Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Do you know if it is possible to replace the older monitor with the newer 7" or 8" monitor including the newly available Apple CarPlay ? Is it a software update or does the vehicle need a complete rewiring?
---
My car is a new (unfortunately 2015 model) including the audio 20 system, Harmon Kardon sound system and a really ugly 5.7" monitor.

·
Registered
816 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You might want to consider this option…not sure what you mean specifically by "really ugly 5.7" monitor" since the physical shape of even the aftermarket and 2016 OEM versions are the same other than size>>

http://www.glaowners.com/forum/electronics-audio-lighting/11778-aftermarket-navi-integration.html
I am more like thinking the original display as is sold today. I know from some sources that it would not cost a lot more than the aftermarket display/monitor you mentioned. I am only wondering if it would be plug&play or if rewiring is needed??

·
Registered
22 Posts
I went to test drive a 2016 yesterday and it DID NOT have CarPlay. It is unclear if CarPlay can be installed later or not and, of course, what the cost would be.... Anyone know? Thank you

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I went to test drive a 2016 yesterday and it DID NOT have CarPlay. It is unclear if CarPlay can be installed later or not and, of course, what the cost would be.... Anyone know? Thank you
I share your curiosity in this. If Apple CarPlay isn't available to early delivery 2016 GLAs, the more robust complementary MBrace would seem to be a semi-decent consolation prize. Did your demo model have the basic MBrace or your sales rep discuss how that worked? Probably not the highpoint of a test drive, however.

Anything else that stood out in your 2016 model demo drive? How about interior road and wind noise...noticeable?

·
Registered
143 Posts
In my opinion - not possible.
I am on the way to change my monitor now to 8" - now I have 7" but both have the same screen resolution. I will let You know if it works.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have been told very clearly (and have posted it here a couple of times) that CarPlay will be available on 2016 cars built in or after December. Now, there may be a start date in December, so maybe not from 1st Dec builds. But no cars built before then have CarPlay.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have been told very clearly (and have posted it here a couple of times) that CarPlay will be available on 2016 cars built in or after December. Now, there may be a start date in December, so maybe not from 1st Dec builds. But no cars built before then have CarPlay.

I have heard the same thing, although I am not sure it is confirmed in stone by MB. I have also heard it will start with January builds.... The question remains if CarPlay can be installed later on MY2016 vehicles currently on the ground in the US (built between September and now)...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I share your curiosity in this. If Apple CarPlay isn't available to early delivery 2016 GLAs, the more robust complementary MBrace would seem to be a semi-decent consolation prize. Did your demo model have the basic MBrace or your sales rep discuss how that worked? Probably not the highpoint of a test drive, however.

Anything else that stood out in your 2016 model demo drive? How about interior road and wind noise...noticeable?

The ride is no different than the 2015. I did not get a demo of MBrace... All I got was demo of the sunroof... in my experience sales people are not properly trained and they take no interest in what they are selling. At another dealership, when I asked about CarPlay the salesman asked me how to spell it so that he could run a search on it.... enough said... sadly, whether you shop a "high end" brand or a low end one, you have to do your own research... which is why these forums are so helpful...

·
Registered
172 Posts

After driving over 300 miles over all kinds of roads at different speeds with my 2016 GLA 250 4Matic, I can say that we experienced no interior road nor wind noise.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have heard the same thing, although I am not sure it is confirmed in stone by MB. I have also heard it will start with January builds.... The question remains if CarPlay can be installed later on MY2016 vehicles currently on the ground in the US (built between September and now)...

No retrofit possible to current, built 2016s, so I'm told. And yes, the actual start date for productions has some "flexibility"!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ok, just to confirm, I have in writing on a M-B Australia sheet entitled "GLA-Class
Specification & Manufacturer’s Recommended List Price 3 August 2015 - From 09/2015 Production"
"…
• Seat cushion length adjustment
• Smartphone integration (Apple CarPlayTM & MirrorLinkTM) from 12/15 production"

I've attached this as a .pdf file, for those interested. NB, this relates to Australian car builds, but I see no reason why it would be different in other markets. Obviously, some franchises might attempt to withhold until they have sold their 2015 cars

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've asked my dealer to look into the possibility of earlier production models to be updated to use carplay and mirrorlink as this feature if not able to be added to my early production MY16 car devalues the car a bit for me as its a feature I am greatly anticipating. I hope it would just involve a software update. Been reading up on how it works and it connects usually via a USB cable. The receiver does have to have a DIN 7x2 or double DIN 7x4 connection.

Looking at another MB form looks like the cla250 my16's are coming with it in the command menu already and they are just waiting for software update.
Got my MY16 CLA - Cocoa Brown and have some question? - Page 3

So I hope that is indeed the case.
We shall see.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I've asked my dealer to look into the possibility of earlier production models to be updated to use carplay and mirrorlink as this feature if not able to be added to my early production MY16 car devalues the car a bit for me as its a feature I am greatly anticipating. I hope it would just involve a software update. Been reading up on how it works and it connects usually via a USB cable. The receiver does have to have a DIN 7x2 or double DIN 7x4 connection.

Looking at another MB form looks like the cla250 my16's are coming with it in the command menu already and they are just waiting for software update.
Got my MY16 CLA - Cocoa Brown and have some question? - Page 3

So I hope that is indeed the case.
We shall see.
Appreciate your information here. It sounds as though Apple CarPlay won't work without the Command System from what you are suggesting. Is that how you understand it?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts