Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The used car market is going nuts right now but until you start really looking it's hard to contextualize. So when my MB dealership offered to buy my car back for the same price they sold it to me 30K miles ago I decided to take a closer look. I'm not advocating that anybody sell their car, I'm certainly not, but some of the prices I'm seeing are pretty noteworthy. Obviously the "asking prices" and the actual selling price at the point of sale are two different things HOWEVER automotive retailers aren't looking to drive away potential business with their advertised prices either. They're supposed to be competitive. I'm wondering how much longer this can last. Here are just a few examples...

'15 GLA 45 w/102K miles for $25,733
'15 GLA 45 w/107K miles for $28,886
'15 GLA 45 w/77K miles for $29,987
'15 GLA 45 w/69K miles for $32,398

·
Registered
51 Posts
Here’s a good podcast from a few months ago why that is.

Same thing is happening in the household appliance market

·
Super Moderator
870 Posts
I bought an MB 2019 SLC300 in January, and checking car sites for the same car today s up about 20% in price in 10 months.

·
Registered
462 Posts
if I only owned one car and didn't like mods, I'd sell. My car is #4 on that list and nearly what I paid. But noone would pay me that for a car with a stereo, mods, etc. Besides, gotta drive something!

These prices can land you in a porsche for not much more.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I bought my ‘17 GLA45 with 20k miles off lease in December 2019 for $42,500. It’s a high-spec, $73k MSRP. Going on two years later the ‘nice’ 2018/19’s that are low-mileage, coming off-lease, CPO, etc. seem to be about $5-7k more than this. Factor in taxes etc etc and the final purchase price is nearing in on +10k$. The kicker here is they all seem to be about low 60k MSRP too at this price point now.

There’s nothing on the market in my price range that excites me like the GLA45 except maybe the new gen CLA45 so I’m about to extend my CPO for two years and just hold onto it because I know I’ll kick myself if I get rid of it, and won’t be able to get into a high-spec one like I have without feeling like I’m going belly up.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There’s nothing on the market in my price range that excites me like the GLA45 except maybe the new gen CLA45 so I’m about to extend my CPO for two years and just hold onto it because I know I’ll kick myself if I get rid of it, and won’t be able to get into a high-spec one like I have without feeling like I’m going belly up.
That's how I'm looking at it too. I've seen the new CLA45 on the roads and it doesn't have those awkward lines of the last generation anymore. It's not as small either - big surprise - but it's not a big car yet either. I'd wait until the 420hp version of the M139 is available though.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I think we’ll be waiting on the ‘S’ version of the M139 for a while, if it ever comes. The M133 is already a solid engine, it’s pretty much 1/2 of the 4.0L V8 M177 engine. The M177 is essentially two M133’s mated to one crankshaft with bi-turbo’s inside the V creating a “hot-vee” effect.

I guess when push comes to shove, the new-gen GLA just doesn’t do it for me.. I get that we’ve already had some hard plastic inside and out but the new ones are just overdone with plastic to the point where like does it even have a painted bumper anymore? lol.. the front fake aero spots got even faker if you know what I mean..

But that’s where the new CLA comes in, it’s one of the last gen cars that didn’t get the plastic treatment and the front face is pretty much plastic free down to the front aero. It looks like a mini GT63. Just sucks that the new-gen GLA doesn’t do it to the point where I’d switch to CLA and why I think if the market continues as is the high-spec, low-mileage, off-lease gen-one GLA’s will either not be up for sale very often, or get scooped up quick. I saw a dealer around me had a 2018 off-lease with like 30k miles for $47k and it sold within a week.

·
Registered
462 Posts
mini GT63 huh

Call me when it has 2 doors and looks like a mini AMG GT. THAT would be spectacular. Like what miata wish it could be.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Haha, maybe you’re not familiar with it, but I mean the GT63 4-door not a C190 GT. The theme at MB seems to be shifting towards the entire range sharing quite a few of characteristic features. There was a time not too long ago the AMG purists were squawking at just including the ‘panamericana’ grill on anything but the big boy 63’s. Fast forward a few years and that same grill is now ‘AMG-specific’ and slapped on everything down to the 35’s, and things like sharing the face of the AMG flagship v8 car with the little 4-pot is turning into common place.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think we’ll be waiting on the ‘S’ version of the M139 for a while, if it ever comes.
We'll get out first look when the new all wheel drive 2022 C63 supposedly arrives later this year - although it'll be mounted longitudinally, running an electric turbo and mated to an electronic assisted drive train.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
I bought my ‘17 GLA45 with 20k miles off lease in December 2019 for $42,500. It’s a high-spec, $73k MSRP. Going on two years later the ‘nice’ 2018/19’s that are low-mileage, coming off-lease, CPO, etc. seem to be about $5-7k more than this. Factor in taxes etc etc and the final purchase price is nearing in on +10k$. The kicker here is they all seem to be about low 60k MSRP too at this price point now.

Huh,
My 19 has been serviced 3 times, and has <5K on the clock, bone stock

get house offers everyday, no nibbles on the 45

1 - 12 of 12 Posts