Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called dealership I purchased vehicle from to ask if they could install a trailer hitch on my GLA250, they said no and then told me it "could" affect the warranty. I was surprised and asked does installing a hitch (I only plan to carry my bikes) void the warranty......"well it could if something happened". WTF? Yes or no question, they were going to have someone call me back, but have heard nothing.

Called place I had hitch installed on last car and many friends have used, he said he installs hitches on all cars including mercedes and that is just stupid. I am going to have him install hitch tomorrow.

Very disappointed in dealership.

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
You have to understand that the dealership is bound by Mercedes Benz rules. Since a trailer hitch is not offered as an option for US spec GLA, they can't install aftermarket versions with MB's blessing. They can only install a MB designed and approved hitch and maintain warranty. If the hitch bolts onto existing holes in some portion of the sub-frame not designed for a bending load, would MB be liable for any resulting fatigue cracks? If cutting away a part of the heat shield (required for a Curt hitch install) caused heat damage to the underbody or bumper fascia, would MB be liable for a repair?

Think about it like this; if you accidentally lacerated yourself, an emergency room MD and a veterinarian could both suture it up. The veterinarian would even charge you less. But the vet isn't authorized to do it, and you might not like the scarring aesthetics after it healed.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The fault lies with MB for not supporting hitches in the US market, despite the fact that this car clearly appeals to a segment people who will want to use one AND the fact that it's rated for Class III towing, which no other vehicle in the North American market in this size class is - just adds to the sense of annoyance and disappointment. American towers are begging for a car that gets decent mileage 50 weeks a year and can tow their camper the other two weeks.

·
Registered
140 Posts
In the states there a federal law that prohibits the manufacturer from voiding the warranty just because an aftermarket accessory in installed on a vehicle. Of course there's always a grey area. And then there is the workmanship of the installer, if they screw something up it could void the warranty on that particular piece of the vehicle but not the entire warranty. A bolt on hitch and towing within specs should not be a cause. Then there is the litigious US and everyone is trying to cover themselves.
For those with a GLA45 or 250 looking for a hitch I may have some great news coming, stay tuned till confirmed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
WARNING!!! Read my post on the warranty issue before/after installation. You may in fact loose warranty due to possible water damage from the installation as the installation manual has a critical omission regarding water seal (as currently claimed by the manufacturer) that hat MUST be replaced or sealed to avoid water intrusion. They will void your warranty if this happens and you will have to pay for the repair. As a "junior" member I cannot post the link to the thread but be sure to look it up from the home page. There is away to avoid damage and loose warranty coverage.

Here you go>>>. http://www.glaowners.com/forum/exterior-interior/19434-warning-curt-hitch-receiver-may-cause-costly-car-damage.html

·
Registered
91 Posts
Would be interested to learn what part of the warranty would be voided? If you have an engine problem and a hitch would MB void your engine warranty? It would seem that the response also depends on the dealer. A rep. from the MB dealership in NH suggested that I find an aftermarket installer, as having a hitch installed by them would be ridiculously expensive. Quite the opposite of "it will void your warranty."

·
Registered
17 Posts
In the states there a federal law that prohibits the manufacturer from voiding the warranty just because an aftermarket accessory in installed on a vehicle. Of course there's always a grey area. And then there is the workmanship of the installer, if they screw something up it could void the warranty on that particular piece of the vehicle but not the entire warranty. A bolt on hitch and towing within specs should not be a cause. Then there is the litigious US and everyone is trying to cover themselves.
For those with a GLA45 or 250 looking for a hitch I may have some great news coming, stay tuned till confirmed.

A hitch for the GLA45? Where do I sign?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
They can't void your warranty for the hitch, but they can use it as an excuse for anything that could remotely be blamed on it, and then the onus is on you to prove them wrong, and that can be too much of a hassle for many.

I don't believe the risk is that great, and the Mercedes is equipped for towing in Europe. I'm interesting in the curt hitch, but I can't find any info on whether or not the hands-free kick to open feature for the hatch will work with the hitch installed.

Anyone know if it interferes with the sensor? That would be another thing to consider if you have that option, and I didn't even think of it until a split second before completing my online order for the hitch.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My Merc does mot come equipped with the leg sensor hatch opener thingy. If you send me a pic of its location I can shoot a picture of my hitch to see where it sits in relation to the sensor. I don't care what Merc says about the warranty all I care is that the regular maintenance package that I purchase is respected and it has been so far. Having a hitch and the wiring harness has been a blessing for me because I use it regularly and I see people looking like "It's a Merc I dint think you could use them for towing" Its powerful and I feel safe while pulling. Mine is the 4matic model.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2018 GLA250 4Matic with the lift gate foot sensor and just got had the CURT hitch installed. I have no issues with the lift gate foot sensor post hitch install.

My dealer told me I would not have a warranty void issue with the install as long as I did not use a light kit that would cut into the wiring. The hitch install company used the Tekonsha (119250) T-Connector to avoid cutting into the wires.

I brought him the water intrusion issues I read about on this forum and he made sure to reseal and also added a water seal adhesive, the same kind used on windshield installations for extra sealant.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks for the pics. I think Mine sticks out less than yours of maybe its the same. I used the Curt brand and drilled a hole on the plastic panel so I don't have to open the hatch whenever I need the plug, Its no biggie but I hate loose cables.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine is also the Curt brand. Maybe the hitch cover makes it appear to stick out more?

For the few times I will use the wire I do not mind where they're at. My house is only a few blocks away from the public boat ramp so I doubt I'll even plug it in for that short of a distance but wanted the wire kit just in case!!

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Great minds think alike, I just took some pics and one of them was taken in the exact angle as yours!! I installed a 3rd brake light I bought from harbor freight and I installed a brake light flasher so whenever I brake the light flashes 3xs then it turns solid. I also have a small laser on the bottom that lights up the pavement with a nice design. I added those just for the sake of safety...and I was bored.>:D

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Great minds think alike, I just took some pics and one of them was taken in the exact angle as yours!! I installed a 3rd brake light I bought from harbor freight and I installed a brake light flasher so whenever I brake the light flashes 3xs then it turns solid. I also have a small laser on the bottom that lights up the pavement with a nice design. I added those just for the sake of safety...and I was bored.>
Looks good! I should add I took my pin connector out to show where he installed it, but it tucks into the plastic in the storage compartment so no loose wires sitting around in there Works out nicely for me!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts