Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have got a problem with my gla220 4 matic-Auto, the EML Light is on with transmission malfunction in white font on the message when I start the car however messages goes after a while but EML remains on all the way. Car drives normally no issue with the drive of the vehicle, gear changes fine however when slowing and coming to a stop sometimes take a while to go from gear 2 down to 1 and then car makes a noise which you can feel in the car. Really unsure what problem I have with my vehicle. Car ran through diagnostic mentioned gearbox oil sensor- dealership updated gearbox software however same issue is there.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Try a reset of the transmission.
What does it do? in a nutshell, it resets the ECU/TCU's learned detection of throttle inputs, effectively re-establishing the 0% and 100% pedal travel positions. , ie. quick rabbit starts as opposed to slow takeoffs. it gets used to how you drive.

If you want instant throttle response, you can have it for free.
With the engine off, turn the key to position 2 (don't start it.) or depress the start button twice that all the dash lights come on. Do not have your foot on the brake pedal.
Press the throttle pedal all the way to the floor past the kick-down click.
Hold it down for about 30 seconds.
Take your foot off the pedal and take the key out. or hit the start/stop button to turn off everything.
Wait 5 seconds, and start the car.
I bet you notice the change in response immediately.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

I have got a problem with my gla220 4 matic-Auto, the EML Light is on with transmission malfunction in white font on the message when I start the car however messages goes after a while but EML remains on all the way. Car drives normally no issue with the drive of the vehicle, gear changes fine however when slowing and coming to a stop sometimes take a while to go from gear 2 down to 1 and then car makes a noise which you can feel in the car. Really unsure what problem I have with my vehicle. Car ran through diagnostic mentioned gearbox oil sensor- dealership updated gearbox software however same issue is there.
Thanks
Hello, did you manage to fix your problem? I have the same error with the same symptoms on a Infiniti Q30S (7gtronic awd) (built on a GLA chasis) and been diagnosed with the p0711 code (Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor "A" Circuit Range/Performance) and been told that sensor which is part of mechatronic can't be replaced and needs a new mechatronic unit that contains all these solenoids. They haven't had a look at it to try maybe restore or clean something inside. Recently i've seen a message that the 4WD system is currently unavailable which went away along with the Transmission Malfunction message. Also my battery is relatively old, could it be the battery causing these problems? The car drives and pulls absolutely fine. Changes are smooth and currently entering the 2nd month having this message and 1000+ miles driving with it. Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
895 Posts
Yes, it could be the 12V main battery. The extensively used automotive electronics these days are very susceptible to less than optimal-smooth power flow.

And don't forget the Aux battery as that has been troublesome for many, although that small 12V Li-ion one is mostly used for engine auto start/stop.

Replacing the battery(s) is a relatively less expensive first step in troubleshooting, especially as yours as you cite is "relatively old."

What model year is your Q30S AWD btw?
Hello, did you manage to fix your problem? I have the same error with the same symptoms on a Infiniti Q30S (7gtronic awd) (built on a GLA chasis) and been diagnosed with the p0711 code (Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor "A" Circuit Range/Performance) and been told that sensor which is part of mechatronic can't be replaced and needs a new mechatronic unit that contains all these solenoids. They haven't had a look at it to try maybe restore or clean something inside. Recently i've seen a message that the 4WD system is currently unavailable which went away along with the Transmission Malfunction message. Also my battery is relatively old, could it be the battery causing these problems? The car drives and pulls absolutely fine. Changes are smooth and currently entering the 2nd month having this message and 1000+ miles driving with it. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, it could be the 12V main battery. The extensively used automotive electronics these days are very susceptible to less than optimal-smooth power flow.

And don't forget the Aux battery as that has been troublesome for many, although that small 12V Li-ion one is mostly used for engine auto start/stop.

Replacing the battery(s) is a relatively less expensive first step in troubleshooting, especially as yours as you cite is "relatively old."

What model year is your Q30S AWD btw?
Thanks for the quick reply! It does indeed look like I could benefit from a battery replacement. Do these need to be coded or can I just stick it in myself? My Q30S is 2016 and I've had it for exactly a year. I don't think it ever had the battery replaced.

·
Super Moderator
895 Posts
Although modern VWAG batteries do need to be "coded" thus far Benz has not required same.

Rule of thumb on a 12V lead-acid is no more than 7 years (although some have had for longer) so you're ~in the replacement zone anyway (as who knows how long your battery sat in vendor storage prior to vehicle assembly). And again it should eliminate a troubleshooting variable.

All the best!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts