Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm thinking of buying a GLA 45, but the throttle response delay from a standing start was just horrible. Does the throttle box unit completely eradicate that problem, and give you the throttle response, of say, an NA car?

Dunno cassiusamg
I have the Rebellion tune and that fixes that problem, The car is great now without being radical at all driving around town
I believe the car is dangerous the way it is set up in the standard form

·
Registered
470 Posts
It's weird because I drove the CLA250 for a week and that car is more than willing to move from a stand still by simply putting your feet off the brake pedal including reverse and I was really surprised.

In the GLA45, you take your put off the brake pedal and it barely moves froward and when even more noticeable when reversing, it doesn't move until a few second after you takes your foot of the brake when it very, very slowly crawls back. It couldn't be the weight difference as the GLA is only about 30-50 lbs heavier?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Is the parking brake engaged when this delay occurs? The GLA has a feature where the parking brake will automatically disengage when throttle is applied, but it does sometimes take a moment.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Definitely not, i've gotten to a habit of pulling the brake off immediately.

Plus it also happens at a stoplight.

With everything said, I do believe this is normal because several reviews I've read and watched has the same complaint. Question is my MB made it this way and why not make an easy fix when an easy software upgrade will solve the problem?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Definitely not, i've gotten to a habit of pulling the brake off immediately.

Plus it also happens at a stoplight.

With everything said, I do believe this is normal because several reviews I've read and watched has the same complaint. Question is my MB made it this way and why not make an easy fix when an easy software upgrade will solve the problem?
Yep, most of the car journo's complain about reverse and 1st gear. I never got to try reverse on my test drive. The transmission is almost as bad as Audi's old CVT transmission, eek.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If the GLA 45 had something like the PDK or even the S tronic transmission, the car would be close to perfect. There's only a hint of turbo lag, suspension is nice and firm, just how i like it, and the steering feel and weight is up there with the Porsche 911 991. It's a crying shame

·
Registered
132 Posts
If the GLA 45 had something like the PDK or even the S tronic transmission, the car would be close to perfect. There's only a hint of turbo lag, suspension is nice and firm, just how i like it, and the steering feel and weight is up there with the Porsche 911 991. It's a crying shame

Try this mate

Throttle Response System for the A/CLA/GLA 45 AMG

TRS (Throttle Response System) for A/CLA/GLA 45 AMG cars.

This is a plug and play system that dramatically increases throttle response by modifying the signal between your accelerator pedal and ECU.
The system features 3-way map switching at the press of a button to include stock, sport and 'REBELLION' modes.

This system will work with stock vehicles and also complement any vehicle already running a tuning system to give a more dynamic driving experience.

store.rebellionautomotive.co.uk/throttle-response-system-for-the-a-cla-gl...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Have you installed the throttle response system yourself? How complicated was the job? And how seamless is the performance enhancement to the current slow shifting?
Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is the parking brake engaged when this delay occurs? The GLA has a feature where the parking brake will automatically disengage when throttle is applied, but it does sometimes take a moment.
This morning I accidentally fat fingered the parking brake button when rolling backward out of my driveway... was attempting to press the manual button (which is RIGHT BESIDE the parking brake button!!!) in preparation for when I started going forward. Car of course came to a jarring halt, while it didn't stall, it sounded like it didn't quite disengage as nice as it should have (cant really describe it any other way). Luckily I was rolling backward at about half a walking pace, no gas applied. So watch out for this!!! Hopefully there's some kind of fail safe that you cant just engage the parking brake while moving, but maybe I was going too slow for that system to recognize and it locked anyway? Anybody else have this happen?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Air Guitar Champion, I think you mean Park button not Parking Brake which is on the lower dash. But yes I had the same thing happen when my dog stepped on the Park button while I was backing up and the car came to a violent stop. I actually thought I hit another car it was so violent. So it does need to be watched out for and I don't know if it would do the same thing going forward?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Air Guitar Champion, I think you mean Park button not Parking Brake which is on the lower dash. But yes I had the same thing happen when my dog stepped on the Park button while I was backing up and the car came to a violent stop. I actually thought I hit another car it was so violent. So it does need to be watched out for and I don't know if it would do the same thing going forward?
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
As some others have noted either in this thread or another one, don't forget opening the door while in Drive or Reverse also throws the transmission into Park...very abruptly. I've been known to open the door while rolling to see how close I am to the curb or lane line when parking, and learned not to do that the hard way. I just hope I remember that from now on! I can only imagine the kind of damage that could come from that.

·
Registered
189 Posts
As some others have noted either in this thread or another one, don't forget opening the door while in Drive or Reverse also throws the transmission into Park...very abruptly. I've been known to open the door while rolling to see how close I am to the curb or lane line when parking, and learned not to do that the hard way. I just hope I remember that from now on! I can only imagine the kind of damage that could come from that.
Are you sure? I could swear that I opened and closed the driver's door at 40MPH without incident.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I'm sure. If you really did, somebody managed to disable that feature or it's over-ridden above maybe 6 MPH like some other things. You'll also find that covered in the owner's manual or perhaps the digital version, if I recall correctly...I've definitely seen it discussed. Not sure why you were opening a door at 40 MPH, however. I for one do not wish to replace my transmission, so I'll take your word for it. :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Are you sure? I could swear that I opened and closed the driver's door at 40MPH without incident.
I was wrong, and apologize as my recollection is clearly wrong. I just tried stopped in the garage and opening the drivers's door the tranny switches to P. Stupid! Really stupid!

Re opening a door at speed... one may want to open and close a door that is not closed all the way.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have verified that stopped or rolling at low speed the tranny will engage P if the driver's door is open and this is indeed in the Owners Manual (see below). The reason for that escapes me. I suspect though that at higher speeds opening the driver's door will not engage P; I am inquiring about this and will report back when I learn the full details.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Gents, I think I know why we see all these tranny Issues

Its the selector knob

Since there is no interlock in the design.
Like there is as a standard of practice on the equivalent mechanism from my experience

How many times have you tapped/bumped/nudged the pos outta drive. Go ahead, take a sec. count em up

just bumped into neutral Inadvertently.

Now then, since there is absolutlely nuthing but common sense preventing a good smart go into reverse.,a plethora of ways that can happen pop to mind,:

step smartly on the brake pedal, beverage slips forward,
passenger moves lever inadvertently...... I'll quit here, I am certain each of you have both imaginations, and stories to add

Someone more learned in the litiguous arts than I ( MS3SM ) miss you man
might word the problem from the "hazard to other users of the road" perspective, and force a recall and retro fitment of some adequate method to prevent inadverdent motion to reverse

Thank You all for giving this a moment of thought. my dog has kicked me out of gear a half dozen times,in 2 k Im trying to use a rubbermaid to shield the **** pretty knob

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
I'm sure. If you really did, somebody managed to disable that feature or it's over-ridden above maybe 6 MPH like some other things. You'll also find that covered in the owner's manual or perhaps the digital version, if I recall correctly...I've definitely seen it discussed. Not sure why you were opening a door at 40 MPH, however. I for one do not wish to replace my transmission, so I'll take your word for it. :)
gla250.jpg
gla250.jpg
gla250.jpg

Just to beat it to death,I think any real complaints/suggestions need to be made while being aware of the fact that the representative thinks you are talking about this car 95% of all GLA's look like this, its all they know

·
Super Moderator
1,505 Posts
One of the (many) reasons I opted for the 45.

Going into neutral is possible at and time but the brake must be adequately depressed to select reverse.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts