Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I have a 2015 stock gla 45 that just went out of warranty so I want to tune it. I have considered:

Stage 1 with our without weistec intake (5")
Stage 2 with stock exhaust
Stage 2 with race cat maybe from ams or eurocharged catless race cat.

I've been talking with eurocharged and they have convinced me the stock exhaust is great as is and a stage 2 tune is perfect for the car as is. They also dont think any modifications are necessary for the intake. I dont want to melt the cat and wanted to see if anyone had experience with this.

Peter

·
Registered
135 Posts
I don't have experience with tuning a GLA45 but do have on a number of other vehicles. From what I can see of the 45's spec's I would agree that the stock intake and exhaust are adequate. I would however consider a high-flow Cat. I also think it prudent to start with Stage 1, which is significant, and let things settle out for awhile before you consider Stage 2. The latter may ultimately require an uprated intercooler, etc.

·
Registered
175 Posts
What are your plans for your vehicle, any racing or just power increase around town?

If the latter, I would disagree with the assessment that the intake is adequate. My plan, since I now have in my hands for Xmas, is to install the AMS high flow air intake (not the full blow they offer, just get the high flow filter and mount). This should net you up to 20hp (about the same torque gain). You gain this as speed increases and air flow demand to turbo is most helpful to maximize power (see their power curve vs. speed on their site). Starting with this is least expensive, most potential power for buck without going crazy, and won't be an issue with emissions if you are in a state where you need to pass. Also, this add will just work all the better with any increases you get with a tune you decide to do later.

From my understanding, minor tunes you would not need exhaust upgrades, which would be my plan if I ever bought a plug and play tune like from Vivid Racing (not pulling my ECU and sending somewhere for a flash).

Also consider a blow off valve since our '15's don't have them and they are needed. I won't get into why that is important here, but doing some research should make it obvious.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do want to upgrade my intake. I was thinking the weistec filter and mount as it had a 5" opening as compared to ams 4" and stock 2.5". I think it is a nice compliment to stage 1.

I have considered a high flow cat. Considered alpha dp for 1500 but it's a heafty pricetag and eurocharged owner said a lot of the race cats fail after a few years so to stick with stock.

As for a race catless dp I am more worried with increased noise and smell. I have no emissions restrictions here in iowa.

I have researched blow off valves a bit but what I read is they release all the pressure and make it more difficult for turbo to spool.

I am using this as a daily. I am a spirited driver. At some point I will want to take it to the track (drag or circle) for a bit of fun.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have researched blow off valves a bit but what I read is they release all the pressure and make it more difficult for turbo to spool. .

i had a piggy back on for a few weeks. The increased chirping noise when you let off the throttle did not sound healthy, i would research wether you need a blow off valve or not. I wanted increased top end with more urgency toward red line , but it just put a huge chunk of torque right around 3k and it made it hard to drive smoothly, so i went back to stock

·
Registered
135 Posts
There's always an argument to be made for and against blow-off valves. The Benz recirculation design is quite good so I'm in the keep it stock camp on this one (as I did on my similarly designed Audi).

I have researched blow off valves a bit but what I read is they release all the pressure and make it more difficult for turbo to spool.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea eurocharged tuner said I could add a blow off valve if I liked the noise.

I may try stage 2 with upgraded intake and stock exhaust. I was thinking about wrapping my dp with heat shielding tape. Any suggestions for that?

·
Registered
175 Posts
There's always an argument to be made for and against blow-off valves. The Benz recirculation design is quite good so I'm in the keep it stock camp on this one (as I did on my similarly designed Audi).

Stock on a '15 is no BOV. AMG remedied this the year after, though there system is simply meant to be 1) quiet, and 2) not actually blow off from my understanding, but recirculate so no blow off of emissions. But they realized that a BOV was needed. Which is why weistec and others are popular as they truly dump the pressure and allow the turbo to start a re-spool more easily. Right now if I let off the gas my pressure has no where to go, so it's said to impede the turbo re-spool. I guess I look at it this way....the turbo generated the added psi and what might be left is perhaps not needed since I'm off throttle. Now I get back in it, and there is still pressure and this may impede what the turbo can deliver new, I think Weistec may have called this cavitation.

Whether my understanding is correct or not, I think pretty much all turbo cars these days with any significant boost have a Anti-Surge Valve (aka BOV) to remove this unneeded pressure. The BOV's are popular I guess for the pressure release noise you hear due to atmospheric release. Not removing this pressure is said to be harmful long term to the turbo, and as mentioned impedes performance of "back in gas" events.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I do want to upgrade my intake. I was thinking the weistec filter and mount as it had a 5" opening as compared to ams 4" and stock 2.5". I think it is a nice compliment to stage 1.

I have considered a high flow cat. Considered alpha dp for 1500 but it's a heafty pricetag and eurocharged owner said a lot of the race cats fail after a few years so to stick with stock.

As for a race catless dp I am more worried with increased noise and smell. I have no emissions restrictions here in iowa.

I am using this as a daily. I am a spirited driver. At some point I will want to take it to the track (drag or circle) for a bit of fun.

I considered this as well. 1) I would suggest you find out if there filter is oiled or not. It does not say on their site, AMS is dry media. 2) AMS is slightly smaller, but still quite a bit larger than stock. I wanted non-paper, reusable media, but also a filter that still had decent wall thickness to trap contaminants, it's job. If you look at the pictures back and forth, I like how the AMS mounts better, it's more in front of the intake and not so massive, seems to allow good flow to the ECM aluminum cooling fins, and 3) states slightly more power increase with a graph. 4) finally AMS offers a replacement filter for $89, Weistec does not seem to offer this, in case you have an issue and need a replacement.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So to be clear the 15 gla 45 does not recirculate excess pressure? I didn't think any m133 engine had a bov system. If this is true maybe I'll consider it.

As for the filter I will look into the ams filter. I want it to filter (its job) while providing good flow and I most definitely want the ecu to be cooled.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shakdofax, where do you find detailed info about differences such as Bov or similar 15 vs 16. That's the stuff I wished I'd known before purchasing.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Yea eurocharged tuner said I could add a blow off valve if I liked the noise.

I may try stage 2 with upgraded intake and stock exhaust. I was thinking about wrapping my dp with heat shielding tape. Any suggestions for that?
Its free horsepower, as retaining the energy in the gas maintains its velocity.

up to the point that the metallurgy of the tubing, grows uncomfortable with its new hostile working environment and files with HR

·
Super Moderator
1,374 Posts
Its free horsepower, as retaining the energy in the gas maintains its velocity.

up to the point that the metallurgy of the tubing, grows uncomfortable with its new hostile working environment and files with HR[/QUOTE]

Nicely put!!!!!!

·
Registered
175 Posts
So to be clear the 15 gla 45 does not recirculate excess pressure? I didn't think any m133 engine had a bov system. If this is true maybe I'll consider it.

As for the filter I will look into the ams filter. I want it to filter (its job) while providing good flow and I most definitely want the ecu to be cooled.

Yes, just look at pictures, you need to research. I guess I know what I'm looking for, but you can too if you spend some time looking at how this car works, look at pics, download their install manuals and read them (example, one pic, this shows you the plate cap-off on the turbo where the later versions do have a recirculate, but a 2015 has NOTHING). I'm not dissing you, please don't misunderstand, I am mechanically well-versed, but newer vehicles like these I am lesser so, except that what brought me to this vehicle in part is the massive power from the 2.0.....we have a 2.0T in a Pontiac Solstice coupe (collectible) that produces 290HP and 325lbft from back in 2009, and I marveled at how much power a sewing machine motor can produce, coming from v8 4WD's. When the CLA 45 came out, I thought....if only they made a hatchback/suv version, and then there was one. I had to have it, after it came off lease for only $36k, the 2015 was mine with light usage of 18k. Now I have a serious toy to play with, everything I want.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Shakdofax, where do you find detailed info about differences such as Bov or similar 15 vs 16. That's the stuff I wished I'd known before purchasing.

Detailed info. comes from everywhere on the internet, why I love it and will be a searching fool until the day I die. The info. you receive has to be considered, not rushed into, especially if someone is wanting your money.

First, MB site (AMG) has plenty of details to get you knowledgeable about your vehicle. As an example, have you seriously looked at the 7spd speedshift Dual Clutch Transmission pics they show? I know what I'm looking at. Start trying to understand and ask questions. People have dissed this tranny, likely because they have NO idea it's basically a manual tranny without a clutch, an automatic manual that can shift very fast.

Start poking around under your hood. Don't mess with things you don't understand, I'm just saying, get a lay of the land and ask questions here, post a pic of something you are wondering about.

I'm very "competitor conscious" so I like to know what is out there and what they really have, vs. just sinister look. There are sites that can help you with that:

https://www.automobile-catalog.com/car/2015/2025950/mercedes-benz_gla_45_amg.html

You can change cars with this and it's super detailed, I was recently looking at the Audi RS hatch (still not sold in US) HP/TQ ratings but also gear ratios through first 4 gears to see what advantage it may have had in beating our 45 in the quarter (other than it's a 5 cylinder with nearly 400HP and about the same weight).

Google what you might be looking for, sometimes the words are everything, BOV, blow off valve, is also called Anti Surge Valve, so you need to work it.:D

·
Registered
175 Posts

2015 has no BOV, you can see the plate over ours on the turbo. 2016 later has MB factory recirculating system, not Blow Off Valve , so you get no cool noise if you want that.

Tomorrow I am going to give some more specs on intake since I have my AMS filter with me now. This should help you think about why bigger is only better to a point. We are starting at 2.6" and in my mind the paper filter air drag and paper wall thickness of it is key (and pleats per inch), I'll put my perspective on square inch flow of filters, talk a bit about the actual cold air intake and why it's good but why it can only pull so much air, and finally, once the air is in the box, through the filter, it still comes down to about a 2" intake to the turbo.

·
Registered
175 Posts
And HAPPY HOLIDAYS everyone!!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Happy holidays! I just got my ams intake in the mail yesterday. I am excited to put it on. I've been doing a lot of research and looked at the spec sites you suggested.

Really nice to know that the 2015 has the plate and the 2016 + have a bypass valve. I researched the difference and why they are necessary. I dont think I would want the sound so I'd look for a valve that can recirculate the excess. Any suggestions?

I am going to leave the stock exhaust in place for now I think. I may get an alpha dp at some point but I think the exhaust set up for the car is already great and should be able to handle a tune.

I received my tunes from eurocharged. Both stage 1 and stage 2 so I can see the difference and play a bit.

I'm looking forward for the additional stats you are going to provide on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I did not. They sent me a "MY GENIE" and it copies your ecu info. You send the file via email to eurocharged and then they use it to create your tune file. They send it to you via email and you download on your my genie and use your obd sensor to flash it to your car.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts