Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
https://youtu.be/a6qptNnv6rg

so, yeah, its great giggles. for awhile.

again, from the Mazdaworld

odd how the physical arangement of basic engine elements affects modding habits

on a speed, the recirculating diverter valve (vaccum operated) aka BPV as contrasted to a BOV which VTA. hehehe there is a special stickie for translations

anywhoo, its easier to change the BPV than the oil, it sticks out from even the OEM shrouds and covers, while it can hold 18ish PSI just fine.... its made of plastic and is quite silent

SO must fuxwitit

I never effed with any of the hybrid (BPV/BOV), but turbosmart was a big player in the game. I ran a Forge V1, which had a following of disparaging euphemisms like "driving the rennaisance fair around, ninja suicided on your fanbelt? etc
Every one of the lightest lifts can induce it, underthe overpass, get a lift timed with a clutch dip just right and you WILL scare the applebuds right out of anyone next to you. A similar skill is needed to keep it silent if the car next to you has pretty lights and you don't want to, ..startle them.
it gets old after awhile. The exhaust is so cool I havent felt the need to make any extra soundtrac.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...read-125044/&usg=AOvVaw3zJOi3Su_hnQKCX1XvW38G

on a technical note, this well engineered bit is essentially driven by the clear advantage of a short pathway from airfilter to intake valve. Our merc motor clearly an order of magnitude better than the DISI in that regard. the IC is essentially part of the throttle body, I truly just don't want to know how cool the rest of its intergrated because I would be tempted to improve it and we can't have that.
I would not be suprised at all if the maps for the manner in wich the clutch packs are brought in and out of engagement, are shaped based on the known charecteristics of the OEM valve. Inotherwerds do not get the ebay option here TS should be fine, also, If they make one, Synapse made an extremely quick valve. it didnt matter much on the DISI, but the M133 might well expect a quick response, and like it a great deal

·
Registered
35 Posts
on a technical note, this well engineered bit is essentially driven by the clear advantage of a short pathway from airfilter to intake valve. Our merc motor clearly an order of magnitude better than the DISI in that regard.
i got the ecu tune installed and the car is now much more fun. RE the airfilter i can clearly tell the difference between the higher flow k&n vs the stock paper but with the k&n if you lift off at higher rpm and are not really smooth with throttle input it will kind of bang a little . With the paper filter it softens it. I wonder if an aftermarket intake would solve this , or make it worse

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
i RE the airfilter i can clearly tell the difference between the higher flow k&n vs the stock paper
by this I infer you've reinstalled the OEM filter to side by side, so to speak. or are you instead recalling how it felt pre tune

with the k&n if you lift off at higher rpm and are not really smooth with throttle input it will kind of bang a little . With the paper filter it softens it
Every aspect of the vehicle is closely scrutineered with the NVH goggles

when air moves over surfaces it makes sounds, and they craft clever ways to quiet those sounds

everything from the filter to the head of the intake valve itself. " conserve flow if you must, but silent at all costs"

I wonder if an aftermarket intake would solve this , or make it worse
well, the OEM system, is just that. designed by a group that had full control over the context the filter acted within

You;ve gone and mucked about in the pond there

solve or make it worse.
well. what is it?
the sound of oxygen molecules rushing thru a convoluted pathway towards an exothermic reaction?

an Intake will likely magnify it
If tho, by "bangs a little bit" you are refering to the afterfire crackle the car is known for, and wonder if,

after having your ECU remapped,

an aftermarket intake will have as much affect on the crackle as the change in filter media did, or might in fact mitigate the change made by the filter media.

well
the inherent delta of paper vs cotton is clearly less than the delta involving the shape of the pathway post filtration.

that said,

well, I feel better now, and thats the real reason your eyeballs are here at this moment

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got the Turbosmart with vent to atmosphere and a K& N Filter.
Big difference in sound on intake from the change of filter and that big whoosh when you chop the throttle.
Not sure of much performance difference thus far however I did notice a big difference in fuel economy.......from the way I drove it...like a mongrel....

41 - 46 of 46 Posts