Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2015 GLA250 Basic does not have USB connector, can the Lighting plug be
coverted to a USB plug with an adapter?? What type if any. Like to be able to play all my music from USB Flash Drive!!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Doesn't the other end of the lightning cord plug in to a USB? They can't have just lightning-some people will still need the old iPhone connector. I think someone must make a female lightning on one end to a female USB on the other, that would allow you to convert your GLA lightning male end to a female USB. your local Apple store may have it, or search on line; could be worth a try, but I think there's more to being able to use your flashdrive than just being able to plug it in. The Media Interface item in the Premium Package is what you needed, and there is undoubtedly some electronics for reading MP3 somewhere in there, since one of the choices on the screen is USB. I note on mine that it will only play MP3, not Apple Lossless or WAV.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, Iam sorry, I located a USB connection in the middle compartment next to the lightning cord plug.It was covered ups with something I had in the compartment. So everything is fine. Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I'm glad you found it. I was surprised at the thought that there was a model without USB. I wish it played other than MP3, since I have a lot of WAV and Apple Lossless (M4a). It's a pain to convert to MP3. Got the price raise notice today from Sirius, and am planning to replace Sirius with my own stuff on USB. We like old time radio, and I found a site with about 1,000 free old shows in MP3 and free. Who needs Sirius? Now I have to find out what the Media Interface is.

·
Registered
608 Posts
According to the COMAND manual, the Media Interface is the cord in the center console that in my car has a lightning connector; it is situated just to the left of the usb port(looking forward). This allows a certain amount of advanced connectivity and function for phones and other MP3 devices. As is the custom with other MB documentation, exactly what you get is a little murky. Sometimes MB info is like they hired a Berlin lawyer to write it and a Boston lawyer to translate it. Fortunately my iPhone has the lightning connector, so I can use this for charging, if needed. I tried to pull the cord out to see if it went into a usb socket, but it didn't come, and I didn't force it. I'll try to get a closer look; there's probably a release button. I can't believe they would have an option that only allows use of Apple lightning. I think there are a lot of issues with the Media Interface concept. It would seem that you need to be constantly installing or un-installing a device, perhaps your cell phone, perhaps an ipod or ipad. You probably don't want to leave an expensive item loose in the car, and there are temperature issues. I put a 64 GB into the usb port. It has about 75 old radio shows on it, and about 50 cd's, classical, pop and jazz. This takes up about 18 GB. Also on it I have essentially everything Bach wrote, a Warner classics production, equivalent to 155 cd's, all at 320 kbps, taking up another 28 GB. I am thinking about putting the 22 US Beatles albums, another 8 or 9 GB, although that may be way more Beatles than one might want. Point is, you can put a lot of entertainment on one pretty cheap thumbdrive. Make a folder on your computer for the material you want on your thumbdrive and transfer from your computer to the thumbdrive. If anything happens to your thumbdrive, easy peesy, make a new one. It's all the stuff I used to listen to on Sirius, except I get to choose what I want. Again, the usb system doesn't like WAV or Apple Lossless files, only MP3, and maybe WMA. I have the Harman Kardon logic 7 system, and it is pretty sweet. Thinking of installing a fridge, microwave and portapotty, just hang out in the car.

·
Registered
608 Posts
The Media Interface dongle has a button where it plugs in. The socket is not a usb, but one that looks like a largish version of the old Apple socket. I plugged in my iPhone, and the Media Interface lets me play music from the iPhone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts