Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Sunday evening is good too ?

After working for over 50 years (too many 100 plus hour weeks to count and probably no less than 250 all nighters on time desperate projects) I had to cut back gradually. Went to four days a week for a couple of months, then 3, 2, 1, and now to consulting one day a week at my leisure. I might have gone crazy if I went cold turkey.

I was worried whether I'd adapt or not but grandkids, drives, house remodeling, furniture building, landscaping, fixing friends' cars, and a myriad of projects and activities should keep me safe for a few months ... I'm hoping!!!

As a warning to those still on the path ... plan forward. My work life kind of went by in the blink of an eye. We've been fortunate to get to where we are. Definitely lucky!!!

At some point we plan to do a random blue highway drive about and catch up with old friends and meet Forum buddies.

In the meantime ... mussels clinging to rocks during a low tide, and time to flush brake fluid on a couple of cars. Hmmmm ... can't post the second shot of the 45 on the lift ... sorry.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
922 Posts
Remodeling two of my kid's homes and now mine have occupied my first three years of retirement. And of course automotive maintenance. Having the time to really do a perfect job no matter how small the project is one of my upsides to retirement. During similar long workweeks and deadlines I always felt rushed when doing other tasks.
Visiting/being visited by grandkids is a blessing as well. We're fortunate indeed!

·
Super Moderator
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Remodeling two of my kid's homes and now mine have occupied my first three years of retirement. And of course automotive maintenance. Having the time to really do a perfect job no matter how small the project is one of my upsides to retirement. During similar long workweeks and deadlines I always felt rushed when doing other tasks.
Visiting/being visited by grandkids is a blessing as well. We're fortunate indeed!
You hit the nail on the head ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
The worst thing I'm finding about being newly about being retired: no paid holidays. :)

The GLA was a retirement gift in order to get a new, more reliable car since we were planning some road trips. We live in Southern California and in the last two years have made road trips to Carmel-Santa Barbara-Pismo Beach, CA wine country (Napa, Sonoma, Mendocino), OR (to see the eclipse and drive the coast some), and Southwest (AZ, NM, OK, TX).

We've found the GLA to be the perfect size for two for short or long trips, and found a way to fit four suitcases in the area under the rear deck lid when it is closed (see pic)....I guess that's the engineer in me. :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Turbolink, A week is 6 Saturdays and a Sunday. I do not buy green bananas as that is mean you are planning ahead.

Reactions: turbolink

·
Super Moderator
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I recall the GLA was originally marketed to a younger group, but after 3-1/2 years on this forum I'm convinced it's us older guys that treasure it. /forum/images/GLAOwners_2014/smilies/tango_face_wink.png

The thing about retirement...every day is Saturday or Sunday.
Three years ago as we were negotiating our purchase I made the argument to our dealer (who wanted to bump us up to a non AMG GLC) that they had their marketing wrong. IMHO ... The GLA is perfect for empty nesters while the GLC is perfect for younger enthusiasts with potential for a growing family. The sales agent got it and we stayed on focus with the GLA.

Whatever, it is a great car for two. We had taken several multi thousand miles trips in the 997 Porsche, even with the pup. But the GLA is much nicer. Especially when traveling heavy with presents.

As for the 45, I'm glad MB handed a project to AMG to make a car no sane auto maker would even think about ?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Three years ago as we were negotiating our purchase I made the argument to our dealer (who wanted to bump us up to a non AMG GLC) that they had their marketing wrong. IMHO ... The GLA is perfect for empty nesters while the GLC is perfect for younger enthusiasts with potential for a growing family. The sales agent got it and we stayed on focus with the GLA.

Whatever, it is a great car for two. We had taken several multi thousand miles trips in the 997 Porsche, even with the pup. But the GLA is much nicer. Especially when traveling heavy with presents.

As for the 45, I'm glad MB handed a project to AMG to make a car no sane auto maker would even think about ?

Yes indeed. I'm so happy with my purchase. I thought about this over 3 yrs. ago, buying one off lease since I didn't want to pay the new price. Every time I drive it, I have to be careful, it brings out the boy in me, I want to GOOOOOO. If I can keep control of my need for speed, all the other vehicle aspects also shine....AWD (need in Colorado), fold down seats for 44 cu/ft storage, good headroom/accommodation for 4 (though that's rare for me), nice comfort/feel inside, 25mpg avg.

I have a few short years to go, but the light is at the end of the tunnel. The mortgage is done though now, last payment Dec. '18.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Love New Year's trips! I enjoyed Paris for New Year. I plan to go again this year. The fireworks at the Arc di Triumph are really fun (if they're still doing them). Lots of good dinner specials around the Champs-Élysées for NYE as well. The only downside might be getting back to your place if it's not walkable from there, but there are still some really reasonable AirBnBs around the 8th arrondissement taking reservations for NYE as of last week. I went with dbauskunft.com instead of driving there myself, but maybe this year I'll go with the road trip idea.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts