someone but works perfectly for someone else. If you're going to mod your car and put on 20,000+ miles a year, then yeah...a lease is stupid. Keeping it stock and driving less than 15k? It might make sense.

·
Registered
197 Posts
You can come out ahead leasing if you flip a lot. Its isn't exactly hard to figure out nowadays when you have online calculators that you just need to give a few numbers to get a comparison. Lets face it, in terms of investment quality buying a car is below pretty much everything except booze and hookers anyways.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Nightscar is right,
I'm fortunate that I have free servicing due to my company having an agreement with MB Australia.
But, I changed the oil after 2,200 kms as I'm not comfortable between long service intervals and I track race my Car.
Maintenance is nothing when you consider just a filter and recommended oil.
And on the subject of Mercedes Benz engines breaking...
You have to be kidding..this is 2015 give MB credit when building such cars, they are well engineered.
They take into account people like myself that will do track days that will hit the rev limiter and will be changing gear
At high revs ...on the road yours be hard pressed to break anything but your driving licence.
Here In Australia the resale value is very high,.( I was offered $10k cash not to by mine..on the day) .
Some people are happy not to wait ( also mines fully kitted edition 1).
If you get a good price go for it as they are amazing vehicles.. I've never driven mine out of manual mode!
As I like control of my vehicle but in truth the AMG exhaust is addictive.
On the subject of rattles I paid extra for the AMG track suspension and yes it will get shaken but you can't have it all.
It may say SUV for the U.S. Market but it's not a Cadillac Escalade ( fortunate to have owned one).
It's a very acceptable purchase whether gla 250 or. 45
Enjoy either way..Enjoy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts