Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if others have noticed this, but I find very little difference on transmission shift point between comfort and and sport mode. I find this annoying because it is always in too high a gear around town and lugging. I wish it would hold lower gears longer and not go to as high a gear at lower speeds. I get that 1st is an off the line gear but 3rd and 4th would be nice around town.

There is hope though and that's were you all come in. I was at the dealer yesterday and I asked the writer about this. He said, yes that's how they are and there is no way to change it. But, he said Mercedes listens to their customers and if enough people complain they could possibly do a software update to change this.

So, if any of you are annoyed by driving around at 1500 rpm in town, let the dealers know and maybe we could get an update.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
Does the sport mode shift point depend on how you drive? Does it shift later in the RPM range if you really push it?

Here's why I ask. My Porsche has a Tiptronic. If I drive it easy, it shifts at relatively low RPMs. But if I really get on it, it very quickly "learns" or remaps the shift point. For example, if I drive it easy from a stop light, shift point is generally 2000 RPM, but if I floor it from a stop, shift point is 6800 RPM. If I drive it hard from 1 to 3, then back off it will hold around 3500 RPM, then when it senses I'm done finally shift into 4. It will keep that high shift point through several lights until it re-maps back to low RPM shifts.

Maybe try hammering in sport mode to see.

·
Registered
246 Posts
if you HAMMER it, it will hold the revs. Quick shifting in either mode is a function of fuel economy regulations, always on the hunt for lower revs...

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
If the engine is still 'cold,' the Sport mode will fight against you. It is a protection from holding high rpm's for a longer period while cold.

The Sport mode also is a learning setting. It will eventually cater to your driving style.

If you aren't satisfied with the shift points, I suggest using manual mode. That's pretty much all I use after the engine warms.

Rebellion tuning in the UK has a TCU tune for the CLA250/GLA250 platform as well.

First gear is terrible, I will definitely agree there ;)

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Yup, that's the problem with cold engines, have to make sure it's warmed up enough, then put it through it's paces :D

And the one annoying caveat to it all is that the GLA can take awhile to warm up on these really cold days.

To the OP, you'll enjoy Sport mode once you get a chance to try it out when the car is warmed up, it's not too bad. I enjoy using the paddles more, but it is a useful setting when you don't want to work them.

I'll probably be the guinea pig for the TCU tuning, so keep checking in here!>:D

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have the TMC Autoflash TCU tune on order, along with their ECU piggyback. The Autoflash is 399 GBP + shipping, but they gave me both for $1048 shipped. Will install both after engine break-in and report back - I took advantage of the strong USD instead of waiting a month or two.

A few CLA owners seem to be really thrilled with this combo. Looking forward to it!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have found that the sport mode really wakes up the GLA. The normal mode isn't too bad and at times surprises me. I'm not a paddle shifter guy, but will try them more when the weather warms up and I can get out on the curvy back roads.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have found that the sport mode really wakes up the GLA. The normal mode isn't too bad and at times surprises me. I'm not a paddle shifter guy, but will try them more when the weather warms up and I can get out on the curvy back roads.
How is it on the low end? Is it far more responsive?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Just for clarity, the TCU mapping issue noted in this thread is specific to the GLA250? I am curious what those with the GLA45 think of the tranny mapping as delivered??

·
Registered
144 Posts
The mapping was fine for me i just didn't like the slow throttle response that created a lag before power came on. I got the rebellion throttle box and the ecu. I didn't like the ecu as it created too much power abruptly at 3k rpm and then the turbo started making a louder noise coming off the throttle so i sold it. The throttle box though is perfect as the car is far more responsive when you want it to be or turn it off and it is as stock and good for C mode.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Just for clarity, the TCU mapping issue noted in this thread is specific to the GLA250? I am curious what those with the GLA45 think of the tranny mapping as delivered??
I've driven the GLA45 a few times, and first gear is just as useless as on the GLA250. It tends to be just as finicky when first driven, then slowly adapts.

The most redeeming factor of the GLA45's transmission is the fuel burnoff 'brap!' you get from the exhaust when upshifting >:D

·
Registered
84 Posts
The mapping was fine for me i just didn't like the slow throttle response that created a lag before power came on. I got the rebellion throttle box and the ecu. I didn't like the ecu as it created too much power abruptly at 3k rpm and then the turbo started making a louder noise coming off the throttle so i sold it. The throttle box though is perfect as the car is far more responsive when you want it to be or turn it off and it is as stock and good for C mode.
Strange thing to complain that it was too powerful with the tuning box :p

Reactions: caug

·
Registered
144 Posts
Strange thing to complain that it was too powerful with the tuning box :p
I liked the power, it was just a pain in the but to live with, right around 2800 rpms it hits like a sledge hammer and i ended up short shifting around it which is lame or punching it to clear that area to get smooth drive.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The GLA45 ECU is the same setting as CLA45. It is widely agreed by the CLA45 drivers the S is still too conservative. There is a need for an S+ mode which almost all other sporty cars have. For an AMG not to have S+ is a shame. It may be to get a better mpg rating.

You can use paddles to downshift and hold gears in C and S modes, but it is only temporary.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I thought MB updated the shift points of the GLA45 and it is suppose to be faster than that of the CLA45?

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
I liked the power, it was just a pain in the but to live with, right around 2800 rpms it hits like a sledge hammer and i ended up short shifting around it which is lame or punching it to clear that area to get smooth drive.
Go for the Carlsson unit! I love it!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I thought MB updated the shift points of the GLA45 and it is suppose to be faster than that of the CLA45?
According to resident AMG Private Lounge moderator, the software in the A45, CLA45 and GLA45 are identical. If the GLA45 uses an updated software, so is CLA45.

If one has an earlier version of the CLA45, he might not have had the chance to update the software by a dealer yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm thinking of buying a GLA 45, but the throttle response delay from a standing start was just horrible. Does the throttle box unit completely eradicate that problem, and give you the throttle response, of say, an NA car?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts