Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My GLA 45 reached the port in Baltimore, but is there any way to track it from there to the dealership?

All I have is the VIN# -- so looking forward to it I want to try and find out exactly when I can expect it!

thanks!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
That probably needs the assistance of your sales rep to let you know when it leaves the Vehicle Processing Center and expected time of delivery to your location, with whatever local prep is needed. But the good news is you'll be driving it soon. Congratulations!

·
Registered
880 Posts
Like turbolink said, its up to the dealer now.

Depending on priority it can get to your dealer at various times. Mine was delayed at the ports for months (long story) so it was high priority so it traveled from LA to SF in less than a day.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
That's a bummer.

The MB website seems purposefully deceitful.
At the very least it's misleading or makes you work to get to a "definite maybe." If you notice there's a cross suffix on Remote Start feature, and if you keep clicking the links that go with the additional information, the second window, at the very bottom on the far right, almost grayed out, has a link to View Disclaimers that almost nobody excited about buying a new MB would drill down to. It says "Available on Select 2016 and newer model lines. Check with dealer for details."

Your disappointment is how many of us felt when our sales reps could get no reliable information if 2016 GLAs would come with Apple CarPlay capability. MB advertising said all 2016 models. It turned out, official in October 2015 if I recall correctly, it would be available on GLA builds after 1 December 2015 (mine was September 2015, ordered the previous June).

Another disappointment with complementary MBrace is the car location feature, which really is a handy one for a variety of reasons. It is generally unable to track your car if more than a mile away. Mine works a couple miles away, but if I wonder where it is with my wife driving downtown (15 miles), it won't locate. I'm also guessing the same applies to remote lock/unlock, though I haven't tried it. Yet, the higher level MB MBrace paid services can do all that with no delay. If you're MB that's tactical marketing; if you're the owner, it's sour grapes.

So yes, the excitement of what the free MBrace can do quickly turns into "is that all there is?"

·
Registered
880 Posts
Was disappointed that I can track my car past a mile. They really want you to sign up for the higher services. Got tons of mail to activate the free trials

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
Was disappointed that I can track my car past a mile. They really want you to sign up for the higher services. Got tons of mail to activate the free trials

The frequent harassment to activate MBrace via email and physical mail was one of the three reasons I opted not to activate the trial version on my 2015 GLA250. The other two were that I couldn't see much value to MBrace based on my location and driving habits, and MB required a credit card number to start the trial, meaning I would have to call to cancel if I didn't want to subscribe at the end of the trial period.

I'm doubly glad I opted out since the basic MBrace became a complimentary feature for 2016 models and MB didn't make it retroactive for 2015 owners.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting.

Called MBRACE, gave VIN# and was told no option for remote start with my car.

Called dealership, they said that I will have remote start via mbrace.

...I hope the dealer is correct but I think the mbrace phone line might have more accurate info...

Even if it could be added later I'd really want it.

·
Super Moderator
1,901 Posts
I don't fully understand remote start these days. To my understanding, modern DFI ICEs want to get underway very quickly after starting. I understand the old philosophy of warming the car and passenger compartment, but new design motors, when first started, run rich to heat the catalytic convertor which in turn can wash the oil off the cylinder walls and cause bore scoring. This can be especially true in colder climates. Getting started using minimal load gets past this dangerous phase more quickly.

IMHO, it seems like a heated seat (and steering wheel) is more in order.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wayne, that's exactly why I was so excited about the remote start. I live in a cold climate and a heated steering wheel is (apparently) not an option at all for the GLA's. I did get the heated recaros, but the option of warming up the inside of the car (much less the engine) when it's 15 below sounded like sweet music to my freezing body. I don't care if the engine is warm -- I need to be warm lol.

·
Super Moderator
1,901 Posts
I grew up in Upstate New York and went to college near the Canadian border. There was always a week where the high was 30F below zero. I understand cold. I also understand the heated steering wheel! My Porsche 997.2 has that. The GLA (when we get it) will not. We will miss that, even in the temperate zone of the San Francisco Bay. But the seats are heated!

My worry is in damaging the motor. Ask questions about preferred warm up. Ask why. There are too many instances in the Porsche Forum of scored bores to not take this seriously, at least in my mind. And the scored bore syndrome seems to be across brands and most associated with colder climates where people let the motor idle to warm up.

The GLA with vertical cylinders may be different than the flat 6 of the 911. But from what I've read and been told, I don't think so.

Good luck. Please report if you find anything contrary to what I have written.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So this website states that remote start is available on MY2016 or newer GLA's: (on the right-hand side). But MBrace customer service says this is not true.

http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalAssets/pdfmb/mbraceservicebrochures/Remote_Start_Fact_Sheet.pdf

BUT, they state at the top that rollout for specific MY16 models is subject to change - (I guess it changed).

Please note: Remote Start roll-out for

specific MY16 model lines is subject

to change. Confirm availability with

your dealer.

·
Registered
880 Posts
My train of thought is old school. I would rather start the car remotely and let the car idle for 30 secs while I'm loading the car and go instead of waiting 30 secs in the car.

Don't really let it idle too long but still give it 30 to a minute (cold start)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts