Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
623 Posts
I agree they should have allowed for the cord and closing the lid. For my dashcam I have, it ran out near the back of the console box and then under other stuff to the windshield. It stays plugged in all the time as the USB is controlled by the switch.

·
Super Moderator
1,662 Posts
Yep, some ty strap mounting bases to route the cable to the hinge. It can exit there without harm. Then along the seat to the front. And yes, that entire unlit console is a joke. It looks like they addressed that in the 2021 model.

·
Super Moderator
352 Posts
The corner of the hand clasp is a bit better but no, not as good as had MB designed a pass-thru for the USB cord. It's the little design things I most appreciate about luxury vehicles and alas this and a few other things have let me down in the GLA. Fortunately there are many positives.

I just re-verified the routing as I annotated and it's really not bad. An Apple iPhone lightning USB cord pulls in/out with just a bit of friction and the cord's insulation is not deformed. Any thicker cord would be an issue however.
Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 6.49.50 AM.png

·
Super Moderator
1,662 Posts
My Porsche suffers the same cord problem. For years many German cars didn't have cup holders creating the joke that passengers performed that task. There is a push to driving that doesn't involve personal electronics. That's a DNA characteristic that is only evolving slowly.

·
Super Moderator
352 Posts
I don't allow beverages in my own Audi ride so no cupholders wouldn't be an issue for me. ;)

One of my favorite Seinfeld Comedians in Cars ... is when Alec Baldwin is effectively his cup-holder. 🤪

To many people these days vehicles have just become rolling electronic extensions of their home/business environments and they're therefore more concerned with a myriad of connectivity than actual driving. Ever more congested highways haven't helped either.

I guess they'll be the first to accept autonomous personal vehicles [I doubt I ever will; just not in my DNA].

·
Super Moderator
1,662 Posts
FWIW ...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Between that and the squeak it makes when you have it extend and you drive over bumps or having your elbow on it during a long drive, the console in my Subaru was 10x better then this. Was hoping for more in a Benz.

·
Registered
274 Posts
What problem are you trying to solve?

If it is just charging, I use a 12V plug to USB converter for that.

If it is for phone connectivity, and you don't need to SEE your phone, you can get a tool to help this. From China through amazon, you can get a tray that sits in the armrest box and gives you a space to set down a phone. There is a port for cables. So plug in the phone, set it neatly on the tray, close the box.

What functionality are you trying to achieve?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Agree, my USB cord has survived 2.5 yrs. it does squish it a bit, but there is a space that is better for routing.

Reactions: Huey52

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can’t believe MB didn’t think about making a small cut out or a hole to run the USB cord through! When I close the armrest, it squeezes the cord and damages it. What’s your guys thoughts on this?
I can’t believe MB didn’t think about making a small cut out or a hole to run the USB cord through! When I close the armrest, it squeezes the cord and damages it. What’s your guys thoughts on this?
Couldn’t agree more. Doesn’t say much for German Engineering. I’m constantly leaving my iPhone in the console because I forget its hidden. AARG!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree with the flat cable. I have had success with flat chords. They never get pinched and it doesn’t affect the security or wear on the latch either.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I am curious how you guys are using your phones in your car. Do you need to see the phone when it is plugged in to the center console port? is it for ease of connecting?

Honest question. I don't have car play and assume this is related to car play, because otherwise there's no benefit to doing what you guys are doing, that I can see?

·
Registered
20 Posts
My GPS locator jumps around a fair bit when I leave it in the armrest at least while I'm still in the city. so I tend to leave it out for that 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
1 Posts
I use a fabric coated cable. You can close the lid and the cable doesn't get damaged.

·
Super Moderator
1,662 Posts
I made a steel bracket with cut outs that squeezes between the display and dash. Then I added a few bends and modified a wireless charger mount to attach the phone directly so there is no vibration. It's a gear activated squeeze so I merely drop the phone into position. Charging is automatic. It's great for short or long trips.

This let's me interactively operate Waze. AA doesn't allow interaction and it is too unstable to be worth having on the OEM screen.

This way nav is where I need it with minimal eye scan and no forward sight blockage.

Power is a simple cable drop to the cigarette lighter.

Another option is to take a longer cable to the steering column, under the dash, and under the center console to enter the center glove box at the arm rest hinge.

The only problem is that, with the phone in the sun, when operating Waze with GPS subsequent over heating can cause the phone to stop charging. So I normally point the AC vent toward the phone to keep it cool.

PS: I like that flat cable!!!
20200814_181936_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
92 Posts
I made a steel bracket with cut outs that squeezes between the display and dash. Then I added a few bends and modified a wireless charger mount to attach the phone directly so there is no vibration... View attachment 25954
I need to make a mount like this. It's the ideal position for me for sure. Then I could have real-time data displayed on my phone right there, like on track days, etc. (which I haven't gotten to do yet because of this corona crap!)

Nicely done Wayne! I remember you had another thread showing that mount with detail. Very nice. (y)

·
623 Posts
I am curious how you guys are using your phones in your car. Do you need to see the phone when it is plugged into the center console port? is it for ease of connecting?
The USB can and is used for power to other devices besides phones. I use it to power my dashcam. The USB is in the car switch so when you turn on the switch it powers what every connected to the USB.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts