Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2021 GLA 45
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2021 GLA45 and looking to buy a set of TPMS sensors. Any recommendations aside from the overpriced ones from the dealer?

Looked on ebay and amazon but cannot figure out which ones would work out of the box really.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
690 Posts

·
Registered
MY18 GLA 220d, MY 18 GLA 250 4matic edition 1.
163 Posts

A number of existing threads on same, easily searched. Having said that not confirmed for a MY2021 but I wouldn't think Benz have changed their sensor configuration/frequency. The linked thread and product source may be helpful?
@Huey52
How can one tell if they have TPMS sensors on their vehicle?

·
Super Moderator
690 Posts
It's not that easy. Sometimes the in-tire TPMS sensors will have longer & more rigid stems than more typical inflators, but not always. Of course if you ever have to dismount a tire from the rim you'll know.

As a general rule performance vehicles, such as the GLA AMG variant, have in-tire sensors, affording discrete tire pressure readouts. The standard GLA rather relies on the now common ABS-computer and only renders an alert when below/above the set point.

I would presume the 2020+ GLA SUV simply carried forward the same methodology.
@Huey52
How can one tell if they have TPMS sensors on their vehicle?

·
Super Moderator
851 Posts
Generally speaking.

If you have rubber value stems you will have the ABS system. This measures the speed of each tire and one tire is low on the pressure it will turn slower and you get a warning.

If you have a hard metal stem then that sends a signal of the tire pressure and the display will show the pressure.
I have a 2019 GLA 250, plus a 2019 SLC300, and both use the TPMS type sensors. I would think your 2021 would also have TPMS sensors.

In my 2019 owner's manual has a note Canada could have either system. You display does it show Tire pressure by tire or just says tire pressure is OK. By tire should have TPMS.

Reactions: Rothbury

·
Super Moderator
690 Posts
Good point Sir. Considering our 2018 does in fact discretely display each tire's pressure, if that steering wheel binnacle display is activated, then we too must have in-tire sensors.
Benz sometimes lags behind competitors (e.g. VW AG) in adopting new technologies, which to their credit are not necessarily better ("the best or nothing").

Apologies if I misled anyone. However it's possible that on the 2020+, non-AMG, GLA they may have now adopted the more common ABS-computation methodology.
... Your display, does it show tire pressure by tire or just says tire pressure is OK? If by-tire it should have in-tire TPMS sensors.

·
Registered
136 Posts
You can look at the vehicle data card.
There is a TPMS low and TPMS high with individual sensors.
As far as buying ebay and even amazon:
These have a one-time, single-use button size battery built into them.
There are threads about people that have worked to replace this, but the amount of work needed is just too much.
And when you're done and resealing the assembly, you just don't know if you may have to pay to take the tire off one more time, because the rig you put together failed.
Mercedes has responsibility as far as the shelf life of these and won't sell them like ebay 2-3 years later "brand new, unused", you drive 6 months then lose connection to them because the battery died.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts