Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
in your case then, I would NOT be using the USB in the center console, and use the one under the radio (via 12v adapter).

Wayne, you and I think alike. I did exactly this in my car too. The metal bracket came from home depot for $10, the wireless Qi charger from amazon for $15 or $20 or so. The cable is routed through the dash bezel to get behind the dashboard, then it drops to behind the cigarette lighter, where I tapped the wires to install a second cigarette lighter BEHIND the dash, and added a USB charger back there. Clean lines, no exposed wires, wireless charging, and the phone is in a cradle next to the screen so I can use waze and pandora.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Lol! This is becoming a bigger deal than it needs to be. I bought a flat nylon cable and it's now perfect. I can use android auto as it was intended, integrates with my sound system, phones goes in one of the 75 cup holders up front, cable goes where it was built to go in the centre console. All is good. I recently had a courtesy c class without android auto for a few hours and it was ****. Once you taste the forbidden fruit, it's hard to go back.

·
Registered
274 Posts
This is not a bigger deal than it needs to be. I think one of the great things about 'art in engineering' is 'attention to detail'. One could say the same thing about home building, motorcycles, or any number of topics.

I think there is a certain expectation for Mercedes cars in general (but IMO not necessarily the GLA in particular, but that is just my own opinion) that the features included (no matter how small!) are well thought out and well executed. The same could be said for any luxury car.

Of course it's easier to just bang out a simple job and let the user do the finish work. That's much of what we do in the GLAs, they are cheap cars after all, Mercedes or no.

But Attention to Detail is what separates a good journeyman from a master, no matter what discipline. And worth fussing over.

In my opinion.

------------

I get your point though. When it's a person judging the attention to detail who is not a student of that discipline, that person can come off as a knob. I suspect/guess that is less than 25% of the active membership of this or any forum though.

So hold my wine and whiskey while I continue to make a mountain out of this molehill :)

21 - 23 of 23 Posts