Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife has decided to get rid of her RX and move into a GLA. We're currently deciding whether or not to buy in the US and ship it to Germany where we are being stationed this summer, or to buy one from the MB military sales in Germany.

We're leaning towards buying here and shipping it over but we cant get a definitive answer on if the warranty will or over there or not

The only thing I found was this. At the bottom of page 12 -
http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/Digital...arts/service_warranty_information_booklet.pdf

It states:
"WARRANTY AVAILABLE: This warranty is
applicable only in the United States and
Puerto Rico. If you take your vehicle to
Canada temporarily, such as on vacation,
warranty service may be requested from
any authorized Mercedes-Benz Center.
In all other countries defects in material
and workmanship will be handled in accordance
with the terms and limitations of
a Limited Warranty of 24 months with unlimited
miles.
" (bolding mine)

So to me this says if it needs warranty work in another country it is covered by a 24month limited warranty (then, what is covered by the limited warranty?) Am I reading this right?

Has anyone run into this before?

·
Registered
816 Posts
I think your valid concerns and question are best addressed directly with Mercedes Benz.

Mercedes Benz USA
Customer Assistance Center
800.367-6372

Please share what you find out. Is an interesting issue.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Seen General Motors and some other companies have representatives that go on social media websites like this one to directly address the concerns of customers or get them the help they need, Mercedes being as big as they are of a company should look into doing this.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses! I've reached out to MBusa and they responded saying they are going to research it with their warranty dept and get back to me. I'll update when I know more.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is the response I got from MB:

"
Your patience is appreciated while we investigated your inquiry.

We have been able to confirm that as long as the vehicle is purchased through our military program, the warranty is the same as the U.S. New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Only if the vehicle was purchased in the U.S. through a dealership then exported does the world wide warranty apply.

Also, we would like to take a moment to thank you and your wife for your service to our country.

Best wishes for an enjoyable weekend and we wish you many miles of safe, pleasant driving.
"

I emailed a response asking to clarify:

"Thank you so much for researching this. So just to confirm, as long as we purchase her new Mercedes Benz from the military program (military auto source) it will have the 4yr/50k mile warranty that will be valid both in the U.S and in Europe while we are stationed there, correct?
Additionally you said "Only if the vehicle was purchased in the U.S. through a dealership then exported does the world wide warranty apply." Did you mean that if the vehicle is purchased in the U.S. through a dealership, then exported then the worldwide
warranty will NOT apply?
We will be leaving for Germany in about a month and would very much like to order her GLA to get it as soon as possible. She just wants to make sure that if, for some reason we need any warranty work done during the 3 years we're stationed there (Landstuhl) that it will be covered."

What do you guys make of it? I know that the GLA comes with the regular U.S. warranty when purchased through the military program, but they are trying to add an additional "worldwide warranty" on for $3.5k, which I know is a scam. I just want to make sure that the GLA will be covered for at least two of the 3 years we'll be there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think your valid concerns and question are best addressed directly with Mercedes Benz.

Mercedes Benz USA
Customer Assistance Center
800.367-6372

Please share what you find out. Is an interesting issue.
Seen General Motors and some other companies have representatives that go on social media websites like this one to directly address the concerns of customers or get them the help they need, Mercedes being as big as they are of a company should look into doing this.
Final followup from MB:

"Thank you for your follow up.

To confirm, as long as the vehicle is purchased through the military program it will have the 4 year/50K miles, whichever comes first, warranty. This warranty will be valid in both the U.S. and in Europe while stationed there.

Hope this clarifies our response!"

So if it is purchased in the US and shipped over it will not have the full warranty (I'm assuming thats what the "24months in other countries" means since that is the usual warranty there)

Great to finally have a concrete answer directly from MB! Now we've just gotta decide if she will be happy with the MB-tex or if she needs to upgrade to the leather seats! >:D

·
Registered
694 Posts
Awesome, couldn't be better than that from MB. Also seems like they got back to you all in good timing :D
At least we know what to expect of them with concerns like this.

·
Registered
23 Posts
have you looked into doing a euro delivery. I'm pretty sure you can with the military program. Plus it's free and you get a discount. Enjoy Germany, I loved it over there. Spent 3 years in kitzingen, although now that base is closed. Looking forward to going back end of this July.

Reactions: parker

·
Registered
184 Posts
Actually thats interesting, if you buy it in Germany does it come from a different Factory then American market trucks?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
have you looked into doing a euro delivery. I'm pretty sure you can with the military program. Plus it's free and you get a discount. Enjoy Germany, I loved it over there. Spent 3 years in kitzingen, although now that base is closed. Looking forward to going back end of this July.
Shoot me a message when you get here and we'll grab a beer! We ordered the euro delivery, so we'll get the factory tour and the tour of the car. She's excited but honestly the discount wasnt too great. I mean, it's great for what it is and the experience, but I could have probably gotten a better deal in the states....but then again, she wouldnt have gotten EXACTLY what she wants. I threw in the xenon headlights/LED tails when she wasnt looking too ;-)

Actually thats interesting, if you buy it in Germany does it come from a different Factory then American market trucks?
Should be the same factory, it's just different purchasing agents. The military program acts as sort of a "U.S. Dealer" on German soil, so we dont pay german taxes on our purchase and get a small discount (somewhere along the lines of 3-5% depending on the packages) Our factory pickup is right here in Germany, which should be a lot of fun!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just picked up our 2016 GLA250 4m from the factory and it was a blast! We got to go on a factory tour and see where/how the S class and the Maybach are made all the way down to how they weld the different types of metals. It was pretty incredibly. After that they treated us to lunch in the restaurant/lounge and when our car was ready they walked us through all the features and we hit the road. All in all a great experience!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts