Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our GLA 250 2016 has a very annoying problem:

Every time the auto start stop restarts the engine (at the green light after being stopped at the red light), the (special) USB "cuts off" and gets interrupted, so the onboard display disconnects from the Android Auto, and can no longer find it: "No Android Auto device found" is displayed on the MB display screen.

The only workaround is to unplug the USB cable and replug it back in, then it detects Android Auto again on the phone and it re connects... (and Google Maps resumes navigation on the main MB screen).

But you can imagine how distracting and annoying and dangerous this is, while you're driving!

Has anyone encountered the same problem? Are there any solutions out there?

(Tried many new cables, various phones, laters Android auto software, etc. Nothing seems to work).

Could simply turn off the auto start stop feature but that is just silly...

Any ideas?
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,513 Posts
Auto start takes a lot of current for the starter motor. This could be creating a voltage dip if your battery is weak.

FWIW during SIP, I've been rotating my battery tender between cars but still am seeing computer glitches. Today I need to track down an air bag warning light that won't go out after the 997 battery got lower than it should have (I know, my fault).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Understood. Thanks for the heads up... I'll check the battery, although the MB guys didn't mention anything about it after the last revision last month.

·
Super Moderator
1,513 Posts
There are toaster like devices that can put a load on a battery while reading voltage. It's an easy way to check a battery's health but would not generally be a part of a visit to the shop.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yes, I encountered it many times. Typically it is a problem with the USB cable. You need a longer cable, something like 6 ft, to avoid this problem. Anytime I try the shorter cable, it will re-start the Android auto on my 2017 GLA 250. The car should come with a factory USB cable. That works for me when I was using micro USB phones. Now I'm using various longer 3rd party USB-C cables also without problem. But anytime I switched back to a short cable, this will happen.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow! Very counter-intuitive... You'd think shorter cables would be more reliable... I'm using a one plus phone with USB-C, but it's less than 6ft... I'll give that a try.. Thanks!

·
Registered
132 Posts
It is a design flaw in the radio that can't handle the power surge of the Eco Start. I think the longer cable added some delay or something that worked around this problem.

·
Super Moderator
1,513 Posts
Cables offer resistance, capacitance, and inductance. But if that makes it work it seems like something is on a razor's edge.

Regardless it's great information to have.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts