Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Happy holidays! I just got my ams intake in the mail yesterday. I am excited to put it on. I've been doing a lot of research and looked at the spec sites you suggested.

Really nice to know that the 2015 has the plate and the 2016 + have a bypass valve. I researched the difference and why they are necessary. I dont think I would want the sound so I'd look for a valve that can recirculate the excess. Any suggestions?

I am going to leave the stock exhaust in place for now I think. I may get an alpha dp at some point but I think the exhaust set up for the car is already great and should be able to handle a tune.

I received my tunes from eurocharged. Both stage 1 and stage 2 so I can see the difference and play a bit.

I'm looking forward for the additional stats you are going to provide on.

I'll look at your eurocharged tune tonight as well, I've been focusing in on Vividracing if I did a tune since 1) I don't want to send my ecu anywhere and 2) like the plug and play and ability to dial in 7 different modes because here in Colorado I can't get 93 octane, so I likely need to dial back the tune to keep from knocking, and I don't want much tune in any case, I'd just like the car to be right about 400 crank HP, 380 lb/ft.

But anyway, I did just finish specs on comparing 3 different filter/intakes from 2.0T vehicles. Here is what I find:

1) Stock AMG, filter is 6.5" in filter length, and 18.5" circumference, total sq/inch contact space is 120.25". Downside is the paper filtration seems excessive, it is 1.5" thick and there are 24 pleats/4" or 111 around circumference. This may keep intake noise down as well (baffle) to keep with MB desires.
2) AMS filter is 6.5" in length, and 18.5" around, with a slight neck down to 16" nearest to fender. Total contact space is 112.125". Filter is performance dry media and is only .75" thick and there are 11 pleats/4" 46 pleats around circumference. Noticeably more light gets through this filter, it is surely more free flowing. I suspect it's design also allows more air to move around the filter and still suck in and cool the ecu at the back. So the filter won't clog toward the front as quickly as the stock.

Side note, I see that the intake does have an angle at the bottom to help direct air not just right at the filter, but up and over it.

3) Final comparo: 2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP 2.0 Turbo with flat AC Delco Paper element: This filter measures 12.25x 9.25 for total sq. inches of 113.3" and is 1" thick pleats (less pleats per inch than our stock), so more free flowing as a stock paper element.

·
Registered
175 Posts
There are companies that have recirculating bypass valves, they may be electronically controlled ( think factory is 2016+) vs. vacuum which is weistec. I can't comment on noise until I install mine, I might not mind the whoosh. You should hear some added noise just with the air filter install, please update since mine won't be installed for a bit yet, it's cold even in the garage and I need to do the BOV at the same time and that requires loctite to re-secure the 3 bolts for the plate and it needs to be warmer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Spoke with eurocharged owner. He is saying that there are safety maps and turbo protection maps that many tuners ignore when tuning which lead to turbo surge. He feels if the tune is done well an BOV is not neccessary.

I may get one anyway.

He asked me specifically what fuel I'd use and what mods I have or intend to get to better customize the tune.

I installed the ams intake. Little to no audible change. I feel there is a bit more throttle response but that may be because I disconnected the battery and ecu during the installation. I haven't pushed the car to hard as its winter here and a bit on the cold side. Ams dyno dont show anything until after 45mph. Pretty easy installation once I figured out how to disconnect map sensor haha.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Previously i had a rebellion box and it was all early torque and then fell flat making driveability in corners a pita as all the power suddenly came on. With that in mind i am considering the renntech ecu flash via a handheld module because torque peak looks to be closer to 4k rather than 3k
https://www.renntechmercedes.com/index.php/products/mb/gla/gla-156/gla-45/engine-gla/ecu_156_gla_45-detail

Turbosmart makes 2 blow off valves for the 45, one recirculates back to the intake while the other recirculates at low rpm and vents to atmosphere at higher rpm. I don't want the noise so i would probably choose the former
https://www.turbosmart.com/product/kompact-shortie-plumb-back-vr03/

Now i just need to wait until i am feeling particularly impulsive so i can pull the trigger

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I have installed the stage 2 tune from eurocharged. I live in Iowa so it is a bit cold here. I am not pushing car. I drive with Michelin x ice winter tires.

After warming up the car and driving with ~36 psi in tires I tried a race start. I spun all tires and the safety mechanism kicked in and reduced power. I have read that this is normal in normal driving conditions with any tune (my stock would wheel hop a bit).

On as even of ground I could find I tried just flooring it. When dry I went like a bat out of **** with no spin, when wet I spun tires a bit.

I am interested in trying a race start at a drag strip with more grip and less psi on my tires.

I have not been to the dyno yet as I will have to travel to find one.

I will find a dyno graph of stage 2 from eurocharged so you can compare to renntech. I looked into renntech but at the time would have had to send them my ecu. Looks like they have their own obd2 flash tune now as well.

My throttle response is so so much better with tune and so far I have not experienced any turbo surge. For my own peace of mind I am going to order a recirculating bov.

I've also tested gas mileage and I have noticed little to no change with normal driving.

Peter

·
Registered
21 Posts
On as even of ground I could find I tried just flooring it. When dry I went like a bat out of **** with no spin, when wet I spun tires a bit.
Peter

Nice ! I was reading posts on the cla45 forum and stock it might be quicker with race start from a stand still but 20 to 80 or above the tuned car is faster. Is the intake noise noticeably louder with the ams? I have a k&n filter that just replaces the stock so still a narrow opening but you can totally hear the difference, i could also hear the turbo when you let off the accelerator , i guess if that's annoying you just turn up the stereo.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So I downgraded to Stage 1 tune tonight to test wheel spin both with a race start and with a normal pull. This is with an AMS intake and NO dp.

Stage 1 - + 85hp and 93 trq
Stage 2 - +100hp and 126 trq

Stage 1 pulled harder with race start with some wheel spin but not so much leads to power reduction for safety. Normal pull was hard with little to no spin

Stage 2 pulled hard but with a lot of spin. Some pulls lead to computer reduced power due to spin and sometimes it continued. Normal pull spins a bit in the first couple gears.

I am liking stage 1 at the moment for everyday driving and performance. I am excited to try stage 2 with summer tires in warm weather and maybe even at a drag strip.

Floss

·
Registered
211 Posts
are you still on contisportcontacts? Mine did VERY well in the wet until they were completely EOL.

Your tune looks odd to me. The stock pull looks very strong assuming 355 brake HP, it means you have an 3% drivetrain loss instead of an 18% drivetrain loss. Then your gain is just 30 HP, 10%. Sadly, I cannot compare my car stock, because I don't have a dyno pull with the tune turned off. But my car puts down 345 at the wheels and is flat, more or less, from 4500 to redline, so it pretty much matches your car stock. Maybe my butt dyno is off kilter (which I thought was telling me gain was to be felt), but the implication is pretty much that my tuning box is doing nothing and the gains I feel are 100% psychosomatic. On the other hand, if the internet is correct about 18% drivetrain loss, then my 345 HP translates to 420 brake HP which makes sense given the tuner box claims. Your car with the tune @ 371 WHP would be just shy of 440, which again makes sense.

But I can't wrap my head around the "stock" dyno pull, it just seems so high. Makes me really wish I was able to get a stock pull when I had my car on the dyno.

I guess I need to turn my box off to see if the car "drives like grandma" or not.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Those Michelin X-Ice’s are super soft, I run them myself. The stopping power of them is noticeably less on dry pavement compared to the OE conti’s. They get 9+/10 for winter conditions but score about 4/10 on dry pavement conditions.

Maybe hang on and wait for the warmer weather so you can test on summer tires and actually get some grip.. when you spin just remember you’re trying to race start a stage 2 tune on full fledged snow tires. Have fun!

·
Registered
444 Posts
So I downgraded to Stage 1 tune tonight to test wheel spin both with a race start and with a normal pull. This is with an AMS intake and NO dp.

Stage 1 - + 85hp and 93 trq
Stage 2 - +100hp and 126 trq

Stage 1 pulled harder with race start with some wheel spin but not so much leads to power reduction for safety. Normal pull was hard with little to no spin

Stage 2 pulled hard but with a lot of spin. Some pulls lead to computer reduced power due to spin and sometimes it continued. Normal pull spins a bit in the first couple gears.

I am liking stage 1 at the moment for everyday driving and performance. I am excited to try stage 2 with summer tires in warm weather and maybe even at a drag strip.

Floss
what the difference pats wise in stages and how do you switch from one to another?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Spoke with eurocharged owner. He is saying that there are safety maps and turbo protection maps that many tuners ignore when tuning which lead to turbo surge. He feels if the tune is done well an BOV is not neccessary.

I may get one anyway.

He asked me specifically what fuel I'd use and what mods I have or intend to get to better customize the tune.

I installed the ams intake. Little to no audible change. I feel there is a bit more throttle response but that may be because I disconnected the battery and ecu during the installation. I haven't pushed the car to hard as its winter here and a bit on the cold side. Ams dyno dont show anything until after 45mph. Pretty easy installation once I figured out how to disconnect map sensor haha.

This is good to know.:D

·
Registered
175 Posts
Previously i had a rebellion box and it was all early torque and then fell flat making driveability in corners a pita as all the power suddenly came on. With that in mind i am considering the renntech ecu flash via a handheld module because torque peak looks to be closer to 4k rather than 3k
https://www.renntechmercedes.com/index.php/products/mb/gla/gla-156/gla-45/engine-gla/ecu_156_gla_45-detail

Turbosmart makes 2 blow off valves for the 45, one recirculates back to the intake while the other recirculates at low rpm and vents to atmosphere at higher rpm. I don't want the noise so i would probably choose the former
https://www.turbosmart.com/product/kompact-shortie-plumb-back-vr03/

Now i just need to wait until i am feeling particularly impulsive so i can pull the trigger

These numbers are just so large, do you have any idea what kind of boost they have added? That is my big worry. 1) Engine not meant to handle another 3+lbs of boost and 2) concern for drivetrain with this kind of power, v8 power and torque going through 4cyl AWD drivetrain.

·
Registered
21 Posts
These numbers are just so large, do you have any idea what kind of boost they have added? That is my big worry. 1) Engine not meant to handle another 3+lbs of boost and 2) concern for drivetrain with this kind of power, v8 power and torque going through 4cyl AWD drivetrain.

Hope it don't go pop ! I thought i might want to trade in for a new one but they look gross and the current one feels about as quick as our newish gti so that won't do. Most of my driving is below 3k rpm which is unaffected by the tune so there is that. More frequent spark plug changes etc. Make sure motor is cooled down a bit before shutting it off. You only live once.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Have you done any data logging after you changed the ignition and fueling maps?

just curious

you mentioned that you reset your trims to zero during the AMS install.

Particularly in that denser than normal atmosphere you are operating in, I myself would be keeping a very sharp eye on AFR's and a careful foot as the ltft's settle

·
Registered
18 Posts
Do people really think a aftermarket intake will give them 20 or so HP without a tune? Come on now guys. Our turbo is right next to the intake manifold, the intake takes in so much heat, and increasing the diameter of the intake to take more heat in, I just personally don’t think it gives any power. I rather wait till they have a intake that is much farther from the turbo; but with our engine bay I don’t think that is possible.

·
Super Moderator
1,374 Posts
Do people really think a aftermarket intake will give them 20 or so HP without a tune? Come on now guys. Our turbo is right next to the intake manifold, the intake takes in so much heat, and increasing the diameter of the intake to take more heat in, I just personally don’t think it gives any power. I rather wait till they have a intake that is much farther from the turbo; but with our engine bay I don’t think that is possible.
I fully agree with this. The factories are pretty good these days at optimizing things within physical bounds based on warranties.

I haven't seen it in person yet but if the reports are true for the 2021, MB has flipped the motor to reduce intake length as well as isolate it from the exhaust.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Happy holidays!
Really nice to know that the 2015 has the plate and the 2016 + have a bypass valve. I researched the difference and why they are necessary. I dont think I would want the sound so I'd look for a valve that can recirculate the excess. Any suggestions?

Don't get the turbosmart. The fittings were not even the right thread pitch, i had to send it back. The weistech looks to be made specifically for the 45 so hopefully better quality.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Don't get the turbosmart. The fittings were not even the right thread pitch, i had to send it back. The weistech looks to be made specifically for the 45 so hopefully better quality.
totally disagree about turbosmart.
mine were perfect, no any issues.
C

·
Registered
21 Posts
totally disagree about turbosmart.
mine were perfect, no any issues.
C
i must have got a bad one because the nipples would only turn 2 revolutions out of 6 into the reference adaptor and the blank wouldn't fit at all. I went to the hardware store and nothing metric or sae would fit , bad machining i guess

21 - 40 of 44 Posts