Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw an online price list for the GLA 250matic in Edinburgh Scotland. It had a towing option which I am interested in. If my math conversion was correct it looked like a $500 option and had a 3,500 lb. capacity. I could not get that option on the one I ordered here in the US 8 days ago. Does anybody know MB mode of operation. Is that something they will offer later?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Options are different in different markets sometimes. I don't think they are withholding it and plan to release it later or something for NA. Seems like something that should be an option though. its disappointing.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Signed up for the GLA owners club UK. There is an extensive discussion about tow. It can be factory ordered on some models other than the AMG. I believe they have a smaller motor than the US spec motor. Sounds like the wiring is a nightmare if you add it later.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I just don't see the GLA as being a particularly capable machine in terms of towing. It's nice it can do something, but if you are planning on towing a lot I'm not sure that the GLA is the right choice of vehicle.

·
Registered
102 Posts
It will tow up to a specific amount, not much but good enough for a vehicle in it's segment, but for anything heavy duty, you might as well rent a truck

·
Registered
184 Posts
I just don't see the GLA as being a particularly capable machine in terms of towing. It's nice it can do something, but if you are planning on towing a lot I'm not sure that the GLA is the right choice of vehicle.
3500 lbs, you need more buy something else. I think Merc makes a clear proposition...

If you're planning on hauling your not buying a GLA regardless?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a truck for towing heavy loads. I only plan on towing a dirt bike or two about 400 miles to ride in the mountains. I would buy a small trailer for this. The GLA would be the preferred vehicle.

·
Registered
694 Posts
having a truck to do any heavy duty towing is the best thing to do, i wouldn't want to cut close to the GLA's towing capacity, especially if it's a vehicle i plan on keeping beyond it's warranty term.... play it safe.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you Heretic 13. That does look like a good option. I will probably wait till my warranty is over to actually install a hitch unless the dealer can provide that accessory earlier. Then the trailer I get will also haul a lawnmower. I am thinking of a tilt one. I don't want the fold up ramp. My brother had one of those and described it like a giant drag chute on the highway. Probably 4'x 8' or 5' x 10'. That way I can carry some gas cans and riding gear also. Maybe a cooler full of frosty ones. I live in the country so space to store the trailer is not a concern.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't get my car delivered for a couple of more weeks. Does anyone have the placard described in the owners manual? If so what does it list as the capacity?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have my car now and have studied the owners manual. My car list a maximum combined weight of cargo and occupants of 794 lbs. The trailer nose weight if my car is empty except for me is 619 lbs. (794 - 175 = 619 lbs.) The owners manual further states that a trailers nose weight is usually 10% to 15% the gross weight of the trailer and its load. So if I have a 1,750 pound trailer, 350 lb. motorcycle and 60 lb,s. of gear that 2,160 lbs. Being conservative and using a 20% number for the nose weight would be 432 lb. nose weight.

794 lb capacity - 175lb. driver - 432lb. trailer motorcycle and gear = 187 lb. remainder. If I added a second motorcycle: 350lb. x 20% = 70lb. 187lb. remainder - 70 lb. = 117lb. remainder.

I might want to consider an aluminum trailer those can weigh under 700 lbs.

The next area for research is the transmission's ability to do this.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
The GLA only weighs 3300lbs, so you're likely only going to be pulling jet skis, small U-Haul trailers etc.
ECU tuning the GLA for more power would help, because the recent tunes developed will go up to 310-325ft/lbs of torque. However, the chassis is probably not setup to tow much, even with a tune. The GLA does GREAT off-road, but as a 'towing' vehicle... I wouldn't suggest it.

The transmission can handle it, it's the same unit used in many VERY high powered vehicles in the Benz lineup. However, I'd go to manual mode and always start in 2nd if towing anything significant.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts