Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new here and shopping for a GLA I really do not want to order the car and have to wait 10 weeks so I've been looking in different MB inventory my must-have's in the car are panoramic sunroof, heated seats and rearview camera, color of choice would be mountain gray. But I'm having a hard time finding everything that I want in the color mountain gray but I'm seeing everything that I want in the color night black so my question is, will a black car be hard to keep up when it comes to the fading and etc. I've been hearing some bad stories about black cars. Will you please give me your opinion about the color Night black on the GLA thanks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was in two minds which colour to choose, MG or Black and decided in the end with MG and night black very nice contrast with the pano roof black.... glad I did in the end lovely combination.. the GLA is a great car in any colour as long as it suits you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was in two minds which colour to choose, MG or Black and decided in the end with MG and night black very nice contrast with the pano roof black.... glad I did in the end lovely combination.. the GLA is a great car in any colour as long as it suits you.
Okay. Thank you. With the black car i heard that it gets dirty really fast and can fade. And every little scratch scrape or dint will show up really bad. I don't know what to do. Lol

·
Registered
694 Posts
although black cars involve more care to keep them looking good, i find that the black the GLA is offered in is just amazing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just received news from the MB dealer, he found me the GLA in Mountain gray with everything that I want in it. He's buying it from another MB location in another State close by. He said it will be here by Thursday!! So Happy! Thanks for your opinion on the night black color

·
Registered
63 Posts
designo Mountain Grey Magno (matte finish)

I am curious about the designo Mountain Grey Magno (matte finish). I have never seen this color on a car and it is very hard to tell from a picture on the computer what it would look like. It would be difficult to order a $2500 upgrade without seeing it first. Don't know if I have ever seen a matte finish offered before. Any experience with this?

·
Registered
94 Posts
My dealer had a car in the showroom with this paint. I can't remember the model but the MSRP was about $200,000. The paint is very distinctive; there's no mistaking it for any other gray paint. I would have considered it if not for the extra care required, especially the requirement for hand washing.

Here is a drool-worthy video of a GLA 45 AMG with the Designo paint.

http://youtu.be/iI1nSPjfDoY

·
Registered
353 Posts
In Singapore, the matt colour would be a US$3,700 option. Saw it at the showroom and it looks absolutely beautiful and I almost opted for it.

But from a friend that owns a spray shop, she mentioned that it would be a pain to blend the paint if you get a ding on door or panel and you have to respray the door/panel and it doesn't quite match with the rest of the car.

So in the end, I went with the "normal" MG colour and saved the money. :)

Took a pic of this matt colour GLA45 at the showroom!

Attachments

Reactions: ZomZom

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
I owned a black car once. NEVER AGAIN!

Reactions: zodiac665

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have the MG version and I am completely happy with it. That said I've seen the Designo MG and it is amazing. Not sure if it is $2K+ USD amazing but it is one thing of beauty. :)

SOLD: '99 ML320 | '01 C320 SPORT | '02 ML320 | '05 E500
'15 GLA250 - SPORT, PREMIUM, MULTIMEDIA, PANORAMA, BI-XENON

·
Registered
84 Posts
Another MG owner here. Love the color.

Had a black car before this one and while it looked great, seeing all the scratches and dings really drove me nuts. I live/work in the city so keeping a black car perfect is a pipe dream.

I saw the Designo in person and it's amazing. But its a higher maintenance than I wanted to pay for. For the cost, I'd almost prefer getting a vinyl rap instead if I really craved the matte look,

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just picked up my designo Mountain Gray Magno this morning. For the deal that I got, It was not any more than the Metallic and I can afford to pay for someone to hand wash it every so often. I was apprehensive about it myself, but it's so unique and gorgeous! I'm thinking it will not show dirt much either.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Stone chips and small dings on the matte finish are very difficult to repair (also $$$$) so I strongly suggest you consider getting a clear bra installed on the front facia, mirrors, hood and front fenders. There are special clear bra films that are designed for matte finishes

·
Registered
6 Posts
Exactly! I contacted some XPEL dealers this morning for pricing on the Stealth film.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Stone chips and small dings on the matte finish are very difficult to repair (also $$$$) so I strongly suggest you consider getting a clear bra installed on the front facia, mirrors, hood and front fenders. There are special clear bra films that are designed for matte finishes
...or you could just not tailgate SUVs and trucks. :)

I don't think I've ever seen a bra or cover that looked good, and I've seen what happens when sand gets in between that bra and the paint...worse than what you might have gotten with rock chips!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Lots of places where there is far too much traffic to stay back beyond stone range. That said I also hate the look of clear bras. Going back to the beginning the warnings about matte paint seem well founded, you hear a lot of complaints about it over on the BMW forums from owners. Way, way more than black. About its durability, difficulty painting it, easily stained by bird droppings which is how many people learned about the difficulty of matching the paint, harder to sell, trades for less, on and on.

Over on those forums they have a couple sayings about black. Black is the girl you'll date again even though you know you probably shouldn't is one of my favorites but I think the best is black isn't a color, its a lifestyle choice. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts